Downloading Problem: Help!!

Post by Sam Latell » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Well here's the problem...  I've got an IBM (drats) which doesn't
compare to my Apple IIgs at all (the IIgs is a real computer, along with
my Apple //e!!!).

        Anway, I'm using the IBM with Netscape v3.0, to download some Apple II
stuff off the Net, and once downloaded.  I then copy the files from my
IBM onto a disk and sneakernet it over to the GS via disk.  Once the
files have been copied to the IIgs hard drive, and I try to unzip with
ShrinkitGS the files come up corrupted (and sometimes when I click on
the Icon it says its corrupted).

        I've tried almost everything, under Netscape v3.0 I have SHK and BXY
setup, under the Helper/applications menu.  Also, I use Proterm v3.1,
set file type info, on the Apple II software that I've downloaded.  So,
everything should work properly, but it doesn't does anyone, have any
other suggestions.

Thanks,
Sam

Downloading Problem: Help!!

Post by Rubywan » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Sam Latella writes ...

Quote:

> Well here's the problem...  I've got an IBM (drats) which doesn't
> compare to my Apple IIgs at all (the IIgs is a real computer, along with
> my Apple //e!!!).

     Quite right; a fine introduction!

Quote:

>         .... I'm using the IBM with Netscape v3.0, to download some Apple II
> stuff off the Net, and once downloaded.  I then copy the files from my
> IBM onto a disk and sneakernet it over to the GS via disk. Once the
> files have been copied to the IIgs hard drive, and I try to unzip with
> ShrinkitGS the files come up corrupted (and sometimes when I click on
> the Icon it says its corrupted).

>         I've tried almost everything, under Netscape v3.0 I have SHK and BXY
> setup, under the Helper/applications menu.

     This could be your problem. It is best to download Apple2 .SHK and
.BXY files as BIN with no "help" from helper utilities. Aside from
possible screwups by the helpers, possible file mislabeling, and
questions about telecom program settings, it must take a lot longer to
transfer the files via NULL modem after un-Shrinking on the PC.

     In general, it is best to avoid helper processing of downloaded
Apple II files. This includes .ZIP files, too-- you can use PKUNZIP to
handle these on your GS. So, remove or deactivate your helpers. A good
check is to see that each downloaded file shows up on your PC hard disk
with no change in size from that shown on the source site.

Quote:>  Also, I use Proterm v3.1,
> set file type info, on the Apple II software that I've downloaded.  So,
> everything should work properly, but it doesn't does anyone, have any
> other suggestions. ....

     With very few exceptions, there is no need to worry about setting
filetype for .SHK or .BXY files. When you start GS-ShrinkIt (also called
"ShrinkIt-GS" and "GSHK") a .SHK or .BXY file you've NULL modemmed may
not show up as an archive. Just click the "all files" button.
GS-ShrinkIt can un-Shrink a .SHK or .BXY even if it has the wrong
filetype.

     Try downloading the files with no helpers, NULL z-modemming them to
your GS, and un-Shrinking them via GS-ShrinkIt.

Rubywand

Downloading Problem: Help!!

Post by Sam Latell » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well looks like I found an easier way to do this, just find the program
WS_FTP, for Windows.  This program will let you FTP files properly to
your hard drive with binary, then copy to disk, and shuffle it over to
the GS, and open up with ShrinkitGS, works GREAT!!!!

Wow, now I can get back to having fun on the GS, by using my Crappy IBM
to get my GS programs.  What does this mean, well the IBM is doing all
the work for me while I'm having fun on the IIGS and //e!!!!!

I guess IBM's are useful for something besides the dumpster!!! :)

Sam

P.S. Thanks to all who responded here, and in e-mail.

Downloading Problem: Help!!

Post by Sam Latell » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well, it looks like I just made anothe small discovery (well its a
discovery for me anyway)!!!  If you're using an IBM & Netscape to
download Apple II software.  Make sure you place Shrinkit/Binary stuff
in Helper/Applications menu of Netscape.  Then go to an Apple II FTP
site, such as:

grind.isca.uiowa.edu

However, here is the catch don't go to this Apple II site using:

http://grind.isca.uiowa.edu

under Netscape...

You must use:

ftp://grind.isca.uiowa.edu

under Netscape you can ftp (and if I'm correct also gopher somewhere
too), and everything works fine, I've tried it on several Apple II files
and everything seems to be intact with No corruption.  You can then
transfer via disk from the IBM to the IIgs without doing anything.
ShrinkitGS will unpack it properly...

Sam

1. problem w/downloading apple II images...HELP!!

I have an apple IIc for which I am trying to download games for, most
notably The Bilestoad and Questron. I've found the site at robot.asimov.com,
but I only have internet access on a thinkpad 750 running WARP. Is there
any way I can convert these files to 5.25 readable apple diskettes? If I need
to bring my IIc to work and connect it in some way, that's fine. I do not have
an apple 3.5" drive, but I do have an IBM 5.25" at my disposal. It seems like
it would be possible to link the two computers and download to the apple but I
need instructions. Thanks in advance.

                                                        azalin

2. Tennis Prep with Anna Kournikova 1

3. Help download problem

4. SPEC nrs for Alpha 21164

5. HELP download problem

6. Metod to burn a Dvd on 640mb CD rom

7. Apple website downloading problems

8. Stepper motor getting hot

9. PCT and Telix: Problem downloading from GENIE

10. Downloading Shrinkit (Problems)

11. Solved HCGS download problems, disregard previous post.

12. Some recent download problems

13. downloading problems