Applewin conversion

Post by Stephen Babbag » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi!  I'm wanting desperately to use Applewin software for an
educational purpose.

We have some old custom software designed for the Apple.  I know it's
ancient - but it's still very useful.  I'm wanting to transfer it onto the
PC environment as the computer we are running it on is literally falling
apart and we cannot get any more hardware for it. (It's for the school I
work at).

I'm trying to transfer the information to a PC readable diskette.  It so
happens that the school has an Apple IIgs still lying around so I've managed
to make  a ProDos disk (3 1/2") and now I want to use Dsk2file.  What is it?
Where can I find the program?

All I've managed to find are 'duplicate disk' which doesn't seem to work as
the disk sizes are different - and copy files - which will work - but won't
make a single file - so I'm guessing I wont' be able to make it an Applewin
image later on once I hunt down a mac and transfer it.

I have practically no knowledge of the apple OS - so a step by step command
line process would be _really_ useful. (also the other methods of transfer
are going to be _really_ tricky.)

Thanks for any help you can offer.  I'm really hoping this email gets to
where it's meant to, it looks like a bulletin board somewhere - but since I
can't see that - a reply email would be great!

Thanks in advance,

=-) Babs
(a.k.a. Stephen Babbage - network administrator)

Applewin conversion

Post by Rubywan » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Stephen Babbage writes ...

Quote:

> Hi!  I'm wanting desperately to use Applewin software for an
> educational purpose.

> We have some old custom software designed for the Apple.  I know it's
> ancient - but it's still very useful.  I'm wanting to transfer it onto the
> PC environment as the computer we are running it on is literally falling
> apart and we cannot get any more hardware for it. (It's for the school I
> work at).

> I'm trying to transfer the information to a PC readable diskette.  It so
> happens that the school has an Apple IIgs still lying around so I've managed
> to make  a ProDos disk (3 1/2") and now I want to use Dsk2file.  What is it?
> Where can I find the program?

     DSK2FILE is an Apple II program which is used to create disk image files
from diskettes. It can also convert disk image files back to diskette form.
DSK2FILE v5.5 can be downloaded from several sites. You can get it from Ground
at ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/apple2/Emulators/ .

     For a discussion of disk images and utilities, see
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2FLUTILS.html#006 .

Quote:

> All I've managed to find are 'duplicate disk' which doesn't seem to work as
> the disk sizes are different - and copy files - which will work - but won't
> make a single file - so I'm guessing I wont' be able to make it an Applewin
> image later on once I hunt down a mac and transfer it.

     DSK2FILE v5.5 can create images of 5.25" and 3.5" diskettes so long as the
diskettes are not copy-protected. The 3.5" disk image could be a problem for
most Apple II emulators which run on a PC. For example, I'm pretty sure
AppleWin still accepts only images of 5.25" disks (not sure if Apple PC can use
3.5" images).

     If you go to a Mac, you can, evidently, use Catakig. Otherwise, for 3.5"
images in a standard PC environment, you may need to go to a IIgs emulator such
as XGS. Again, though, I'm not sure. Perhaps an emu expert will clarify your
options.

     If the software you have placed on a 3.5" disk comes from 5.25" diskettes,
you will, most likely, be better off converting the 5.25" diskettes into 5.25"
disk images and using those images with AppleWin on the PC.

Quote:> I have practically no knowledge of the apple OS - so a step by step command
> line process would be _really_ useful. (also the other methods of transfer
> are going to be _really_ tricky.)

     If you are running a version of the IIgs 'desktop system', you are in an
environment that acts a lot like Windows95 and the OS is fairly transparent. If
you are booting ProDOS or DOS 3.3 and are interested in using typed in commands
from the "]" prompt, see ...
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2DOSMM.html . For some getting started info
which may apply, see http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs5MAINHALL.html .

     Creating disk images, especially 5.25" images, with DSK2FILE is pretty
much a matter of selecting a few menu items-- mainly, you accept the defaults
and tell the program you want to create an image. Creating 5.25" disk images is
even easier using the IIgs program ASIMOV (also on Ground in the same folder as
DSK2FILE).  Both DSK2FILE and ASIMOV come in ShrinkIt (.shk) compressed files
along with directions.

     As you say, the moderately tricky part is getting the software you need.
If you have any telecom software (like for connecting to a modem), you can
probably use a NULL modem connection and transfer DSK2FILE or ASIMOV  as
ShrinkIt .shk files. For information on NULL modem setups and transferring
files, see http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2T1TCOM.html .

     To uncompress most ShrinkIt files (including DSK2FILE), you can use 8-bit
ShrinkIt (which is available as an archive that can self-extract on an Apple
II). For information on getting and using ShrinkIt, see
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2FLUTILS.html#002 .

     If you have no suitable telecom software for the IIgs, a different route
is to use ADTgs. It is a package with PC and Apple II programs which you uses a
NULL modem connection. The package includes directions for sending the Apple
part of ADTgs to your Apple IIgs without needing a telecom program on the IIgs.

     Once it's going, ADTgs lets you transfer disk image files from the PC
directly to 5.25" diskettes on your IIgs-- i.e. the resulting diskettes are
ready to boot and run whatever software they contain. For information about
ADTgs, see http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2T1TCOM.html#003 .

     DSK2FILE, ShrinkIt, a number a good telecom programs, and other utilities
are available on disk images which convert to bootable diskettes on the Apple
II side. Ground has a good collection of these disk images (.dsk files) in its
Useful Stuff folder at ftp://ground.ecn.uiowa.edu/2/apple2/useful.stuff/Disks/
.

     Of course, you may be able to save a _lot_ of time by contacting a users'
group in Australia and obtaining disks with everything you need. There is a
listing of users' groups at ...
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs9USERGROUPS.html.

     And, besides, you can alsways subscribe to the comp.emulators.apple2 and
comp.sys.apple2 newsgroups and post more questions.

Rubywand

Applewin conversion

Post by Frank Ha » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hi!  I'm wanting desperately to use Applewin software for an
>educational purpose.

>We have some old custom software designed for the Apple.  I know it's
>ancient - but it's still very useful.  I'm wanting to transfer it onto the
>PC environment as the computer we are running it on is literally falling
>apart and we cannot get any more hardware for it. (It's for the school I
>work at).

>I'm trying to transfer the information to a PC readable diskette.  It so
>happens that the school has an Apple IIgs still lying around so I've managed
>to make  a ProDos disk (3 1/2") and now I want to use Dsk2file.  What is it?
>Where can I find the program?

>All I've managed to find are 'duplicate disk' which doesn't seem to work as
>the disk sizes are different - and copy files - which will work - but won't
>make a single file - so I'm guessing I wont' be able to make it an Applewin
>image later on once I hunt down a mac and transfer it.

>I have practically no knowledge of the apple OS - so a step by step command
>line process would be _really_ useful. (also the other methods of transfer
>are going to be _really_ tricky.)

I don't really understand what you are trying to do.

Is the software that you have for the IIgs or the IIe computers?
The AppleWin program does not run IIgs programs as far as I know.

The other thing that I'm not following how you want to run the
software on the AppleWin program.  To the best of my knowlegde,
the AppleWin program only uses 5 1/4" disk images.  I don't
think it runs single files or 3 1/2" disk images.

If the software is already on a 5 1/4" Apple disk, you can
connect an Apple with a Super Serial Card and an IBM PC
through a null modem cable I believe.  There is a program
called ADT that does the transfer for you.

If the software is already on 5 1/4" disks and you have no way
to transfer them, I have an Apple IIe in my attic that I use
to transfer images when needed.

If this is not what you are after, I apologize.

--
Frank Hahn

Today is the first day of the rest of the mess