A Finder suggestion (serious!)

Post by TMP.. » Sat, 10 Aug 1991 16:34:00

This is a not-so-idle thought, although obviously too late for now.  The
desktop metaphor of the Finder is somewhat at odds with the view
presented by the standard file dialogues.  The two also do not present
the powerful kind of construct piping and the notion of stdin and stdout
give you in Unix.  For certain kinds of objects it does make sense to
have a single all-inclusive application that deals with them.  (Click on
a word-processor file and you get the appropriate word-processor; click
on a picture and you get your favorite paint program [provided the icons
have been set up right.]) But for a lot of objects there are several
different applications ("commands") that might be appropriate for each
object.  I would like a way of being able to use the Finder to select
one (or possibly more) objects and then select a (possibly arbitary)
application to operate on them.  (I can see two ways of doing it, I
don't know which feels better.  One would be to have a menu item that
said "select application" after which you clicked on any executable; the
other would be to have an easily configurable way of adding ANY
application to the Finder's menu during system load.  Gee -- I wonder if
one could write an NDA to do that right now?  If I have selected a
number of items in the Finder, and I then select an NDA, is there a
way/convention for the NDA to find out/have passed to it a list of what
is currently selected?)  This wouldn't require any changes in
applications that currently expect to find pointers to their inputs from
the message center.  What then would be also nice is a convention for
what to do with outputs:  if there were a default notion of a standard
output one could imagine a way of selecting a sequence of applications
where the output of each became the input to the next.

(This all inspired by using several available programs, none of which
does exactly what I want, but when pieced together they do.)

Post by Brian T » Sun, 11 Aug 1991 06:34:26

>                          ... But for a lot of objects there are several
>different applications ("commands") that might be appropriate for each
>object.  I would like a way of being able to use the Finder to select
>one (or possibly more) objects and then select a (possibly arbitary)
>application to operate on them.  (I can see two ways of doing it, I
>don't know which feels better.  One would be to have a menu item that
>said "select application" after which you clicked on any executable; ...

    If there were some extension made to the rBundle resource (or maybe it
supports this already), one could link a multitude of applications to a
single filetype/filename.  Then when you double-clicked the file icon, the
Finder would pop up a dialog with a scrolling list of all the applications
assigned to that icon.  Or, you could have a "preferred" application which
would automatically run without intervention, but have the list pop up only
when you hold down the Option key when double-clicking.  A third idea is
borrowed from System 7.0.  Grab your file icons and drag them over an
application icon.  Application icons now work like folder/disk/Trash icons.
They highlight when you drag icons over them, and when you "drop" them into
the application, it will run and open the documents.  Kind of a neat metaphor,
if you ask me.

    BTW, did you get ShowPic 6.0 OK?
--

2705-1510 Riverside  |           - or -          |   madness, yet there

Post by rud.. » Sun, 11 Aug 1991 16:26:34

>         I would like a way of being able to use the Finder to select
>one (or possibly more) objects and then select a (possibly arbitary)
>application to operate on them.

In Mac System 7, you can drag a document icon on top of an application icon,
and it will start the application with that document loaded.  Andy, if
this feature isn't in the GS System 6.0 Finder, it (or something like it)
should be.

                           \ "It's not how high you are, /   Disclaimer:
Ben Rudiak-Gould            \  it's Hi, how are you?"   /  Opinions are mine...

                              \_______________________/  HA HA HAAA HAAAAAA!!

Post by Andrew Nichol » Sun, 11 Aug 1991 17:06:23

>In Mac System 7, you can drag a document icon on top of an application icon,
>and it will start the application with that document loaded.  Andy, if
>this feature isn't in the GS System 6.0 Finder, it (or something like it)
>should be.

There are a lot of things which should be in Finder 6.0, but aren't due to
time constraints.  Since we are actually going to try to make System 6.0 for
the GS a reality we'll definitely need to ship it, and that means that feature
suggestions are unlikely to be implemented in this system disk.  sorry.

andy

--
Andy Nicholas                   GEnie & America-Online: shrinkit

As a rule of thumb, one MBA can neutralize the efforts of five good engineers.
                                        -- Guy Kawasaki

1. suggestion for finder

ok, since I'm not finding enough time to do these, I might as well give
someone and idea on these things which would be really neat for the GS.

A scripting program which records some simple key and mouse combinations.
this way you can record may repeted tasks and execute them easily.

A dos shell in NDA form or specific to the finder which lets you have
prodos commands and some more commands with cut and paste to work from the
finder without that tedious open window and drag thing.

Icons which have an option of popping up on the desktop as soon as you open
up a window instead of always staying on the desktop.

Just some ideas, Andy maybe you can implement (all) some of these.:)

2. Kernel32.dll error

3. Finder suggestion for Dave Lyons

4. Can unambiguous grammars be parsed in linear time?

5. suggestion for Finder/ GSOS

6. Another SBC 'Come Back Home' Gimmick

7. Outliner Suggestion

8. suggestion for next Finder

9. Finder suggestion for Dave Lyons

10. Addition/Patch suggestion to Finder

11. Finder suggestion

12. Interface suggestion: Copying duplicate files in Finder