Error codes

Post by Eric S. Fo » Mon, 09 May 1994 08:18:58

Where is the //GS built-in test documented and the error codes explained?

I've looked through every reference I have and no luck.

--

Error codes

Post by Joe Busneng » Mon, 09 May 1994 12:28:24

 >Where is the //GS built-in test documented and the error codes explained?
 >
 >I've looked through every reference I have and no luck.
 >
 >
 >--

It's documented in one of the IIGS tech notes.  I don't have the index on disk
anymore, but I'm sure someone else can tell you exactly which one it is.

                   ____   ___   __  _   __ ___ ____
-- Peter Mularski   ____  |  \ <_  / \ |_   |   ____

   Sent from the ANSITerm Editor at 10:31:12 PM on  7-May-94

   "Vegetarians eat vegetables.  Beware of humanitarians!"

Error codes

Post by John Fens » Tue, 10 May 1994 04:33:09

Quote:>Where is the //GS built-in test documented and the error codes explained?

Error Format: AABBCCDD

AA =    01: ROM Test
BB =    Failed checksum
DD =    01 if the test encountered bad RAM

AA =    02: RAM Test
BB =    Bank Number (or $FF for ADB Tool call error)
CC =    Bit(s) failed

AA =    03: Soft Switches and State Register Test
BB =    State Register bit (if any)
CC =    Low byte of soft switch address

AA =    04: RAM Address Test
BB =    Failed bank number (or $FF for ADB Tool call error)
CCDD =  Failed address

AA =    05: Speed Test
BB =    01:  Speed stuck slow
        02:  Speed stuck fast

AA =    06: Serial Test
BB =    01:  Register R/W
        04:  Tx Buffer empty status
        05:  Tx Buffer empty failure
        06:  All Sent Status fail
        07:  Rx Char available
        08:  Bad data

AA =    07: Clock Test
DD =    01:  Fatal error occurred and the test is aborted

AA =    08: Battery RAM Test
BB =    01:  Address test and CC = bad address
        02:  Non-volatile RAM failed and CC = pattern, DD = address

AA =    09: Apple Desktop Bus Test
BBCC =  Bad checksum
DD =    01:  Apple Desktop Bus tools call encountered a fatal error

AA =    0A: Shadow Register Test
BB =    01:  Text page 1 fail
        02:  Text page 2 fail
        03:  Apple Desktop Bus Tool call error
        04:  Power On Clear bit error

AA =    0B : Interrupts Test
BB =    01:  VBL interrupt time-out
        02:  VBL IRQ status fail
        03:  1/4 sec interrupt
        04:  1/4 sec interrupt
        06:  VGC IRQ
        07:  Scan line

AA =    0C :  Sound Test
DD =    01:  RAM data error
        02:  RAM address error
        03:  Data register failed
        04:  Control register failed
        05:  Oscillator interrupt timeout

Error codes

Post by David Emps » Wed, 11 May 1994 21:40:24

Quote:>  >Where is the //GS built-in test documented and the error codes explained?

>  >I've looked through every reference I have and no luck.
> It's documented in one of the IIGS tech notes.  I don't have the
> index on disk anymore, but I'm sure someone else can tell you exactly
> which one it is.

It is IIgs Technical Note #95 (TN.IIGS.095), "ROM Diagnostic Errors".

One point I should mention here, since it seems to come up so often:
if you have a ZIP GS installed and enabled, the IIgs will _always_
fail some of its diagnostic tests (the ones that test the processor
speed and use the processor to time hardware interrupt sources).

This is noted in the ZIP GS manual.  The tests that fail are 0Bxxxxxx
and 0Cxxxxxx.  If the "counter delay" is disabled (SW1-4 ON) then the
IIgs will also fail test 05xxxxxx.

If you want to run the test properly, you must disable the ZIP GS, by
turning the computer off, setting SW1-6 to the OFF position, then
powering up again and running the self-test (by holding down both
Apple and Option).

Here is the key information from the technote.

If the IIgs fails one of its tests, an 8-digit hexadecimal number is
printed.  The first two digits indicate the general class of the
failure (the test number), and the remaining digits provide more
information.

The failure codes are:

01xxxxxx    ROM failure (or RAM failure if the last two digits are 01)
02xxxxxx    RAM failure or ADB tool call error
03xxxxxx    Soft switches and state register
04xxxxxx    RAM address failure or ADB tool call error
05xxxxxx    Speed error
06xxxxxx    Serial port failure
07xxxxxx    Clock failure
08xxxxxx    Battery RAM failure
09xxxxxx    Apple Desktop Bus failure
0Axxxxxx    Shadow register failure
0Bxxxxxx    Interrupt failure
0Cxxxxxx    Sound failure (Ensoniq or RAM access)

See the technote for full details.
--
David Empson

Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Error codes

Post by Hickey / Michael Gerard (I » Mon, 16 May 1994 09:46:42

[chomp]

>One point I should mention here, since it seems to come up so often:
>if you have a ZIP GS installed and enabled, the IIgs will _always_
                                                            ^^^^^^
>fail some of its diagnostic tests (the ones that test the processor
>speed and use the processor to time hardware interrupt sources).

>This is noted in the ZIP GS manual.  The tests that fail are 0Bxxxxxx
>and 0Cxxxxxx.  If the "counter delay" is disabled (SW1-4 ON) then the
>IIgs will also fail test 05xxxxxx.

>If you want to run the test properly, you must disable the ZIP GS, by
>turning the computer off, setting SW1-6 to the OFF position, then
>powering up again and running the self-test (by holding down both
>Apple and Option).
>David Empson

>Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Always fail?
^^^^^^
Mine _never_ fails that test! I'll just count myself lucky!

BTW - It does fail other tests from time to time.... but I just put it
down to sunspots, clouds or winds from the sea :-)

       __  |\       Michael Hickey
     .^  |_| \_

 /    Canberra  \
 \      ___   \./     35.17S 148.08E
  \_.--'  "v_._/

1. AsiMov/GS error code

I am getting an error when I try to make an image w/ Asimov
#0043  'invalid ref number'
Anybody know what this error relates to?
Thanx,  Greg
greg dot chi via snet dot net
using Agent 1.93/32.576

2. Switch Identity OE ask twice password

3. Error code 681

4. No dial tone on G85

5. ProDOS 8 error code $88

6. iPaq 3670 Synchronization with ACT! 2000

7. TransWarpGS error codes

8. VMS UUDECODE

9. TWGS Error Codes

10. 110B GS error code