Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by Obsbedi » Mon, 07 May 2001 14:48:47

I've found some nice fonts on the web that I'd like to use with AppleWorks.
I've found a converter that changes IBM TrueType Fonts to Mac TT Fonts, but how
can these be converted to GS.Fonts?
Jay Edwards

Post by Greg Buchne » Mon, 07 May 2001 22:48:37

> I've found some nice fonts on the web that I'd like to use with AppleWorks.
> I've found a converter that changes IBM TrueType Fonts to Mac TT Fonts, but
> how can these be converted to GS.Fonts?

Pointless from Joe Kohn and Shareware Solutions II

<http://users.foxvalley.net/~joko/westcode.html>

It uses Mac Truetype Fonts to do Truetype under GS/OS 6.  Works great,
relied on it for years...

Greg B.
--
Note:  To e-mail me, replace nobody with gjb
I don't get junk e-mail and intend to keep it that way.

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by Cturle » Tue, 08 May 2001 01:34:58

IBM TT fonts can be converted to Apple IIgs TT fonts (without the Mac step of
conversion) using the 'Font Pimp' - 'freeware-thank you-ware' Apple IIgs GS/OS
desktop program.  In order to use those converted
Apple IIgs TT font you will need to have the Pointless program available for
sale from:

Joe Kohn and Shareware Solutions II

http://users.foxvalley.net/~joko/westcode.html

Cheers,
Tom

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by Obsbedi » Tue, 08 May 2001 04:54:01

Thanks for both suggestions.  My IIgs is still mostly a peripheral for my //e,
so I use AppleWorks on the //e all the time and would like to port the TrueType
fonts to the Mac/GS.Font types that SuperFonts can use.  I thought there was a
converter somewhere out there for this.
        Jay Edwards

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by A2M » Tue, 08 May 2001 06:52:14

Jay, if this is true about Pointless (and I think that it is), I have several
original disks which were given to me - without docs. I would be happy to mail
one to you. Let me know if you are interested.

Beverly Cadieux
TEXAS II an international newsletter for users of AppleWorks(R) 5.1

Post by Obsbedi » Tue, 08 May 2001 11:00:56

"IBM TT fonts can be converted to Apple IIgs TT fonts (without the Mac step of
conversion) using the 'Font Pimp' - 'freeware-thank you-ware' Apple IIgs GS/OS
desktop program.  In order to use those converted
Apple IIgs TT font you will need to have the Pointless program ..."

Bev,
        Maybe I'm way off, but I thought that TrueType Fonts were fonts that could
mathematically scale themselves to the point size wanted.  If TO.SuperFonts
could use these, say on my Apple //e, then there would no longer be a need to
have more than one size of any font type--but TO.SuperFonts goes looking for
these very size-limited fonts ("courier.12", not just "courier") not just to
print, but to improve print quality in the highest quality print mode.
TO.SuperFonts even can "create" a nonexistant font if the font size doesn't
exist, but one twice as large does; again, this is in the best quality mode
only.
        Impresssive, but this doesn't sound like TrueType Fonts would work with
TO.SuperFonts on a //e.

Jay

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by A2M » Tue, 08 May 2001 11:13:01

Yes, I know. TT will not work directly with SuperFonts.  But I believe that
Pointless will take the TT, convert and spit out high quality, type $C8, "GS
fonts" for use with TimeOut SuperFonts. My question would be, is it Mac TT or
GS TT (or are they one in the same?).

I never got into TT because they did not work with SuperFonts. I do recall that
Pointless did convert from TT to $C8. What is the name of the font you are
looking for in $C8?  I may have it already.

AOL also had a wonderful archive of $C8 fonts. You might see if that is still
available.

Of course, I have them available on disk. We sold millions of fonts in the good
old days. I had a "real job" back then, and I remember going into work with two
large tote bags full of shipments of fonts, to be mailed at lunch hour. Really
fun back then. Of course, this was all before Pointless existed.

If you have some font names, I can tell you if they exist in $C8. Thousands do.

Post by Obsbedi » Tue, 08 May 2001 12:49:38

http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~kikita/software/tt-converter-15.hqx

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS.Fonts?

Post by Obsbedi » Tue, 08 May 2001 12:50:09

<< Does that utility you have that translates TrueType fonts go the other way,
and where did you get it?  I have a ton of fonts I collected back in the day
for use with Pointless; it'd be nice to have some of them available under
Win98. >>

http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~kikita/software/tt-converter-15.hqx

1. Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

There was an article writtne years ago and published in NAUG's
FORUM about using bitmapped fonts with AppleWork and a laser printer.
You used a program called HPDOWN (which, according to a quick check
is up on Trenco in both a //e and GS format) to load the fonts to the
printer's memory, then called the font from AppleWorks using a
customized printer code.  I remember playing with this shortly after
it was printed--it worked but you had to play around with the
document spacing to make it look good.  You'd have to use Pointless
to change the TT fonts to a bitmapped one, but then you could use
them directly to the laserprinter without having to use
SuperFonts.  This worked with any laserprinter that would be
compatible with the HPII printer.  I was never sure--were there any
inkjet printers that would accept downloaded softfonts, or do all
inkjets need to get font info from the computer instead?

Penman

2. new Ipaq expansion?

3. How to convert PC fonts to Apple fonts?

4. <?> In Editor

5. Converting Mac Fonts to IIgs Bitmap Fonts

6. Panasonic Printers/SCO/Serial I/F

7. How to convert all of "font a" to "font b" in MacWrite?

8. Segate Backup Exec $50 Shipped

9. Converting TeX fonts into Macintosh MS-WORD fonts

10. Converting Postscript Fonts to Outline Fonts

11. Truetype fonts on the GS

12. New TrueType Fonts in GS WorldView

13. TrueType font support for the GS