Downloading Shrinkit (Problems)

Post by DONALD CY L » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi!
        I've had my modem for a few weeks and I have had my share of problems.
The latest is that I can't seem to get the Shrinkit file from Caltech to
run through Binscii to work.

        I've asked a lot of people and I have tried a lot of suggestions,
but none of them seem to work.  I'm going to get Proterm pretty soon, and
I hope that will solve some of the problems.

        Right now I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get it
working.  I have a 2400 baud modem, and use a very old version of TIC (v
.31), so that might be a problem.  I hope to get some suggetions from IIe
owners with 128k, cause Idon't know what's wrong.

        Thanks for any help!

-Don

Post by james ke » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hi!
:       I've had my modem for a few weeks and I have had my share of problems.
: The latest is that I can't seem to get the Shrinkit file from Caltech to
: run through Binscii to work.

:       I've asked a lot of people and I have tried a lot of suggestions,
: but none of them seem to work.  I'm going to get Proterm pretty soon, and
: I hope that will solve some of the problems.

:       Right now I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get it
: working.  I have a 2400 baud modem, and use a very old version of TIC (v
: .31), so that might be a problem.  I hope to get some suggetions from IIe
: owners with 128k, cause Idon't know what's wrong.

:       Thanks for any help!

: -Don

Don--

What protocol are you using to download the files from Caltech.  I
used to have problems while using Kermit protocol -- a protocol which,
sadly, I am still forced to use -- when I did not have both sender and
receiver set to binary transfer.

There seems to be a little confusion in your message.  I believe that
most programs on Caltech are Shrinkit archives without a binscii
wrapper.  Try just running them through Shrinkit alone.

--James Keim

1. Having trouble downloading ShrinkIt archives

     As you can tell from the replies, there are several variables. Missing
something is easy.

     If you are using a moderately recent version of Netscape (e.g. 4.x) on a
PC, then, you are likely to have problems downloading .shk, .sdk, .dsk, and
other exclusively Apple binary type files from most http sites.

     Apparently, the site server tells Netscape that it does not recognize
the file type and the Netscape default is to treat the file as Text. This
seems to mean that the file is downloaded with no changes (as binary) but
processed as Text when it is written to your hard disk. The Text processing
'fixes' line enders, which usually results in 0A and 0D characters being
added and you have a corrupted file.

     A fix which often works is to run a PC utility named "Uncook.exe" on the
file after downloading. Evidently, Uncook uses a good, unmessed-with copy of
the download retained in disk and/or memory cache. So, you should use Uncook
fairly soon after the download (before the cache is over-written).  I've used
Uncook many times to salvage corrupted downloads.

     To get Uncook and for info about how to use it, visit GS WorldView at
http://abandonwarering.com/tiktok/gswvindex.html and click on "Download
Help".

Rubywand

2. Wanted : PS -> ???

3. Apple IIGS Can't load prodos

4. ShrinkIt... more problems

5. Intersolve Multilink - Oracle Varchar2(2000)

6. Transfer Problem With ShrinkIt--Please Advise...

7. ShrinkIt Problems

8. ShrinkIt GS Problem

9. GS Shrinkit 1.1 problem... anybody else?

10. Problem with GS ShrinkIt!!!

11. Shrinkit GS problem