Qix copy protection needs to go

Post by Dan Sorens » Tue, 25 Feb 1992 14:34:32

I have a fairly simple question: does anybody know of a quick method
of defeating the copy protection on Qix GS?  Rocky just sold me his
legit disk, and now I want to install it on my hard drive without
that damn "Please insert the original Qix disk in any drive" BS
message.  Yeah, I can probably take a few hours, disassemble the
relevant softs, and figure out what the problem is, but I hate
reinventing the wheel and was hoping somebody had the answer.

If you have it, e-mail me or otherwise give me a shout.  If you want
to flame me for messing with copyright, those flames can be directed
to /dev/null as I am a software developer and such protection schemes
are useless and obnoxious in my opinion.

<=========================================================================>
<Daniel R. Sorenson   Dod #1066  |If Iowa State University agreed with me >

<teacher, Mrs. Zenz, telling us this. I argued with her, and she punished >
<me for speaking out.  She's dead now."  -- Ben Feen                      >
<=========================================================================>

Post by fisher2.. » Wed, 26 Feb 1992 01:26:15

> I have a fairly simple question: does anybody know of a quick method
> of defeating the copy protection on Qix GS?  Rocky just sold me his
> legit disk, and now I want to install it on my hard drive without
> that damn "Please insert the original Qix disk in any drive" BS
> message.  Yeah, I can probably take a few hours, disassemble the
> relevant softs, and figure out what the problem is, but I hate
> reinventing the wheel and was hoping somebody had the answer.

> If you have it, e-mail me or otherwise give me a shout.  If you want
> to flame me for messing with copyright, those flames can be directed
> to /dev/null as I am a software developer and such protection schemes
> are useless and obnoxious in my opinion.

Same here and I agree with you on the copy protections.  I believe that
Qix uses a "key disk" scheme, and has a signature on the original disk.
If you want to put it on your hard drive, you WILL have to do some
reverse-engineering to change its mind and convince it, "no, you don't
need to go to all that trouble -- just ignore that little bit of code..."
:)  good luck!

Qix copy protection needs to go

Post by Rocky J Giovinaz » Wed, 26 Feb 1992 06:49:35

FYI, tybalt.caltech.edu has deprotection programs for Rastan and Qix.

Rocky Giovinazzo