Need Serious HD Recovery Help PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Need Serious HD Recovery Help PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Post by mgr.. » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

  Okay, first the story, no there's too much, let me sum up.  My hard
drive was running a little slow (Focus, internal 300+meg).  I start
playing, accidentily hit either erase or format for the wrong partition
of my hard drive.  Poof 30megs of utilities up in digital dust.
  I whiped out Deliverance and prayed.  After an hour and a half of
scanning the drive, just on the last block, blip, the program hung.  I
tried again this morning.  Again it hung on the last block.  Hmmmm, I
start inspecting this block and I find data that is not mine and never
was.  That is Microsoft Powerpoint, other PC programs and nick names for
people I've never heard of.  This leads one to believe that Alltech's drives
are refurbs that they never perform a low-level format on.  Urrrg.  Don't
even get me started what I think of Alltech in general and especially
right now.

  Problems:  How does one recover files that are there, but you have no
access to them?  Am I SOL?

    Also, should a hard drive slow down (even when just being scanned by
the computer as it's loading the drive onto the desk top) just because
theres more on it or would this be a framentation problem OR do I have a
deeper problem with it.

     I've wasted so much time in the last two days doing what little I
can.  I'm getting ready to chuck it all, do a low level format,
repartition and spend the next week loading everything off of disks and
reorganizing them on my drive again.  (Plan B, is a FOR SALE on the
apple2.marketplace).
           "Action, Adventure: A Jedi Craves Not These Things."

Post by Nathan Mat » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  I whiped out Deliverance and prayed.  After an hour and a half of
>scanning the drive, just on the last block, blip, the program hung.

   I'd recommend reading the comp.sys.apple2 Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at http://www.visi.com/~nathan/a2/faq/csa2.html
section 8.12. ProSEL is recommended for accidental volme wipes; run it
and tell it not to assume a valid volume bitmap-- it'll scan over the
drive and try to recover files. [Files not in the root directory have
a much better chance of being recovered]

Quote:>    Also, should a hard drive slow down (even when just being scanned by
>the computer as it's loading the drive onto the desk top) just because
>theres more on it or would this be a framentation problem OR do I have a
>deeper problem with it.

   Slow down in transfer speed, slow down in spinning, what? The
rotational speed should remain fairly constant after poweron,
despite fragmentation, etc.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates http://www.visi.com/~nathan/      <*>
# What are the facts? Again and again and again-- what are the _facts_?

Post by JP » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  I whiped out Deliverance and prayed.  After an hour and a half of
>scanning the drive, just on the last block, blip, the program hung.  I
>tried again this morning.  Again it hung on the last block.  Hmmmm, I
>start inspecting this block and I find data that is not mine and never
>was.

Unfortunately, you've come across a bug in Deliverance.  (Vitesse
"management" knew about it for a long time, but refused to take
appropriate action to have it fixed.)

I've sometimes been able to get around the problem by deleting the
"offending" block, and in this case, the block would seem not to be of a
whole lot of use to you.   Also, presuming that the block belongs to a
"tree" file, try editing the file's index block to remove the pointer to
the last block.  (If you need detailed directions on how to do something
like this, you should'nt do it.)

ProSel _sometimes_ can recover files from a volume this badly damaged, but
almost all of the time, if Deliverance chokes before it finishes (the bug
you experienced), ProSel will post a message that says (in effect) that
the task is too complicated to take on.  This showed the difference
between Chris Warner's "agressive" attitude toward designing a directory
repair util and Bredon's "I'm smarter than everyone" approach.  If Vitesse
had been able to work out a decent business arrangement with Chris Warner
to tweak Deliverance to its optimum, the bug would have been eradicated in
the process.

Good luck.

John P.

Need Serious HD Recovery Help PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Post by Don Patri » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

If the previous suggestions don't work, you might try Bag of Tricks by
Quality Software.  It can often recover files when other utilities
fail.