Apple III replacement drive

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Andre » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 19:50:31



I am looking for an Apple III replacement drive or a step motor suitable for
the broken one inside my system, can anyone help me?
Bye
Andrea
 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Quadraje » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:29:11


Quote:>I am looking for an Apple III replacement drive or a step motor suitable
>for
>the broken one inside my system, can anyone help me?
>Bye
>Andrea

   Find you an old working Disk II, which should be plentiful.  If you take the
face plate, door, and PCB off the Disk II, you can swap the mechanism with the
Disk III.  Basically the same drive with a different analog board and
faceplate.  Apple only used 2 different drives, but they were identical as far
as working.  One made by Shugart had a smooth metal finish to the aluminum
inside, the other was all roughed up.  Can't recall the manufacturer anymore.
Shugart has a brown traveller cam, the other had a quieter white cam.

Raymond

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Andre » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 22:00:59


Actually right now I have an old unidisk II, the one sold with the IIGS, and
I am wondering if I can use it, I took a look and it seems pretty different
from the Apple III one, it has the same connection for the read/write head,
the same connector to the computer, or at least it seems to me, since my
Apple III is right now at a technician's for repair, it was him who told me
the step motor was out of order, but I had previously noticed  a bad
functioning of it by myself, since it wasn't spinnig the right way, just
like if something was blocking his rotation....well let's go back to
connection sockets, the connector for the motor and the rest of the drive
hardware is quite different, in fact on the drive III we have a socket which
fits directly on the circuit board, and on the disk II we have a connector
which rises from the analog board and connects to the motors cables which is
identical to the one for the computer side.
I guess there would be no problem if I only had a black older disk II which
is the one you're referring to.


Quote:> >I am looking for an Apple III replacement drive or a step motor suitable
> >for
> >the broken one inside my system, can anyone help me?
> >Bye
> >Andrea

>    Find you an old working Disk II, which should be plentiful.  If you
take the
> face plate, door, and PCB off the Disk II, you can swap the mechanism with
the
> Disk III.  Basically the same drive with a different analog board and
> faceplate.  Apple only used 2 different drives, but they were identical as
far
> as working.  One made by Shugart had a smooth metal finish to the aluminum
> inside, the other was all roughed up.  Can't recall the manufacturer
anymore.
> Shugart has a brown traveller cam, the other had a quieter white cam.

> Raymond

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Quadraje » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:20:20


Quote:>Actually right now I have an old unidisk II, the one sold with the IIGS,
>and I am wondering if I can use it, I took a look and it seems pretty
different
>from the Apple III one, it has the same connection for the read/write head,
>the same connector to the computer, or at least it seems to me, since my
>Apple III is right now at a technician's for repair, it was him who told
>me the step motor was out of order, but I had previously noticed  a bad
>functioning of it by myself, since it wasn't spinnig the right way, just
>like if something was blocking his rotation....well let's go back to
>connection sockets, the connector for the motor and the rest of the drive
>hardware is quite different, in fact on the drive III we have a socket which
>fits directly on the circuit board, and on the disk II we have a connector
>which rises from the analog board and connects to the motors cables which
>is identical to the one for the computer side.
>I guess there would be no problem if I only had a black older disk II which
>is the one you're referring to.

   Right, the Disk II, not the Unidisk.  The Disk II was sold with the Apple
II, II+ and //e.  It had a metal case, and black face.  Even the first Apple
/// external drives had the metal case.  Sold one on ebay a few years back for
big bucks.

   And I doubt the stepper motor is bad, I would lean towards the circuit board
the stepper plugs into first, then the analog board.  And when you boot the
machine, the stepper is supposed to rotate backwards towards track 0, and bump
into the stopper for a second or so.  What is is doing exactly?

Raymond

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Andre » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:37:56


HI Raimond, I and the technician opened the step motor and  found out the
magnetic thing inside of it was damaged....some little chips were preventing
it from working properly.
Right now the motor seems to work, not perfectly though, but I can see the
head move now to track 0. so the problem may be fixed right now, but I still
can't load data from my disks....I found on the net some .DSK images of
Apple III software, if I get to put them on a 5.25 disk through my Apple II
and ADT are they supposed to work on my Apple III?
Well, at this point I don't know what to do.
Andrea


Quote:> >Actually right now I have an old unidisk II, the one sold with the IIGS,
> >and I am wondering if I can use it, I took a look and it seems pretty
> different
> >from the Apple III one, it has the same connection for the read/write
head,
> >the same connector to the computer, or at least it seems to me, since my
> >Apple III is right now at a technician's for repair, it was him who told
> >me the step motor was out of order, but I had previously noticed  a bad
> >functioning of it by myself, since it wasn't spinnig the right way, just
> >like if something was blocking his rotation....well let's go back to
> >connection sockets, the connector for the motor and the rest of the drive
> >hardware is quite different, in fact on the drive III we have a socket
which
> >fits directly on the circuit board, and on the disk II we have a
connector
> >which rises from the analog board and connects to the motors cables which
> >is identical to the one for the computer side.
> >I guess there would be no problem if I only had a black older disk II
which
> >is the one you're referring to.

>    Right, the Disk II, not the Unidisk.  The Disk II was sold with the
Apple
> II, II+ and file://e.  It had a metal case, and black face.  Even the
first Apple
> /// external drives had the metal case.  Sold one on ebay a few years back
for
> big bucks.

>    And I doubt the stepper motor is bad, I would lean towards the circuit
board
> the stepper plugs into first, then the analog board.  And when you boot
the
> machine, the stepper is supposed to rotate backwards towards track 0, and
bump
> into the stopper for a second or so.  What is is doing exactly?

> Raymond

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Michael J. Mah » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 05:57:37



>HI Raimond, I and the technician opened the step motor and  found out the
>magnetic thing inside of it was damaged....some little chips were preventing
>it from working properly.

There are no chips inside a stepper motor.

If you mean you opened the drive case, then, yes, there are a bunch of
chips, and one in particular is responsible for driving the stepper windings.
It's a ULN2003, and if it is not making good contact with its socket or if
a section (transistor) is burned out, the stepper will not operate properly.

Quote:>Right now the motor seems to work, not perfectly though, but I can see the
>head move now to track 0. so the problem may be fixed right now, but I still
>can't load data from my disks....I found on the net some .DSK images of
>Apple III software, if I get to put them on a 5.25 disk through my Apple II
>and ADT are they supposed to work on my Apple III?
>Well, at this point I don't know what to do.
>Andrea

If anyone has mechanically fiddled with the _stepper_ motor, the one
that moves the head, then it is porbably out of alignment, and will need
adjustment.  The easiest check for this being the only problem is that
an out-of-alignment drive will initialize, write, and read disks, but they
will not be interchangeable with any other drive (unless it just happens
to be similarly mis-aligned).



>> >Actually right now I have an old unidisk II, the one sold with the IIGS,
>> >and I am wondering if I can use it, I took a look and it seems pretty
>> different
>> >from the Apple III one, it has the same connection for the read/write
>head,
>> >the same connector to the computer, or at least it seems to me, since my
>> >Apple III is right now at a technician's for repair, it was him who told
>> >me the step motor was out of order, but I had previously noticed  a bad
>> >functioning of it by myself, since it wasn't spinnig the right way, just
>> >like if something was blocking his rotation....well let's go back to
>> >connection sockets, the connector for the motor and the rest of the drive
>> >hardware is quite different, in fact on the drive III we have a socket
>which
>> >fits directly on the circuit board, and on the disk II we have a
>connector
>> >which rises from the analog board and connects to the motors cables which
>> >is identical to the one for the computer side.
>> >I guess there would be no problem if I only had a black older disk II
>which
>> >is the one you're referring to.

>>    Right, the Disk II, not the Unidisk.  The Disk II was sold with the
>Apple
>> II, II+ and file://e.  It had a metal case, and black face.  Even the
>first Apple
>> /// external drives had the metal case.  Sold one on ebay a few years back
>for
>> big bucks.

>>    And I doubt the stepper motor is bad, I would lean towards the circuit
>board
>> the stepper plugs into first, then the analog board.  And when you boot
>the
>> machine, the stepper is supposed to rotate backwards towards track 0, and
>bump
>> into the stopper for a second or so.  What is is doing exactly?

It is forcing itself against the track 0 stop so that the head is known to be
in its "home" or track 0 position.  There is no position sensing on Apple
5.25" drives, so this "recalibration" seek is done whenever there is doubt
about the head's actual position--boot, I/O error,...).

I've never encountered a bad stepper motor.  Not that it couldn't happen,
just that it is very unlikely.  Almost certainly, it's the ULN2003
multi-transistor
array (in an IC package) that is faulty, assuming that the controller works
with
other drives and is therefore ruled out.  (BTW, another possibility is a bad
cable--not the most likely, but something easy to check.)

-michael


 Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by left_the_scen » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:58:23




>>HI Raimond, I and the technician opened the step motor and  found out the
>>magnetic thing inside of it was damaged....some little chips were preventing
>>it from working properly.

Um, I think he means chips, as in the little things that break off an
item that has been chipped. Not IC chips -- I think he is describing
chips of iron broken off the magnets inside the motor.
 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Michael J. Mah » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:14:29


left_the_scene replied:



>>>HI Raimond, I and the technician opened the step motor and  found out the
>>>magnetic thing inside of it was damaged....some little chips were
>preventing
>>>it from working properly.

>Um, I think he means chips, as in the little things that break off an
>item that has been chipped. Not IC chips -- I think he is describing
>chips of iron broken off the magnets inside the motor.

That would be pretty radical damage.  In that case, I would be inclined
to write this drive off as spare parts (of dubious quality), since a shock
sufficient to generate metal/ferrite chips would be sufficient to degrade
just about anything in the drive--including cracking the PC board.

-michael


 Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

 
 
 

Apple III replacement drive

Post by Blar » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:15:58


I've seen the magnetic material flake and chip off.  It can happen
over time and shouldn't be a problem.  These drives had
human-adjustable tolerances and were inherently over-engineered.

I'm not sure about the problems making images - I've heard mixed
answers regarding that.  However, the chips and flakes of magnetic
material shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

Unless the whole thing is one big chip!  Then I'd be worried.
Otherwise, it won't be a problem.

I'm concerned that other adjustments may have been made to the drive
other than the cleaning.  If that's the case, maybe some old disk
utilities may be able to help out.  I remember some on my //e I used
to run just to calibrate a misbehaving floppy drive.  The same should
be had on the ///.

Cheers,

Blarg!


>Um, I think she means chips, as in the little things that break off an
>item that has been chipped. Not IC chips -- I think he is describing
>chips of iron broken off the magnets inside the motor.

 
 
 

1. FS:Apple III, Apple III+ CPU units 25.00, 45.00

I have good working Apple III and III+ computers. Will sell for 25.00 &
45.00. Prefer to sell these units w/o monitors, and software. They can
use any Apple monitor with appropriate cables. I have diagnostic
software and litle else for sale. Best for someone already familiar
with this technology but tinkerers welcome. Shipping costs extra.

2. Apple //c+ questions

3. WTB: Replacement internal floppy drive for Apple IIc

4. Printing from Quadra 660AVs to LW Pro 810 or HPLaserJet 4M

5. Apple atapi cd-rom drive replacement

6. Peak vs. Average Modem Power Level?

7. Wanted: Apple hard drive replacement policy

8. I see NO problems with Lynksys + M1 Road Runner

9. Apple internal (Quantum) drive free replacement?

10. FA: Apple 5MB Profile Hard Drive for Lisa, Apple III

11. KEYBOARDS: replacement parts or replacement for //e, ][e ?

12. FS: Apple III with Titan III plus IIe, etc

13. FS: Apple III book (yup III not II)