Thanks and one more question...

Post by fisher2.. » Thu, 17 Sep 1992 00:21:03

Thanks to all of you who replied to an earlier request for help reguarding
BINSCII, I have now gotten into the files at caltech and other places.  After a
pitched battle between me on my apple, the VAX at the university, and I think a
SUN at caltech, I finally was able to convince everyone that it was OK to
transfer files error-free.  Thank you for your help.

One last question -- I have a //c, not a gs.  I am having some difficulty
figuring out what is gs only, and what will work on a //c.  Some are obvious.
(gsfinder_patch, hypercardstuff, etc) but some are not. (photonix) Is there
anyone that has a way to check a file BEFORE it is unBINSCII'd and unSHRunk
whether it will or won't work on my //c?  Transfers to the VAX are very easy
and short at a very high modem speed, but transfers to my //c at 2400bps takes
forever, and is quite disappointing spending 45 minutes getting a file and then
find out it is not even going to run.  ANY clues, help, or hints appreciated!

oh, if anyone is having problems transferring files from a SUN to a VAX, or
can't get kermit to work, send e-mail.  have made utilities to avoid problems
with ctrl-j/ctrl-m conversions and such.  (why in the ^%$#* won't my kermit
send a capitol "Y"???  who knows?  who cares?  change it to a "{" and take a
nap!)

later,
 Nathan

Post by Stephen L. Ho » Sat, 19 Sep 1992 05:40:00

> One last question -- I have a //c, not a gs.  I am having some difficulty
> figuring out what is gs only, and what will work on a //c.  Some are obvious.
> (gsfinder_patch, hypercardstuff, etc) but some are not. (photonix) Is there
> anyone that has a way to check a file BEFORE it is unBINSCII'd and unSHRunk
> whether it will or won't work on my //c?  Transfers to the VAX are very easy
> and short at a very high modem speed, but transfers to my //c at 2400bps take
> forever, and is quite disappointing spending 45 minutes getting a file and th
> find out it is not even going to run.  ANY clues, help, or hints appreciated!

        First off, if the file takes 45 minutes to download at 2400, then
chances are that it's NOT for the //c.  Really, the largest applications
that your going to find will be < 140K (or otherwise split into segments),
and you're not going to run into //c archives in the 800K range -- at
least, not very often.
        Probably your first indicator should be file size.  After that,
if you don't recognize the filename, there's not much to do but ask on
csa2 or a local system.  Unfortunately, most Apple software available thru
FTP doesn't include file description abstracts.  :(

| Stephen L. Hood                  Ask me about GNO/ME, the multitasking |
|  Micro Center, Inc.                    environment for the Apple IIGS! |

1. Thanks: but one more question

Hi!
        Thanks for all the people who wrote to help me with my problems.
It's been greatly appreciated!  :)  For those who are wondering. here's a
little update on my situation:  I went to a friend's house on Sunday,
connected my Hydunai modem to his PC compatible, and tried testing the
modem, with most of the same results that I had.  The modem was not
recognized by any of my friend's software, so we decided to go back to
the place where I had purchased my modem (my friend was driving, and he
was returning something to the same place) and I exchanged it for another
modem (a Pegasus 2400), and it's working beautifully, a wonderful change
from the other one.  That takes care of one problem!  :)

        I have also ordered the enhancement kit from a local dealer in
the Bay Area, and that should be arriving shortly.  Along with it, I
think eventually I will get the Proterm 3.1, but not at the moment.  That
would seem most of problems are taken care of.  :)

        Not quite!  :(  I downloaded unshk2plus.bsc as I still have my
unenhanced IIe at the moment, and tried using Binscii to get it to work.
All I got was: "Bad CRC:  This File has been corrupted" and it also
returned a Prodos Internal error code 43.  I'm not sure what's wrong, but
I did notice in Appleworks when I loaded the file to chec it out, that it
had a lot of # signs there like when I first downloaded Binscii.exe.  I
have already written Todd at caltech and Joe Kohn, but if anyone has any
ideas or suggestions, it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-Don

2. Harrumph! [Was: Re: An Explanation.....]

3. Dr J and Larry Bird Go one-on-one question

4. Microsoft Cursor Engine error '80040e21'

5. One of Many to be tricked...Thanks G4!!!!

6. Cannot resubmit failed file from suspend que

7. Thanks: but one more ques

8. Scalable Computing using the Bulk Synchronous Parallel Model

9. One world, One CPU, One OS

10. Thank you, Thank you!

11. A few more GS/Mac questions, thanks :)

12. THANKS! re: VOC questions

13. Thanks... & a new question