Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Stanley Schroed » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

     I have a Hayes modem that has a built in cable on it with a male "8
din" type connector, and I want to use the modem on an Apple ][e that has
a "9 pin" type of serial connector. (The modem was one of those little
cheapies that came with "Prodigy" software for the Mac Plus.)
     I have the parts to make an adaptor which goes from a male "9 pin"
to a female "8 din" so I can connect my modem to the "9 pin" serial on my
][e, but I need to fine out how the wires go !!!  Does anybody know where
I can get a wireing diagram to make such an adaptor ?
     And I was also wondering if the "9 pin" serial ports of the Apple
][e are the same as those that are on the Mac 512ke so I could
interchange such an adaptor.

     P.S. I read the posting about connecting a ][e to an AppleTalk
network; how can you tell the difference between a regular ][e and an
Enhanced ][e ?  Is it stated on the label or motherboard ?

Thanks in advance !
Stan Schroeder

Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Brandon Cor » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>      I have a Hayes modem that has a built in cable on it with a male "8
> din" type connector, and I want to use the modem on an Apple ][e that has
> a "9 pin" type of serial connector. (The modem was one of those little
> cheapies that came with "Prodigy" software for the Mac Plus.)
>      I have the parts to make an adaptor which goes from a male "9 pin"
> to a female "8 din" so I can connect my modem to the "9 pin" serial on my
> ][e, but I need to fine out how the wires go !!!  Does anybody know where
> I can get a wireing diagram to make such an adaptor ?
>      And I was also wondering if the "9 pin" serial ports of the Apple
> ][e are the same as those that are on the Mac 512ke so I could
> interchange such an adaptor.

  You should be able to get one at a store for an adatper like that..
Just buy a mac serial cable...  It should have an 8pin din on one side,
and they usually have a 25 pin RS232 on the other.. One it's the 25 pin,
you can just get a 25pin to 9 pin adapter, which you can get anywhere as
well....

Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Nathan Mat » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>     I have the parts to make an adaptor which goes from a male "9 pin"
>to a female "8 din" so I can connect my modem to the "9 pin" serial on my
>][e, but I need to fine out how the wires go !!!  Does anybody know where
>I can get a wireing diagram to make such an adaptor ?

   The pinouts for the mini Din-8 connector (and tons of other Apple
II connectors) are available at
http://www.visi.com/~nathan/a2/faq/pinouts.html

   Hmmm. I'm missing a full pinout for the 9 pin serial and 25 pin
serial. Time to do some hunting.

Quote:>     And I was also wondering if the "9 pin" serial ports of the Apple
>][e are the same as those that are on the Mac 512ke so I could
>interchange such an adaptor.

   9 pin serial is something of a standard. Note the Apple did put 9
pin connectors for various devices (Joystick, early mice) on various
Apple IIs and early macs; those are NOT standard serial ports, though.

Quote:>     P.S. I read the posting about connecting a ][e to an AppleTalk
>network; how can you tell the difference between a regular ][e and an
>Enhanced ][e ?  Is it stated on the label or motherboard ?

   This error message is contained in the comp.sys.apple2 Frequently
Asked Questions (FAQ) post, which was posted here on the first of the
month. Your local news server _should_ still have a copy, as the posting
was configured to expire in a month. If it is not available, please
contact your local news admin to help fix your feed. If you skipped
over unread articles such as the FAQ before posting (a very bad habit),
you can read it on the WWW at
http://www.visi.com/~nathan/a2/faq/csa2.html

   A more detailed list of differences between the regular and
enhanced //es is in the FAQ; for a quick check, the best way to check
is to turn on the computer and look at the top of the screen. If it
says "Apple ][", it's unenhanced. If it says "Apple //e", it's
enhanced.

   Please note that to get an Apple //e on Appletalk, you must also
add a 'Apple II Workstation card', which provides the interface to
talk to an Appletalk network; neither the regular or enhanced //e can
do this on their own.

Nathan Mates

--
<*> Nathan Mates http://www.visi.com/~nathan/      <*>
# What are the facts? Again and again and again-- what are the _facts_?

Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Ralph Wade Philli » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi, Stanley!

>      I have a Hayes modem that has a built in cable on it with a male "8
> din" type connector, and I want to use the modem on an Apple ][e that has
> a "9 pin" type of serial connector. (The modem was one of those little
> cheapies that came with "Prodigy" software for the Mac Plus.)

        Since the standard connector for Apple's (and most compatible!)
serial boards was a DB-25, you'll have to give us a little more than "9
pin".  That is, unless you're confusing the joystick port (down by the
video out port, and the two cassette ports!) for a serial port!  In which
case, the answer is "Takes a little more than a cable ... ".

Quote:>      I have the parts to make an adaptor which goes from a male "9 pin"
> to a female "8 din" so I can connect my modem to the "9 pin" serial on my
> ][e, but I need to fine out how the wires go !!!  Does anybody know where
> I can get a wireing diagram to make such an adaptor ?

        Again, it's a matter of where that 9pin is.  If it's on a
daughterboard, we'll have to know what the daughterboard is.  If it's on
the motherboard, it's NOT a serial port!  Look at that icon over it AGAIN
- looks like the Apple-logo'ed joystick!

Quote:>      And I was also wondering if the "9 pin" serial ports of the Apple
> ][e are the same as those that are on the Mac 512ke so I could
> interchange such an adaptor.

        Never saw such a 9pin port on a //e.

Quote:

>      P.S. I read the posting about connecting a ][e to an AppleTalk
> network; how can you tell the difference between a regular ][e and an
> Enhanced ][e ?  Is it stated on the label or motherboard ?

        Not always.  The EASIEST way is to boot the computer with no
diskette in the 5.25" floppy drive, and look at the "Apple //e" or "APPLE
][E" logo.  The FORMER is enhanced, the LATTER is original non-enhanced.

        Later //es also had the numeric keypad, and they were all shipped
from Apple as enhanced //es.

        RwP

--
Ralph Wade Phillips, CET #LA-82

Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Nathan Mat » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>      P.S. I read the posting about connecting a ][e to an AppleTalk
>> network; how can you tell the difference between a regular ][e and an
>> Enhanced ][e ?  Is it stated on the label or motherboard ?
>        Not always.  The EASIEST way is to boot the computer with no
>diskette in the 5.25" floppy drive, and look at the "Apple //e" or "APPLE
>][E" logo.  The FORMER is enhanced, the LATTER is original non-enhanced.

   Bzzzt. The correct text is:

Unenhanced:    Apple ][
Enhanced:      Apple //e

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates http://www.visi.com/~nathan/      <*>
# What are the facts? Again and again and again-- what are the _facts_?
# Shun wishful thinking, avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors
# think-- what are the facts, and to how many decimal places?  -R.A. Heinlein

Serial adaptor "8 din" to "9 pin"

Post by Ralph Wade Philli » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi, There!

(stuff deleted)

Quote:

>         Not always.  The EASIEST way is to boot the computer with no
> diskette in the 5.25" floppy drive, and look at the "Apple //e" or "APPLE
> ][E" logo.  The FORMER is enhanced, the LATTER is original non-enhanced.

        As Nathan Mates pointed out in E-Mail to me, the PROPER messages are:

APPLE ][
Apple //e

        Just for more accuracy ... <B-)

        RwP

--
Ralph Wade Phillips, CET #LA-82

1. Looking for "Serpentine", "Thief", "Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos"

Hi!

I am looking for .dsk or .do files with the games "Serpentine", "Thief",
"Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos". I was on the most excellent asimov site and they
seemed to be about the only games I could not find. "Serpentine" was a maze
where you chased snakes, "Thief" was a berzerk-type arcade game, and "Cyborg"
and "Oo-Topos" were text adventures by Mike Berlyn.

Thanks in advance!

2. PIPELINE INFO.

3. "IIe" and "STM" question

4. Passport Sign-In Name Change

5. Looking for a couple of ][ games: "Fix-It", "Alien Encounter"

6. Bootmanager with 2 disks

7. "ZipGS" or "TransWarp" card

8. time() & localtime() problem

9. Joystick buttons: normally "open" vs "closed"?

10. "640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985-1986)

11. "It's Dead, Jim" or "The Case of the Dead Newsgroup"

12. "Big" RamFAST vs. "Little" one...

13. Need "dsk2IIe.zip" or "sim2du10.zip"