How much memory does a Ramworks III hold?

How much memory does a Ramworks III hold?

Post by JGrav898 » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm waiting on my first Apple //e computer to get here from work. I saved it
from the school system's salvage pile :-) Anyway, while digging through the
miles of salvage computer junk, I got 2 Ramworks III cards. Both were
half-filled (16 of 32 slots) with memory chips. I took 'em off one and filled
the other one completely up. How much do I now have on the card?

Also, since I have access to a LOT of Apple //e stuff, should I pick up some
spare drives and power supplies if I can? Hey, us newbies gotta' start
somewhere ;-)
Thanks in advance-Jeremy

Jeremy Gravley- Canton, GA
Atari 2600, Camaros, & redheads :-)

*WANTED*  Stuff I don't have!!

Post by Supertim » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I'm waiting on my first Apple //e computer to get here from work.
>I got 2 Ramworks III cards. Both were
>half-filled (16 of 32 slots) with memory chips. I took 'em off one and filled
>the other one completely up. How much do I now have on the card?

1 megabyte.  That's pretty much the standard power user setup.

How much memory does a Ramworks III hold?

Post by Mitchell Spect » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm waiting on my first Apple //e computer to get here from work. I saved it
>from the school system's salvage pile :-) Anyway, while digging through the
>miles of salvage computer junk, I got 2 Ramworks III cards. Both were
>half-filled (16 of 32 slots) with memory chips. I took 'em off one and filled
>the other one completely up. How much do I now have on the card?

    It depends. The RamWorks III could use either 64Kx1 or 256Kx1 DRAMs,
so at minimum your fully populated card could be 256K, and at maximum it
would be 1024K (a full megabyte). Look at the part number on each chip,
if they all have "256" in the part code (i.e. 41256-15) then you have a
board with 1 MB of memory.

    In theory it can be expanded up to 3 MB, but the piggyback board you
require to accomplish this is extremely rare. I heard AE made so few,
they were manufactured by hand. There was also a 512K piggyback board,
as well as RGB adapters for the card, which are easier to find. In any
case 1 MB is more than ample for an Apple IIe (not too mention we're
talking about bank switchable memory here, the IIe does _not_ see it
all as one large linear addressable chunk).

Mitchell Spector

1. Doing some things with the Ramworks III

I have created a DOS 3.3 RAM DISK and I have been able to keep it when I
use ProDOS.  When you have it, instead of CTRL-APPLE-RESET, use PR#x.  Also
the IIgs can use 2 ram Disks with out any problem.  ALL Apple II computers
with 128k or more have a RAM DISK in Slot 3, DRive 2.  /RAM/  Then IIgs can
have one with /RAM/ and /RAM5/.

        Adam Ford
---

UUCP:     crash!pro-mansion!aford

2. SPAM Checker

3. help with netmeeting

4. FA: Ebay Ramworks III, //e memory

5. Static callback routines

6. FA: Last Apple III, III+ Memory Card

7. Hints for optimizing wanted

8. RamWorks III help needed

9. WTB/T: AE Digital Prism RGB Piggyback for RamWorks III

10. WTB 3 MB Ramworks III or Expansion Board

11. FA: Applied Engineering RAMWorks III with RGB Video Daughter Card *RARE*

12. FS RamWorks III with RGB adapter