Why does it take up to 30 seconds to "Catch up" on a Newsgroup?

Why does it take up to 30 seconds to "Catch up" on a Newsgroup?

Post by Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:41:18

how many posts are in the newsgroup?

Quote:> All it does is change the font from Bold to Normal, it shouldn't take too
> long. Is this normal or is something wrong with my program?

> Thanks!

Why does it take up to 30 seconds to "Catch up" on a Newsgroup?

Post by Dobe » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:50:59

I just tried on some different NG's:
Approx 11000 messages: 25 seconds
Approx 1200 messages: 37 seconds
Approx 5000 messages: 34 seconds
81 messages:                 18seconds
4 messages:                   12 seconds
1 message:                     2 seconds

So it seems rather strange and somewhat random.

> how many posts are in the newsgroup?

> > All it does is change the font from Bold to Normal, it shouldn't take
too
> > long. Is this normal or is something wrong with my program?

> > Thanks!

Why does it take up to 30 seconds to "Catch up" on a Newsgroup?

Post by Dobe » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:04:48

Oki, sigh...  ;-)

This is unfortunately a "feature" of OE.  One way to minimize this is to
make sure you compact your folders on a regular basis (File | Folder |
Compact all).  Also you can right click on the NG in the folder list and
then go to Properties | Local File and hit the delete or remove button
followed by the compact button.  Running a defrag periodically also helps,
as the dbx files get quite fragmented.  Basically the larger the folder, the
longer it takes.

Otherwise you just have to live with it.

steve