OT: Patchset website (was: Re: 1.3.1 patchset 8)

OT: Patchset website (was: Re: 1.3.1 patchset 8)

Post by Herve Quir » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:28:47

Hi,

As I am using my FreeBSD box to develop, I haven't even installed Mozilla
and I use elinks for almost any web surfing (Javadocs for the most part).
The same goes when I install my system, and here's the problem. The
licence agreement stuff on the patchset website won't let me download the
patch with links, and neither with elinks nor Opera. I mean it is quite
annoying to have to install the whole system (because mozilla represents a
huge load of packages to install regarding dependencies) before installing
the most important to my eyes: the JDK ;)

I know you all have better things to do with your time and I admit I
prefer to have you debugging/enhancing the JDK or spending time with your
friends or family than coding webpages. Anyway, if you plan to improve
your website in the near future, please think of all links users around
the world. They too deserve the right to use Java on FreeBSD ;)

Thanks for the new patch anyway. I will test it as soon as mozilla
finishes to build.

Regtards,

Herve

Post by Westbay Fami » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:29:58

> As I am using my FreeBSD box to develop, I haven't even installed
> Mozilla
> and I use elinks for almost any web surfing (Javadocs for the most
> part).
> The same goes when I install my system, and here's the problem. The
> licence agreement stuff on the patchset website won't let me download
> the
> patch with links, and neither with elinks nor Opera. I mean it is quite
> annoying to have to install the whole system (because mozilla
> represents a
> huge load of packages to install regarding dependencies) before
> installing
> the most important to my eyes: the JDK ;)

I understand very well.  I ssh into my FreeBSD server which isn't even
in the same country I am and have tried it with Lynx-ssl.  Can't be
done.

The work around I found was to use Mozilla locally until after the
licensing is confirmed.  Then copy the link to the actual zip/tar.gz
file(s) and paste  to the open remote ssh session prefixed by "fetch ".
  So it looks something like:

     $ fetch http://the.jdk.source.url;sessionid

Because the session ID is part of the GET, it works from the remote box
despite having a different URL.

It would be nice if Sun would make their site work with text-based
browsers.  I think I had the same problem with downloading the patch.
But it's been a while.

---
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
Home:           http://www1.seaple.icc.ne.jp/westbay
Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

1. OT: Patchset website

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:29:26 +0900
::> As I am using my FreeBSD box to develop, I haven't even installed
::> Mozilla
::> and I use elinks for almost any web surfing (Javadocs for the most
::> part).
::> The same goes when I install my system, and here's the problem. The
::> licence agreement stuff on the patchset website won't let me download
::> the
::> patch with links, and neither with elinks nor Opera. I mean it is quite
::> annoying to have to install the whole system (because mozilla
::> represents a
::> huge load of packages to install regarding dependencies) before
::> installing
::> the most important to my eyes: the JDK ;)
::
::I understand very well.  I ssh into my FreeBSD server which isn't even
::in the same country I am and have tried it with Lynx-ssl.  Can't be
::done.
<snip>
::It would be nice if Sun would make their site work with text-based
::browsers.  I think I had the same problem with downloading the patch.
::But it's been a while.

I usually use the text-based browser called 'w3m' from the ports,
works without any trouble at all.

Hope this helps,
  haro

2. new tool about X11

3. 1.3.1 patchset 4 (early adopters)

4. Please help: Can't run XF86Setup (missing $XF86Setup_startup ?)

5. 2.5.58-mjb1 (scalability / NUMA patchset)

6. ISO8601 C/C++ routines

7. patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

8. using local DNS and let others can connect

9. 1.3.1 patchset 3 (early adopters)

10. 1.4 patchset 1

11. 2.5.55-mjb1 (scalability / NUMA patchset)

12. FreeBSD OS version for HotSpot (was: 1.3.1 patchset 7 not quite

13. JDK 1.4.1 patchset 2