can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by User Ipt Ian Patrick Thom » Tue, 29 May 2001 03:05:48

        After having the following installed without any problems

javavmwrapper-1.1
jdk-1.1.8
jfc-1.1.1
linux_base-6.1
linux-jdk-1.2.2

        the port for jdk12-beta will still not build.  Here are the errors.

ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.

ERROR: Your ALT_BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
to a valid JDK for bootstrapping this build.
A JDK 1.2 or 1.2.x build must be bootstrapped against
a 1.2-V (or later) build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR
setting, or just unset it, and try again.

gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

        I have checked this variable in the Makefile.  It seems to be looking in the right place.

MAKE_ENV=       HAVE_DPS="no" \
                ALT_BOOTDIR="${JDK12DIR}" \

        Here is the variable it references.

JDK12DIR?=      ${LOCALBASE}/linux-jdk${JDK_VERSION}

        Here is the path of the linuxjdk it is looking for.

/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2

        So I delete ALT_BOOTDIR as it advises, and the build gets further, but ...

/usr/local/java/jdk1.2/x86/bin/javac: not found
gmake[3]: *** [.compile.classlist] Error 127
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/java/jvm'
gmake[2]: *** [optimized] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/java/jvm'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/java'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

        I'm stumped.  I'll keep fiddling but maybe someone else has ran into this.  I'm running 3.5
Stable.

Ian
--
Have blue screens given you the blues, go to www.freebsd.org for the cure.

can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by Greg Lew » Tue, 29 May 2001 08:11:39

Quote:>    After having the following installed without any problems

> javavmwrapper-1.1
> jdk-1.1.8
> jfc-1.1.1
> linux_base-6.1
> linux-jdk-1.2.2

>    the port for jdk12-beta will still not build.  Here are the errors.

> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.

Does the Linux JDK 1.2.2 that you installed without any problems actually
work?  The above lines appear to indicate that it does not and that the
binaries need branding.  Can you actually do a "java -version" with it?

Quote:> ERROR: Your ALT_BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
> to a valid JDK for bootstrapping this build.
> A JDK 1.2 or 1.2.x build must be bootstrapped against
> a 1.2-V (or later) build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR
> setting, or just unset it, and try again.

> gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
> *** Error code 2

> Stop.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop.

>    I have checked this variable in the Makefile.  It seems to be looking in the right place.

> MAKE_ENV=       HAVE_DPS="no" \
>                 ALT_BOOTDIR="${JDK12DIR}" \

>    Here is the variable it references.

> JDK12DIR?=      ${LOCALBASE}/linux-jdk${JDK_VERSION}

>    Here is the path of the linuxjdk it is looking for.

> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2

Does this JDK actually work for you?

Quote:>    So I delete ALT_BOOTDIR as it advises, and the build gets further, but ...

Note that this warning is part of the Sun sources.  In this case you must
get the Linux JDK you have working, and then the native port will be able
to build.  You cannot just delete ALT_BOOTDIR as then it will assume a
default place for the bootstrap compiler as below (a place which doesn't
exist!).

Quote:>    I'm stumped.  I'll keep fiddling but maybe someone else has ran into this.  I'm running 3.5
> Stable.

Brandelf the Linux JDK binaries and see how things go.

                                regards, Greg
--

Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494
Information Technology                Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by Koster, K.J » Tue, 29 May 2001 18:41:27

Dear Ian,

Quote:

>    the port for jdk12-beta will still not build.  Here are
> the errors.

> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.

Hmm. Is the linux emu actually running? Use linux_enable=YES in rc.conf and
use kdlstat to see if linux.so is loaded.

Quote:

> ERROR: Your ALT_BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
> to a valid JDK for bootstrapping this build.
> A JDK 1.2 or 1.2.x build must be bootstrapped against
> a 1.2-V (or later) build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR
> setting, or just unset it, and try again.

> gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
> *** Error code 2

> Stop.

Before trying to build and install the native JDK, verify that the linux jdk
works. Type "/usr/local/linux_jdk1.2.2/bin/java -version" and fix any error
messages you get.

    Kees Jan

can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by User Ipt Ian Patrick Thom » Tue, 29 May 2001 22:44:29

        O.K., I put the Makefile back to its original state and got the same
errors.  I went ahead and loaded the linux module and did java -version on
the linux 1.2.

java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2.2_RC4, green threads, sunwjit)

        It looks functional to me.  I'll try to compile some of my programs with
the linux javac and see what happens.  RMI should give me a noticable
difference, sans skeletons after rmic on serializables.  What binary's should
I run brandelf on?  All of the ones in /usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2/bin,
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2/bin/i386/green_threads, or
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2/bin/i386/native_threads?  Also is it brandelf -t
Linux [filename here]?  Thanks for the help so far.

Ian

As told by, Greg Lewis

> >       After having the following installed without any problems

> > javavmwrapper-1.1
> > jdk-1.1.8
> > jfc-1.1.1
> > linux_base-6.1
> > linux-jdk-1.2.2

> >       the port for jdk12-beta will still not build.  Here are the errors.

> > ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> > ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.

> Does the Linux JDK 1.2.2 that you installed without any problems actually
> work?  The above lines appear to indicate that it does not and that the
> binaries need branding.  Can you actually do a "java -version" with it?

> > ERROR: Your ALT_BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
> > to a valid JDK for bootstrapping this build.
> > A JDK 1.2 or 1.2.x build must be bootstrapped against
> > a 1.2-V (or later) build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR
> > setting, or just unset it, and try again.

> > gmake: *** [sanity] Error 1
> > *** Error code 2

> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1

> > Stop.

> >       I have checked this variable in the Makefile.  It seems to be looking in the right place.

> > MAKE_ENV=       HAVE_DPS="no" \
> >                 ALT_BOOTDIR="${JDK12DIR}" \

> >       Here is the variable it references.

> > JDK12DIR?=      ${LOCALBASE}/linux-jdk${JDK_VERSION}

> >       Here is the path of the linuxjdk it is looking for.

> > /usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2

> Does this JDK actually work for you?

> >       So I delete ALT_BOOTDIR as it advises, and the build gets further, but ...

> Note that this warning is part of the Sun sources.  In this case you must
> get the Linux JDK you have working, and then the native port will be able
> to build.  You cannot just delete ALT_BOOTDIR as then it will assume a
> default place for the bootstrap compiler as below (a place which doesn't
> exist!).

> >       I'm stumped.  I'll keep fiddling but maybe someone else has ran into this.  I'm running 3.5
> > Stable.

> Brandelf the Linux JDK binaries and see how things go.

>                            regards, Greg
> --

> Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494
> Information Technology                Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

--
Have blue screens given you the blues, go to www.freebsd.org for the cure.

can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by Koster, K.J » Tue, 29 May 2001 23:10:39

If the Linux JDK works you don't have to brandelf anything.

    Kees Jan

 You are only young once,
       but you can stay immature all your life.

can't install jdk1.2.2

Post by User Ipt Ian Patrick Thom » Wed, 30 May 2001 03:50:27

        O.K.  the linux jdk works.  I have linux emu loaded and running as stated by kldstat

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    3 0xc0100000 1872dc   kernel
 2    1 0xc0a5d000 f000     linux.ko
 3    1 0xc0a73000 2000     star_saver.ko

        I went ahead and tried to build again.  I think it almost completed this time.  Here is the
latest error.  The building went on for about 15-20 minutes with no problems before this
happened.

gmake[3]: *** [obj/i386/awt_AWTEvent.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/sun/awt'
gmake[2]: *** [optimized] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/sun/awt'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/java/jdk12-beta/work/build/freebsd/sun'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

        Should I upgrade my version of gmake or maybe use a flag when doing the make?  My current
version of gmake is GNU Make version 3.77.  It appears that this is the latest one in the ports
though.  As of yet I have used no flags or options during the build, just make.

Ian

As told by, Koster, K.J.

> If the Linux JDK works you don't have to brandelf anything.

>     Kees Jan

>  You are only young once,
>        but you can stay immature all your life.

Post by Koster, K.J » Wed, 30 May 2001 21:53:14

Dear Ian,

Quote:

>    I went ahead and tried to build again.  I think it
> almost completed this time.  Here is the
> latest error.  The building went on for about 15-20 minutes
> with no problems before this happened.

Good, so you're making progress. :-)

Quote:

> gmake[3]: *** [obj/i386/awt_AWTEvent.o] Error 1
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> ... snip ...
> Stop.

Ah, what would be interesting is the error message that occurs just before
this lot. You managed to cut of the interesting bits. :-) Try "man script"
to find a way to capture all build output to a file. You can mail me the

this list, that would be rude and people might pee in your cornflakes if you
do (new expression I learned, had to use it, sorry).

Anyway, since this is an AWT error message please make sure that you have
XFree86 and OpenMotif installed.

Quote:

>    Should I upgrade my version of gmake or maybe use a
> flag when doing the make?

Nope, this is not a gmake problem.

    Kees Jan

1. JDK1.2.2 vs JDK1.1.7 on COL 2.3 -- some comments

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite 2595CDS -400Mhz 64Mbyte,4 gig with Windows
98/Caldera Systems 2.3 and a 2.2.12 kernel. Installed on this I have "Sun's"
JDK1.2.2 port and Blackdown's JDK1.1.7 port. On the Windows side I also have
JDK 1.2.2 and the Beta JDK 1.3

I just upgraded from Caldera Systems 1.3 and a 2.0.35 kernel. On this I had
Blackdown's JDK1.1.7 port

I recently had a Samsun laptop 75Mhz ,24Mbte, 500Mbyte that had Windows 95 /
Caldera Systems 1.3

Upstairs I'm running an ACER 125Mhz, 16Mbyte that has Windows 95/Caldera
Systems 1.3 with the JDK1.1.7 port.

On each machine I have the same Java app that I developed starting with the
first Java release and upgraded it through subsequent releases until now
it's totally Swing.  On my Toshiba I can run the app with JDK1.17 and
JDK1.2.2 side by side.  On the Linux side the JDK1.2.2 takes 3 seconds to
draw a graph whereas JDK1.1.7 draws it in a flash.

Is there anyone else out there that is seeing this?
It's not Linux. It's not KDE.  It's Suns JDK1.2.2.  The question is why.  I
haven't touched it. It's configured as it was downloaded. The JDK1.2.2 on
the Windows side does just fine.  No it's not the 1.3 swap problem that's
been fixed.
The only abnormal thing about the execution is the system's inability to
resolve a lot of fonts when the app comes up, but I don't see how that would
cause the slowness in the graphing.
Going into Graphics2D doesn't help. I took it out to see if it sped up.
Any suggestions out there.  How about the font thing.  How do I resolve
that.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Problem installing RedHat4.1

3. jdk1.2.2-beta fonts don't load (X11 v4.1 problem)

4. Disk corruption in 5.0.5?

5. jdk1.2.2 port installing error

6. vim does not work any more

7. Can not install JDK1.2.2 from ports

8. How do I replace SCO-UNIX w/ LINUX?

9. installing jdk1.2.2 on RS/6000 gives errors

10. FreeBSD JDK1.2.2 Patchset 11???

11. Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

12. Problems building JDK1.2.2 on FreeBSD 4.0

13. Linux Kernel 2.2.16 breaks JDK1.2.2!