Which port behaves better?

Post by cost » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:17:11

Thanks.

What about the jikes alternative and the switches from the native
jdk13 (the NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP for example).

I`m looking for a more detailed answer.

Thanks again...

Quote:>>   Hello!

>>   I would like to know what port of the java
>>   (linux-sun/linux-ibm/jdk-13) behaves better. I`m reffering ofc,
>>   first to stability and then to performance.

>>   I know I might ask a very borring and general question but I didn`t
>>   found any relevant answers to it.

>>   I`m not interested in working in a GUI environment, the machine is
>>   running the lastest 4-STABLE (aka 4.7-p3) and will be running JBoss,
>>   tomcat or resin or something related.

AM> Native jdk1.3.1 (latest patch) with OpenJIT

>>   I would also like some advices about which java servers (in the
>>   ejbs/jsps/servlets arena) are working best and in which combination?

>>   Any light in the configurations switches in all ports will also be
>>   very helpful.

>>   Thanks a lot.

>> --
>> Toate Bune
>>  costin

AM> ==================================================================
AM> Achilleus Mantzios
AM> S/W Engineer
AM> IT dept
AM> Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
AM> Nikis 4, Glyfada
AM> Athens 16610
AM> Greece
AM> tel:    +30-10-8981112
AM> fax:    +30-10-8981877

Which port behaves better?

Post by GB Cla » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:49:53

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:15:36 +0200

> Thanks.

> What about the jikes alternative and the switches from the native
> jdk13 (the NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP for example).

> I`m looking for a more detailed answer.

Ok, here is how it works.

The Java ports require a java compiler to bootstrap.  On a fresh install you need to install a Linux JDK,
point your JAVA_HOME at that location and then you can compile/install a native JDK.  After the
installation of the native JDK, you can nuke the Linux JDK, set your JAVA_HOME to the native JDK and
set NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP and get all new native JDKs to compile using the native JDK to bootstrap.  Once
we have a modern binary release (I think the last was like 1.1.8 or there abouts) we won't need the
Linux JDKs at all.

Hopefully it helps and I've got it right..:)

GB

> Thanks again...

> >>   Hello!

> >>   I would like to know what port of the java
> >>   (linux-sun/linux-ibm/jdk-13) behaves better. I`m reffering ofc,
> >>   first to stability and then to performance.

> >>   I know I might ask a very borring and general question but I didn`t
> >>   found any relevant answers to it.

> >>   I`m not interested in working in a GUI environment, the machine is
> >>   running the lastest 4-STABLE (aka 4.7-p3) and will be running JBoss,
> >>   tomcat or resin or something related.

> AM> Native jdk1.3.1 (latest patch) with OpenJIT

> >>   I would also like some advices about which java servers (in the
> >>   ejbs/jsps/servlets arena) are working best and in which combination?

> >>   Any light in the configurations switches in all ports will also be
> >>   very helpful.

> >>   Thanks a lot.

> >> --
> >> Toate Bune
> >>  costin

> AM> ==================================================================
> AM> Achilleus Mantzios
> AM> S/W Engineer
> AM> IT dept
> AM> Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
> AM> Nikis 4, Glyfada
> AM> Athens 16610
> AM> Greece
> AM> tel:    +30-10-8981112
> AM> fax:    +30-10-8981877

> --

GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin

           CTHULU for President - Why choose the lesser of two evils?

1. Which port behaves better?

  Hello!

  I would like to know what port of the java
  (linux-sun/linux-ibm/jdk-13) behaves better. I`m reffering ofc,
  first to stability and then to performance.

  I know I might ask a very borring and general question but I didn`t
  found any relevant answers to it.

  I`m not interested in working in a GUI environment, the machine is
  running the lastest 4-STABLE (aka 4.7-p3) and will be running JBoss,
  tomcat or resin or something related.

  I would also like some advices about which java servers (in the
  ejbs/jsps/servlets arena) are working best and in which combination?

  Any light in the configurations switches in all ports will also be
  very helpful.

  Thanks a lot.

--
Toate Bune
 costin

2. NS 3.01 on Sol 2.6 won't kill --a fix

3. Informix Online: Shared Memory Problem (Linux)

4. Where is the HOWTO for setting up NFS?

5. Is Communicator 4.08 better behaved than 4.05?

6. mtdblock read only device broken?

7. DHCP server doesn't behave as should behave.

8. Red Hat Results - better and better

9. Is Windows NT a better VMS or a better Unix ?

10. better hw -> better sys

11. Is AMD better or Intel better for Linux?