Opera and Java

Post by Kees Jan Kost » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:06:01

Dear All,

I'm a little stuck. In an effort to rid myself of the Windows
installation on the dark end of my disks I signed up for the local
Internet banking site (Postbank's Girotel Online, for the Dutchies among
you) with the intention to move my banking operations to the same place
where I keep my books: in FreeBSD.

Pointing Opera to JDK 1.1.8 causes Opera do crash upon loading an
applet. Installing the native JDK 1.3.1 causes Opera to not start,
whining about the Java plugin. Using any of the Linux binaries for Java
leaves Opera with no Java plugin detected.

What a mess. Does anyone have a browser that works with Java and is
modern enough to understand the more Microsoft-oriented Girotel site?

 Yours,
   Kees Jan

Opera and Java

Post by Mattias Schlenk » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 05:27:38

> Dear All,

> I'm a little stuck. In an effort to rid myself of the Windows
> installation on the dark end of my disks I signed up for the local
> Internet banking site (Postbank's Girotel Online, for the Dutchies among
> you) with the intention to move my banking operations to the same place
> where I keep my books: in FreeBSD.
> Pointing Opera to JDK 1.1.8 causes Opera do crash upon loading an
> applet. Installing the native JDK 1.3.1 causes Opera to not start,
> whining about the Java plugin. Using any of the Linux binaries for Java
> leaves Opera with no Java plugin detected.

Which FreeBSD are you running? 4.x or 5.x?

Both Java and the browser have to be built with the same compiler. I guess
the Opera guys are using some sort oft GCC 3.x for their Unix build, so
using the JDK built with 2.95.4 will crash the browser. I would not try to
build JDK 1.3.1 on a 4.8-STABLE box with GCC 3.x (on 5.1 it works).

Quote:> What a mess. Does anyone have a browser that works with Java and is
> modern enough to understand the more Microsoft-oriented Girotel site?

I guess Mozilla will do so. Build Mozilla and build the native JDK, both
with the same compiler in the same nicht. Then it will work. Build mozilla
1.4 (WITHOUT_CHATZILLA, WITHOUT_MAILNEWS, WITHOUT_LDAP, WITHOUT_COMPOSER)
and it will run nicely even on a 350MHz box.

Bye
Matt

--
 Mattias Schlenker  / Tel 0851 9441369 oder 0160 7352988
 Freyunger Str. 42 / http://webweaver.de/ilw/

Opera and Java

Post by Greg Lew » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:30:32

> I'm a little stuck. In an effort to rid myself of the Windows
> installation on the dark end of my disks I signed up for the local
> Internet banking site (Postbank's Girotel Online, for the Dutchies among
> you) with the intention to move my banking operations to the same place
> where I keep my books: in FreeBSD.

> Pointing Opera to JDK 1.1.8 causes Opera do crash upon loading an
> applet. Installing the native JDK 1.3.1 causes Opera to not start,
> whining about the Java plugin. Using any of the Linux binaries for Java
> leaves Opera with no Java plugin detected.

> What a mess. Does anyone have a browser that works with Java and is
> modern enough to understand the more Microsoft-oriented Girotel site?

What kind of plugins does Opera understand?  (i.e. Netscape 4 or Mozilla?).

I find things work pretty well with Mozilla, FWIW.

--

Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. System disc trouble with MacOS X and Linux

3. Enabling Java Runtime for linux-opera-6.0

4. Virtual tables on Linux and SCO

5. Java Mozilla Opera

6. address in use for setserial command

7. Java on Opera in Linux

8. how do I tell if a CD drive is CDDA compatible?

9. Linux & Java & Opera vs. WinCE WebTV in Web Appliances by Q2.

10. opera and java

11. any working opera java configs?

12. finally go java to work on opera 6.0 tp2

13. Opera 6.11 and Java