ports/28473: New Port: BlueJ 1.1.4

Post by Jeremy Karls » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 16:18:08

Quote:> Just checked your port, and it needs an X session to install. Yuck.
> Can't you automate the installation? Perhaps by extracting the JAR
> yourself? I also noted that during installation a JAR file is copied
> to /usr/local/. That's not the place for temporary files.

Yeah, it sucks.  I considered not submitting it.  I have tried unjarring
it try it by hand, but there is nothing helpful in there - it is all one
class, and that class extracts all of the other files from
within.  (Basically, they don't want people unjarring and doing it
themselves.)  Without getting really fancy with a decompiler, the
installer has to be run - so the X session is required.  So, I sort of
modeled this one after the StarOffice5 one, which has been around for a
while and needs similar things to happen.  I figured they've gone through
the headaches already.

Also, it doesn't "copy" a file to /usr/local/.  It just links there, and
runs it from that location.  That was the only way that I could get a
default install path in the installer of "/usr/local/" to make the port
simpler for the user.  I also tried fidding with some other stuff here,
such as "cd"ing to /usr/local/ and running the installer, but that didn't
work.  The only way I could get it to have a default install location of
/usr/local/ was to put it there and run it.  So I link instead.  The port
does remove the link when finished.

All in all, I agree, it's not a very nice port.  I am not an expert at
this (as you've probably guessed :-) ), so if you have any other
suggestions for things to try, I'm open to them.  Otherwise, I'm fresh
out.  (Trust me, I've tried everything I thought of before I submitted
it.)  :-)

Anyway, it's up to you - if you don't want it, that's fine too...  I
didn't spend more than a couple hours twiddling with it, so I won't be
heartbroken if you pitch it.  Or you could submit it, and perhaps someone
else will contact me with a better way.  I'm just attempting to "do my
part," and all that stuff.  :-)

Later,

Jeremy

1. printer port not showing - adding new port

I have two problems, both related to printer ports.

#1. Just installed RH 6.1 on a clone box - install went fine EXCEPT it did
not see a known working onboard printer port. Works fine from DOS (RH is the
only OS on the box, had to boot from floppy to test). So, how do I get this
port to be recognized and/or force fed to RH? I am new to Linux, but this
isn't a production machine, yet. So I can dink with it and make it happen.

#2. Similar to above, except  we took delivery of a new DELL server with
RH6.1 preinstalled. Again, works like a champ. However, I added a second
printer port card, ISA set at IRQ 5, I/O at 278.  Kudzu did not see it.
Onboard printer port works fine and prints just great to a Lexmark laser
running the HP4 drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Yusuf

2. kernel panic -not syncing :fatal exception in interrupt(fc3)

3. ports/29239: New port: ngpt - Next generation pthread (many to one mapping)

4. Automatic date and time in Vi Editor

5. ports/28464: New port: www/orion-current

6. NCSA httpd for linux

7. ports/42449: New port: jakarta-log4j, a logging library for java

8. map a port number to a PID

9. Problem adding tty port using 128 Port Async Adapter with 16 port Async Node

10. port forward port 80 to port 8080

11. HELP Port Forwarding on Linux: Dest Port Known, Source Port High (1024-65535)

12. port port port ?

13. Where and how to install non-ported software (non-ported extensions to ports, actually)?