linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

Post by Tim E Schafe » Sat, 18 May 2002 08:01:12

In an earlier post I reported that linux-jdk14 dies from the following
code:

StringTokenizer st = new StringTokenizer(null, ",");

This is only true on FreeBSD 4.3 release

I thought I had seen this on 4.5 release but I tried the test again and
only run into
problems on 4.3 release

I used beanshell 1.2b5 to test the one-liner
On 4.5 I don't seem to get a problem at all
On 4.3 sometimes I get a VM crash, especially if I do it repeatedly
But regardless bsh won't exit properly with a ^D even if the VM doesn't
crash

So this shows that tomcat (which is where I originally ran into
linux-jdk1.4.0 crashes) isn't necessarily related to the problem

So my questions are:
Is the problem just less likely to occur on 4.5?
Does 4.3 have a known problem with linux compatibility that was fixed in
4.5 ?
Does the fact that I swear I saw this problem happen on 4.5 once before
just mean I'm going insane?

Programmer
800-562-9915 x190 or 916-376-6190

Associated Global Systems
3231 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691

1. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

Ok ... tried it again on 4.5 release

It will crash the VM
Just had to repeat it several times

I'm not going insane ... I did see the problem before on 4.5

Also I tried it with linux-jdk1.3.1 with hotspot turned on and it also
dies
On 4.5 and 4.3
This is for both the -server and -client options

So I went back to redhat 7.1 and tried the bsh test on jdk 1.4.0

I tried repeating the line over 200 times ... no crash
So if the problem happens on linux at all it's a lot less likely

So this really seems to point to a problem in the Linux compatibility
layer on FreeBSD.

Should I post this to another list?

Programmer
800-562-9915 x190 or 916-376-6190

Associated Global Systems
3231 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691

2. ctrl-alt-del when using X

3. Remote Update from 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE

4. SONY CDU-55E

5. newbie-question: upgrading 4.2-RELEASE to 4.3-RELEASE

6. 2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

7. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

8. Redhat manual

9. 4.5-RELEASE ldconfig did not load library paths

10. 4.3-RELEASE or not?

11. PS/2 mouse not working FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE

12. linux-ibm-jdk14 & 5-RELEASE