Swing 1.1 differences between jdk-1.1 and jdk-1.2

Swing 1.1 differences between jdk-1.1 and jdk-1.2

Post by Jonathan Ch » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 08:36:20

So,

I finally managed to get jdk12-beta installed on my system (don't you
just love the ports system!); and I ran a couple of Swing programs,
including the SwingSet demo, to compare the differences.

The most obvious difference is the font display (spacing, especially),
which is quite significant. This is most obvious with the SwingSet demo,
on the "Plain Text" panel. Does anyone on the list have any config-tweaks
they can suggest so that Swing looks better under FreeBSD jdk-1.2?

Cheers.

Swing 1.1 differences between jdk-1.1 and jdk-1.2

Post by Koster, K.J » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:28:51

Dear Jonathan,

Quote:

> I finally managed to get jdk12-beta installed on my system (don't you
> just love the ports system!); and I ran a couple of Swing programs,
> including the SwingSet demo, to compare the differences.

Ah, well. The current beta is stable for server-side development and use.
Swing and AWT are problematic and in some cases downright broken. Try the
SwingSet and SwingSet2 demos. In particular, observer pop-up dialog box
behaviour.

Have a look at my website and a problem description:
  http://kjkoster.org/java/index.jsp?page=content/demo.jsp

    Kees Jan