tomcat - java.awt - headless

Post by Fredrick Nilss » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:42:54

hi,

im trying to use java.awt and javax.swing classes in tomcat that runs on a
"X-less" server. I think that i have tried all possible ways to accomplish
this, but none works.

this is what i have tested.

enviroment variables:

both JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS set to -Djava.awt.headless=true (tested
both individually and together)

code:

System.setProperty("java.awt.headless", "true");

none of these methods works 100%, during my tests, it works from time to
time, but i cant recreate so that it will work allways. is there anybody
else that have had the same problems, and if then, what was the solution?

.f

tomcat - java.awt - headless

Post by Fredrick Nilss » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:15:22

yes, it's jdk 1.4.x im using. unfortunately i cannot relay to that an xvfb
is installed on the server, since it's up to the hosting company. so i would
prefer if i could solve this problem in some other manner.

> im trying to use java.awt and javax.swing classes in tomcat that runs on a
> "X-less" server. I think that i have tried all possible ways to accomplish
> this, but none works.

Is this jdk 1.4.x that you use???

For jdk 1.3.x (that definetaly needs X) a good solution is X Virtual Frame
Buffer (xvfb).

You run it like :

% Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x24 &

and then in your tomcat/jboss/jetty (your favorite app server) start up
script you add
export DISPLAY=unix:1.0

(i use server side awt, with no problem, xvfb actually gets graphics drawn
faster than X running on a  real graphics card)

> this is what i have tested.

> enviroment variables:

> both JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS set to -Djava.awt.headless=true (tested
> both individually and together)

> code:

> System.setProperty("java.awt.headless", "true");

> none of these methods works 100%, during my tests, it works from time to
> time, but i cant recreate so that it will work allways. is there anybody
> else that have had the same problems, and if then, what was the solution?

> .f

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept