Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:56:33

[Please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subbed to this list.
  Thank you.]

Hello,

My ISP is going to be upgrading our server within the next few weeks and
we also wanted to upgrade Tomcat to version 4.1.18.  There is one small
problem with this, however.  There is currently no port of jk or jk2
that will allow us to let Tomcat 4 and Apache play together.  mod_webapp
is not really an option because that is only for Apache 2 and (according
to the Tomcat docs) is a poor substitute for jk.  I know there is a lot
of interest in something like this as I've found numerous other
instances of people asking my same question, but there seems to be no
answer currently.  In light of this, I was wondering if there were plans
to make a port of jk or jk2 for Tomcat 4 so that we may take advantage
of the newer features and better perfomance of Tomcat 4.  Or, if no
plans are in the works, does anyone have a working set up where Apache
1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.18 are working together as they should?  If so,
I'd be very interested in hearing about how this was accomplished.

Thank you,
Scott

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Shaffer, Gary R » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 06:03:20

How about running Apache and Tomcat as seperate instances, then use Apache's
mod_proxy to proxy through requests to Tomcat.

Regards,
GRS
---

Center for Advanced Information Technology, SAIC       (v) 858-826-5746
4161 Campus Point Court, M/S E-2, San Diego California 92121
http://cait.saic.com

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 06:29:14

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:56:11 -0800

>>[Please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subbed to this list.
>>  Thank you.]

>>Hello,

>>My ISP is going to be upgrading our server within the next few weeks and
>>we also wanted to upgrade Tomcat to version 4.1.18.  There is one small
>>problem with this, however.  There is currently no port of jk or jk2
>>that will allow us to let Tomcat 4 and Apache play together.  mod_webapp
>>is not really an option because that is only for Apache 2 and (according
>>to the Tomcat docs) is a poor substitute for jk.  I know there is a lot
>>of interest in something like this as I've found numerous other
>>instances of people asking my same question, but there seems to be no
>>answer currently.  In light of this, I was wondering if there were plans
>>to make a port of jk or jk2 for Tomcat 4 so that we may take advantage
>>of the newer features and better perfomance of Tomcat 4.  Or, if no
>>plans are in the works, does anyone have a working set up where Apache
>>1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.18 are working together as they should?  If so,
>>I'd be very interested in hearing about how this was accomplished.

> I've got those two working fine (as far as I can tell).
> I will admit that it took me 2 or 3 days to figure it due to the
> funky build system that tomcat uses.  But what it came down to is a
> works config file in the apache conf dir and a mod_jk2.so file in the
> apache libexec directory.

How did you actually get the module?  That's my stumbling block right
there.  The documentation on how to actually get the mod_jk2.so file to
put into /usr/local/libexec/apache is extremely poor and very
non-specific.  I tried downloading the connectors source from the
jakarta site and then building them, but even though the build was
supposedly successful, no modules were produced.  Of course, it is
entirely possible that I did something wrong, but there are no docs to
tell me what that might have been and this lack of information is my
main frustration.

Quote:> Now mind you, I've only played with it, not used it in production as
> I felt I should just stick with C++ server side as I know that alot
> better than Java.

> There is NO jni in this system BTW.

> GB

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Tim E Schafe » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 06:32:51

According to:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/index.html

mod_jk should work with tomcat 4.1.x

Is the issue that the existing port for jk needs to be updated?

This page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

talks about how to setup apache 1.3.x with tomcat 4.1.x (among other
combos)

It's something I would like to do myself but haven't been able to.

I'd be willing to help update the mod_jk port but I am only vaguely
familiar with make ( I do use ant though, so am familiar with building )

I'm currently using:
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.26+2.8.9
linux-jdk-1.3.1.01_1
jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3

but tomcat runs standalone
I'd like to integrate them and upgrade to tomcat 4.1.18

One question I have is does using mod_jk require the use of a native JVM
as opposed to one of the Linux ones?

Regards,
Tim Schafer
Programmer

Freight Solution Providers
dba Associated Global Systems            916-376-6190
3231 Evergreen Ave                  fax  916-376-6156

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 06:59:36

> According to:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/index.html

> mod_jk should work with tomcat 4.1.x

Right.  That is correct.  Though the docs do say jk2 would be preferable
for Tomcat 4 as it has been re-tooled and is supposedly hotter stuff.

Quote:> Is the issue that the existing port for jk needs to be updated?

Yes.  The port specifically states that it is *only* for Tomcat 3 (at
least that's what the cvs log says on Fresh Ports) and uses the Tomcat 3
sources to build the module.

Quote:> This page:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

> talks about how to setup apache 1.3.x with tomcat 4.1.x (among other
> combos)

Right.  I've been through this, and all the config stuff makes sense,
but there is no FreeBSD binary available and I'm not sure which other
one would be usable.  It also doesn't really tell someone like me who's
not very well versed in Ant or Make how to build the modules needed.

Quote:> One question I have is does using mod_jk require the use of a native JVM
> as opposed to one of the Linux ones?

It apparently requires the use of the native jdk 1.2 to build the
module.  The dance I had to go through to get Tomcat 3, mod_jk and
Apache built from ports and happy was to do 'portinstall mod_jk' and
that, in turn, pulled in all the native java stuff, installed tomcat 3
and apache.  Then, since I didn't want to be stuck using a 1.2 jdk (our
site needs a 1.4 jdk), I deinstalled tomcat, fiddled the makefile to say
USE_JAVA 1.4+.  I initially tried building mod_jk with the other
linux-sun-jdk's but it failed horribly so I had to kind of finagle (sp?)
it into working the way I wanted.  So far, though, mod_jk works fine
with linux-sun-jdk14 and Tomcat 3.  It's just the compilation that
apparently requires the native one.  However, I would really like to get
it all working with Tomcat 4.

-Scott

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 07:12:20

> This page:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk/aphowto.html

> talks about how to setup apache 1.3.x with tomcat 4.1.x (among other
> combos)

I just wanted to correct myself here.  There *is* a FreeBSD binary but
it doesn't work with Apache.  I tried it and it didn't work at all.

This is what happens if the binary connector downloaded from the Jakarta
site is used:

Syntax error on line 237 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_jk.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_jk.so: Undefined symbol "ap_hook_post_config"
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I have no idea what that means.

-Scott

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Georg-W. Kolterman » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 07:45:26

I did this a while ago and as far as I remember it went rather
smoothly.  I downloaded the source of jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.18,
changed directory into the jk subdirectory and followed the README.  The
build went fine.  I just built the native part of the connectors, since
the Java part is included in Tomcat anyway.

I may have had to copy the *.so to the apache libexec directory
manually, I don't recall exactly any more, but otherwise I can't
remember any problems.

I currently run the jk connector with Apache2 just because I already had
a working config for that from earlier attempts with Tomcat
4.0.2/Apache1.3.  This reminds me that I wanted to read up on
configuring jk2 and try that as well :-)

--
Regards,
Georg.

Am Do, 2003-02-27 um 21.56 schrieb Scott Reese:

> [Please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subbed to this list.
>   Thank you.]

> Hello,

> My ISP is going to be upgrading our server within the next few weeks and
> we also wanted to upgrade Tomcat to version 4.1.18.  There is one small
> problem with this, however.  There is currently no port of jk or jk2
> that will allow us to let Tomcat 4 and Apache play together.  mod_webapp
> is not really an option because that is only for Apache 2 and (according
> to the Tomcat docs) is a poor substitute for jk.  I know there is a lot
> of interest in something like this as I've found numerous other
> instances of people asking my same question, but there seems to be no
> answer currently.  In light of this, I was wondering if there were plans
> to make a port of jk or jk2 for Tomcat 4 so that we may take advantage
> of the newer features and better perfomance of Tomcat 4.  Or, if no
> plans are in the works, does anyone have a working set up where Apache
> 1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.18 are working together as they should?  If so,
> I'd be very interested in hearing about how this was accomplished.

> Thank you,
> Scott

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:45:59

So, are you saying that mod_jk from ports works for Tomcat 4.1.18 even
though it's only intended for 3?  The ports collection does have a
Tomcat 4.1.18 port (www/jakarta-tomcat41) and I definitely agree that a
mod_jk2 port needs to happen.  If I knew anything about making ports, I
might be inclined to give it a shot myself, but I haven't the slightest
idea how to go about making that happen.

-Scott

--
Scott Reese           phone: (510) 845-1609
Cody's Books          fax:   (510) 845-0484

Technical Support     http://www.codysbooks.com

PGP Key Fingerprint:
EB86 9EFD 52B2 371D BA73  8EEB 9A00 AF5C C420 400F

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Scott Ree » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:23:57

I've been trying to compile the connector for literally *days* now and
I'm getting really, really, really, REALLY frustrated.  I've even torn
out all my java stuff (several times) and reinstalled the defaults
(according to ports) just to try to get this to work right.  I will be
the first to admit that I am no expert on how builds should work as I'm
not accustomed to using make or ant or any of those things on my own.  I
usually install the software I need from ports and leave it at that.  My
latest attempts to compile the module (following the directions in the
README.txt which are pretty vague at best) fail with compiler errors.  I
currently have jdk1.2.2 installed as that is what the ports initially
ask for when installing Tomcat 3 & 4 and Ant.  I have also tried with
the linux-jdk's, but those just freeze up and eventually give a vm error.

I see that several folks have successfully built the module for
themselves and so I would like to know HOW this was accomplished.  The
included README.txt and BUILDING files don't tell me enough to make it
clear to me what needs to be done.  Neither do the Tomcat docs.  For
someone like me who just wants to be able to install the software and
have it work, this is an *incredibly* frustrating exercise.  However, I
do thank you all for your responses so far.  I do appreciate the
pointers and suggestions.

Thank you,
Scott

> I did this a while ago and as far as I remember it went rather
> smoothly.  I downloaded the source of jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.18,
> changed directory into the jk subdirectory and followed the README.  The
> build went fine.  I just built the native part of the connectors, since
> the Java part is included in Tomcat anyway.

> I may have had to copy the *.so to the apache libexec directory
> manually, I don't recall exactly any more, but otherwise I can't
> remember any problems.

> I currently run the jk connector with Apache2 just because I already had
> a working config for that from earlier attempts with Tomcat
> 4.0.2/Apache1.3.  This reminds me that I wanted to read up on
> configuring jk2 and try that as well :-)

> --
> Regards,
> Georg.

> Am Do, 2003-02-27 um 21.56 schrieb Scott Reese:

>>[Please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subbed to this list.
>>  Thank you.]

>>Hello,

>>My ISP is going to be upgrading our server within the next few weeks and
>>we also wanted to upgrade Tomcat to version 4.1.18.  There is one small
>>problem with this, however.  There is currently no port of jk or jk2
>>that will allow us to let Tomcat 4 and Apache play together.  mod_webapp
>>is not really an option because that is only for Apache 2 and (according
>>to the Tomcat docs) is a poor substitute for jk.  I know there is a lot
>>of interest in something like this as I've found numerous other
>>instances of people asking my same question, but there seems to be no
>>answer currently.  In light of this, I was wondering if there were plans
>>to make a port of jk or jk2 for Tomcat 4 so that we may take advantage
>>of the newer features and better perfomance of Tomcat 4.  Or, if no
>>plans are in the works, does anyone have a working set up where Apache
>>1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.18 are working together as they should?  If so,
>>I'd be very interested in hearing about how this was accomplished.

>>Thank you,
>>Scott

>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-java" in the body of the message

--
Scott Reese           phone: (510) 845-1609
Cody's Books          fax:   (510) 845-0484

Technical Support     http://www.codysbooks.com

PGP Key Fingerprint:
EB86 9EFD 52B2 371D BA73  8EEB 9A00 AF5C C420 400F

Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

Post by Scott Ree » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:20:57

I am aware that mod_jk itself is supposed to work for both Tomcat 3 and
4.  However, the point I was trying to make is that the PORT (located in
/usr/ports/www/mod_jk) ONLY works for Tomcat 3 which is why I'm having
to go through all this to get a working module for Tomcat 4.

> Yes.  mod_jk supports two protocols.. ajp2 and ajp3 (or something like
> that).  Both protocols are used by Tomcat 4.x..  ajp3 is recommended as
> the connector and ajp2 is used to shutdown the server according to the
> docs.

> mod_jk was designed for apache 1.3.x and mod_jk2 was designed for apache
> 2.0.x.

>> So, are you saying that mod_jk from ports works for Tomcat 4.1.18 even
>> though it's only intended for 3?

> Lucas Holt

1. [Fwd: Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?]

--------------080406050703070108040005

I'm forwarding this note along because this is the solution that I ended
up going with.  It worked very well and I now have a working setup.
Thank you all for your help!

-Scott

2. sed replacement syntax

3. Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.18 + FreeBSD + linux-sun-jdk14 won't start ...

4. Can't access Samba shares on Win98 and on WinNT!

5. mod_jk for tomcat 4.1.18 and Aix5.1

6. CD recorder for Sparc 20 and Ultra 10

7. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

8. Yamaha disklavier

9. jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

10. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

11. Apache 1.3.27 Binary files

12. using .htaccess files in apache 1.3.27 virtual dirs

13. apache 1.3.27 make errors