Mozilla won't run signed java applet, with unknown certificate

Mozilla won't run signed java applet, with unknown certificate

Post by Georg-W. Kolterman » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:36:08

Hi,

when I try to run the signed java applet example from SUN at
http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/signedPluginEx.html ,
Mozilla (1.2b) loads the applet, then pops up an exception window
(transscribed manually, cut&paste did not work):

java.security.cert.CertificateException: Unable to verify the
certificate with root CA
at
sun.plugin.security.TrustDecider.isAllPermissionGranted(TrustDecider.java:150)
at
sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.getPermissions(PluginClassLoader.java:124)

The same page works in Linux, also with Mozilla (1.2.1) on my
colleague's machine, it pops up a dialog to grant write permission to
the signed applet.

I've compared the Java version (1.3.1) and any security related files in
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security, they are all the same.  The difference is
that my colleague uses Linux with the Linux browser and JDK, and I use
FreeBSD with the FreeBSD browser and FreeBSD native jdk (1.3.1p7).

I have also tried to explicitly import SUN's certificate from
http://java.sun.com/security/signExample12/Duke.x509 using keytool.
With the certificate imported, the applet DOES WORK.  It is just the
default behaviour that is different, with unknown certificates.  The
Linux version pops up the dialog asking the user, the FreeBSD version
throws the exception and fails.

Is there a way to configure this? Is it a difference in the Java ports?
In the Mozilla ports?

--
Regards,
Georg.

1. problem running Java Applets on linux - threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread ????

I have a problem running Java Applets.
I'm running a SuSE7.2 based machine.

When accessing a page that has a simple "Hello World!" Java Applet
on it, the Konqueror window stays "Loading Applet".
When accessing the same page from another machne, it runs fine.

So... conclusion: the Applet is fine?

So now what is wrong?
I already checked some things.

In the browser, Settings->KonquerorBrowser->Java
I Do have: "Enable Java Globally" enabled,
I have Path to java executable to 'java'
And have not specified any Domain specific stuff

The 'java' points to:

/usr/lib/java/bin/java

This is a version 1.1.8:

java version "1.1.8"

So, IMHO, it seems that I DO have a working java. Don't I?

I also tried a different java, under: :/usr/lib/jdk1.3/jre/bin/java

java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0, mixed mode)

But with similar results.

I tried starting Konqueror from the commandline, to see if it
complains.... Well it does, a little.

http://jvdploe.speed.planet.nl/~jvdploe/webcam/johncamjava.cgi
kdecore (KProtocolManager): ERROR: Protocol  not found
Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
kjas: ERROR: could not parse length out of:
kjas: ERROR: could not parse length out of:

BUT, I can not really understand what would be wrong.
It seems that the 'threads' error might be the clue....

Anyone who has a suggestion here?

Btw, I also tried Netscape's Java, but with similar restults.

    - John

--
John van der Ploeg
http://jvdploe.speed.planet.nl/~jvdploe   (direct)

2. Cannot get Xserver to boot

3. Java signed applet question

4. USENIX roomshare (see comp.org.usenix.roomshare)

5. Can't run Java applets - Linux

6. PS partially broken under 1.3.37 ?

7. Can't run Java Applets in NS3.0b4

8. E-IDE HD for Plato (AX1) Motherboard - help?

9. Can't run JAVA applets

10. Netscape Wrapper .. java applets don't run

11. pb with self-signed certificate and certificate installation within IE browser

12. mozilla and java applets

13. Zombie processes with mozilla loading java applets 2.5.60-2.5.64