jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

Post by Radhika » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:20:14

Hi,

I recently installed jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18.tar.gz from
/usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18. The install was fine.

I have set all my environmental variabels such as
CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME (i have installed jdk1.1.3).
The problem is that everytime time i start the server with

bin/startup.sh, I notice the cpu and memory for the java
process start rising up and in about 2 minutes, the process
aborts adn i have a core file, java.core in my
$CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.

What am i doing wrong. I do not have another server running
on port 8080.

I am running freebsd 5.0. Any help will be appreciated.
Also could you cc me to this email address.

Thanks,
radhika

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall

jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

Post by Westbay Fami » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:33:06

Quote:> bin/startup.sh, I notice the cpu and memory for the java
> process start rising up and in about 2 minutes, the process
> aborts adn i have a core file, java.core in my
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.

> What am i doing wrong. I do not have another server running
> on port 8080.

These are the two things that I find are the cause of core dumps:

   1.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/logs for a hint.  File access problems
       are a common failure point.

   2.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml to see if you have the
       https connector enabled without having SSL properly setup.

For #1, the port will install everything with the www:www user/group.
That means that if you're trying to start as your logged in user, you
generally won't have write permission in the logs (or any other)
directory.  That will cause Tomcat to crash.

If this is the case,

     chmod -R g+w $CATALINA_HOME

and be sure that your user is a member of the www group.

For #2, follow the SSL enabling instructions explained in the
tomcat-documentation (or something similar) context.  If it's on your
local computer, you can browse the documentation directly.  If it's on
a remote machine, lynx or w3m (both in ports) will allow you to view
the documentation without having to startup Tomcat.

Hope this helps.

---
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
Home:           http://www1.seaple.icc.ne.jp/westbay
Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

Post by Radhika » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:50:22

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your mail.
To reference your points :

1. checked the log files, and jvm was core dumping almost
immediately.
2. put myself in group: www and gave group write
permissions.
3. I didnt see anything about ssl.

I build jdk1.1.3 using the port /usr/ports/java/jdk13 and
what this does is install 2 directories in /usr/local
drwxr-xr-x   9 root  wheel   512 Feb 11 21:37 jdk1.3.1
drwxr-xr-x   9 root  wheel   512 Feb 11 12:25
linux-sun-jdk1.3.1

my JAVA_HOME env variable had been pointing to
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1, I changed it to use the linux binary,
which was /usr/local/linux-sun...

and it worked. So it didnt like something about the freebsd
native binary. I do not kow if others have come across this
problem. My freebsd version is:
java version "1.3.1-p7"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.3.1-p7-jklowden-030211-12:38)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1-p7-jklowden-030211-12:38, green
threads, nojit)

The linux binary says:Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment,
Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_06-b01)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1_06-b01, green threads, nojit)

Maybe this can help someone who has a similar problem.

Thanks,
Radhika

> > bin/startup.sh, I notice the cpu and memory for the
> java
> > process start rising up and in about 2 minutes, the
> process
> > aborts adn i have a core file, java.core in my
> > $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.

> > What am i doing wrong. I do not have another server
> running
> > on port 8080.

> These are the two things that I find are the cause of
> core dumps:

>    1.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/logs for a hint.  File access
> problems
>        are a common failure point.

>    2.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml to see if you
> have the
>        https connector enabled without having SSL
> properly setup.

> For #1, the port will install everything with the www:www
> user/group.
> That means that if you're trying to start as your logged
> in user, you
> generally won't have write permission in the logs (or any
> other)
> directory.  That will cause Tomcat to crash.

> If this is the case,

>      chmod -R g+w $CATALINA_HOME

> and be sure that your user is a member of the www group.

> For #2, follow the SSL enabling instructions explained in
> the
> tomcat-documentation (or something similar) context.  If
> it's on your
> local computer, you can browse the documentation
> directly.  If it's on
> a remote machine, lynx or w3m (both in ports) will allow
> you to view
> the documentation without having to startup Tomcat.

> Hope this helps.

> ---
> Michael Westbay
> Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
> Home:           http://www1.seaple.icc.ne.jp/westbay
> Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/forum/

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall

1. Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.18 + FreeBSD + linux-sun-jdk14 won't start ...

When I try to start, using linux-sun-jdk14:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1
Using CLASSPATH:       /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.1/lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/bin/bootstrap.jar

it fails, missing a Class:

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:992)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:857)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:176)

If I switch to using the native JDK:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/jdk1.3.1
Using CLASSPATH:       /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/bin/bootstrap.jar

it all starts beautifully:

[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8042
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8042
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8043
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=17/118  config=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.1/conf/jk2.properties

I've tried using the linux-sun-jdk13, and get the same results as the
jdk14 one ... is there a something that I need to add to my CLASSPATH that
the linux version doesn't have?

Thanks ...

2. NFS

3. mod_jk for tomcat 4.1.18 and Aix5.1

4. problem when compiling kernel 0.97

5. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

6. How do you switch GUIs / YDL 2.0

7. [Fwd: Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?]

8. Using Postfix on a normal machine

9. Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

10. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

11. ANN: Jakarta Tomcat 4 now in www/jakarta-tomcat

12. Jakarta-Tomcat in FreeBSD 4.2

13. Logs in Jakarta-Tomcat ??