Recommended servlet starter tools?

Post by j mckitri » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:02:56

| > I just asked about web services, and I'm now trying to decide which jdk
| > to use.  Do I want the one from IBM, or the latest Linux jdk from Sun?
|
| /usr/ports/java/jdk13 I would recommend. Its the native one.

Is this the one that installs the Linux jdk, then bootstraps a native
version?  That's an insane amount of wear and tear.

| Then, have a look at the Tomcat ports for servlet/JSP functionality... a little learning curve (I think v4 is much easier to configure and integrate). If you get stuck I'm happy to give you some pointers.

Ah, excellent!  That's exactly what I'm shooting for: a basic Tomcat
setup to fool around with Web Services.  I don't know much about running
a web server, but from what I gather it shouldn't be to hard to get it
going.  I'll let you know how it goes.

jm
--
There are only 10 types of people in this world:

Recommended servlet starter tools?

Post by Joe Shevla » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:48:26

Yep, it needs the Linux JDK first... a necessary evil at this stage. Once built, you can remove it though.

Tomcat is a good place to start for what you're after, it has its own internal web server for use that you don't need to configure much for.

Recommended servlet starter tools?

Post by j mckitri » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:19:47

Hey Joe,

I have everything installed, including OpenJIT.

Question: my poor little P2-266 is pegged to the limit when I run
tomcat and try to access the home page.  Is this normal?

Also, accessing http://localhost:8080 never shows anything.  It seems to
be a new way of turning on my CPU fan.  ;-)

jm
--

Post by Michael Westb » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:45:36

> Question: my poor little P2-266 is pegged to the limit when I run
> tomcat and try to access the home page.  Is this normal?

Add memory and/or eliminate X and you should be fine.  I have a 200MHz FreeBSD
with Tomcat 4 that actually out performs P-500's with Win2000/Tomcat in some
cases.

The CPU rev is Netscape.  Once I started accessing the server from a different
computer, that 200MHz machine really started to fly.

Quote:> Also, accessing http://localhost:8080 never shows anything.  It seems to
> be a new way of turning on my CPU fan.  ;-)

You took previous advice and are using the Tomcat4 port, right?  Well, Tomcat
4 is setup to use port 8180 for the stand-alone server, not port 8080.  See
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml for a detailed description of what ports are
being used.

Hope this helps.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/

Post by j mckitri » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:10:23

| > Question: my poor little P2-266 is pegged to the limit when I run
| > tomcat and try to access the home page.  Is this normal?
|
| Add memory and/or eliminate X and you should be fine.  I have a 200MHz FreeBSD
I took your advice (no netscape, no X) an I saw a difference.  Also, it
seems to take a while to get started, but then the CPU usage tapers off.

If I have OpenJIT installed an showing up in 'java -version' does this
mean Tomcat is compiled and then run natively?

jm
--

Post by Michael Westb » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:50:24

> [...] it
> seems to take a while to get started, but then the CPU usage tapers off.

The startup, loading the JVM, each context, etc. will take some resources,
yes.  Also, the first time you access a page with a newer timestamp than the
current clock, the page will be recompiled.  That causes an extra several
seconds for the first acceess.  When you start breaking pages up to include
other pages, you need to learn what gets automatically recompiled and what
doesn't.

Quote:> If I have OpenJIT installed an showing up in 'java -version' does this
> mean Tomcat is compiled and then run natively?

I don't understand the question.  Tomcat is compiled and run under the JVM.
OpenJIT will help out the JVM by converting and executing parts of the Java
byte code to native code.  That's what a JIT does, to my understanding.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear that you've had an increase in performance.

Take care.

--

Post by j mckitri » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:15:05

| other pages, you need to learn what gets automatically recompiled and what
| doesn't.

This is something I know very little about.  I know nothing about JSP
and/or web design, so I'll have to pick up the details as I go along.
However, I'm planning on doing most of my coding as backend stuff, as
opposed to dynamic web page content.

| > If I have OpenJIT installed an showing up in 'java -version' does this
| > mean Tomcat is compiled and then run natively?
|
| I don't understand the question.  Tomcat is compiled and run under the JVM.
| OpenJIT will help out the JVM by converting and executing parts of the Java
| byte code to native code.  That's what a JIT does, to my understanding.

I guess my question is how do I know for sure the JIT is activated and
being used?  Are there constraints on when it is applied, or is it
automatically applied to every java class as soon as I define
JAVA_COMPILER in my profile?

jm
--
There are only 10 types of people in this world:

Recommended servlet starter tools?

Post by Joe Shevlan » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:30:44

If the output from 'java -version' shows that OpenJIT is enabled, you should be OK.

You can make extra sure by defining/exporting this environment variable in the Tomcat startup script though I guess. After that, you don't have to do anything special to gain the benefits.

Cheers,
Joe

Post by j mckitri » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:32:55

| If the output from 'java -version' shows that OpenJIT is enabled, you should be OK.

Okay, I think it's up and running now.  The backtraces for exceptions
say 'compiled code' and it seems to be a bit easier on the CPU.

jm
--
Java on a laptop: the JIT hits the fan.

1. Recommended servlet starter tools?

Hi all,

I just asked about web services, and I'm now trying to decide which jdk
to use.  Do I want the one from IBM, or the latest Linux jdk from Sun?

NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.

2. Problems with login on modem device

3. Sun's recommended GUI development tool

4. /var/spool/mail

5. Can somebody recommend some performance turing toosl and monitor tools for AIX,

6. Message file - HELP

7. recommend iptables config tool

8. xircom lan card solaris 9 x86

9. Which backup tool do you recommend?

10. Recommended Apps and Tools

11. any recommend development tools to be run on FreeBSD 4.1?

12. Recommend Load/Simulation testing tool for Solaris

13. Please recommend tool for managing user accounts on Solaris2