Port updated: www/jakarta-tomcat

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:07:58

Tomcat 3.2.4 has been around since November.  Just an FYI.

Thanks for the good work.

Tom Veldhouse

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:42 AM
Subject: Port updated: www/jakarta-tomcat

> The Tomcat port has been updated. Changes:

> * Bumped PORTREVISION
> * Now displays installation settings
> * Now possible to choose JDK. By default uses FreeBSD JDK 1.3.1 (instead
of
> FreeBSD JDK 1.1.8)
> * Does not depend on pinstall anymore
> * Now possible to change TOMCAT_HOME. By default uses
> ${PREFIX}/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3 (instead of ${PREFIX}/tomcat)
> * Now possible to change LISTEN_PORT. Default is 8080 (unchanged)
> * Added support for running Tomcat as a different user/group. By default a
> new user 'tomcat' and a new group 'tomcat' are created and used
> * A 'tomcatctl' script is installed in /usr/local/bin/, which uses
> interprocess communication to start/stop/restart Tomcat
> * Option is added for automatically starting Tomcat after install
> (AUTO_START). By default Tomcat is started right away
> * Appends stdout and stderr to log files
> * Uses a numeric prefix for the script in ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d (now by
> default 020.jakarta-tomcat.sh instead of tomcat.sh)

> Comments are welcome. Working on the transition to 3.3a now...

> Ernst

> --
> Ernst de Haan
> EuroNet Internet B.V.

>     "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
>         and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ

Port updated: www/jakarta-tomcat

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:21:24

I just tried the port and I get the following (using JDK1.3.1 native)

===>   Generating temporary packing list
Jakarta Tomcat 3.2.3 has been installed in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3.
Use 'man tomcatctl' for information about starting and stopping Jakarta
Tomcat.
Starting Jakarta Tomcat...

Except that it hangs there.

Tom Veldhouse

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:43:55

I just tried the port and I get the following (using JDK1.3.1 native)

===>   Generating temporary packing list
Jakarta Tomcat 3.2.3 has been installed in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3.
Use 'man tomcatctl' for information about starting and stopping Jakarta
Tomcat.
Starting Jakarta Tomcat...

Except that it hangs there.

Tom Veldhouse

> The Tomcat port has been updated. Changes:

> * Bumped PORTREVISION
> * Now displays installation settings
> * Now possible to choose JDK. By default uses FreeBSD JDK 1.3.1 (instead
of
> FreeBSD JDK 1.1.8)
> * Does not depend on pinstall anymore
> * Now possible to change TOMCAT_HOME. By default uses
> ${PREFIX}/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3 (instead of ${PREFIX}/tomcat)
> * Now possible to change LISTEN_PORT. Default is 8080 (unchanged)
> * Added support for running Tomcat as a different user/group. By default a
> new user 'tomcat' and a new group 'tomcat' are created and used
> * A 'tomcatctl' script is installed in /usr/local/bin/, which uses
> interprocess communication to start/stop/restart Tomcat
> * Option is added for automatically starting Tomcat after install
> (AUTO_START). By default Tomcat is started right away
> * Appends stdout and stderr to log files
> * Uses a numeric prefix for the script in ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d (now by
> default 020.jakarta-tomcat.sh instead of tomcat.sh)

> Comments are welcome. Working on the transition to 3.3a now...

> Ernst

> --
> Ernst de Haan
> EuroNet Internet B.V.

>     "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
>         and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ

Port updated: www/jakarta-tomcat

Post by Ernst de Ha » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:47:12

Thomas,

Just ^C, that won't hurt, except for that your pkg database may assume that
the port is not installed (so you'll have to delete
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3/ yourself).

Then try:

   tomcatctl start

Perhaps I should add an option that makes the script more verbose. I have no
idea what the problem could be. Lemme know, and I'll try to fix this ASAP.

I'm using the port with JDK 1.3.1 native as well...

Ernst

> I just tried the port and I get the following (using JDK1.3.1 native)

> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> Jakarta Tomcat 3.2.3 has been installed in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3.
> Use 'man tomcatctl' for information about starting and stopping Jakarta
> Tomcat.
> Starting Jakarta Tomcat...

> Except that it hangs there.

> Tom Veldhouse

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:34:10

It still hangs.  As does calling /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.*.sh start

I simply set AUTO_START="NO" and it installed correctly.  I think that would
be a valuable default.

Tom Veldhouse

> Just ^C, that won't hurt, except for that your pkg database may assume
that
> the port is not installed (so you'll have to delete
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3/ yourself).

> Then try:

>    tomcatctl start

> Perhaps I should add an option that makes the script more verbose. I have
no
> idea what the problem could be. Lemme know, and I'll try to fix this ASAP.

> I'm using the port with JDK 1.3.1 native as well...

> Ernst

> > I just tried the port and I get the following (using JDK1.3.1 native)

> > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > Jakarta Tomcat 3.2.3 has been installed in

/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3.

> > Use 'man tomcatctl' for information about starting and stopping Jakarta
> > Tomcat.
> > Starting Jakarta Tomcat...

> > Except that it hangs there.

> > Tom Veldhouse

Post by Remco van 't Vee » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:24:07

Just a guess, at line 129 in bin/tomcat.sh "&" is used to put the
JVM in the background should tomcatctl and the rc.d script not do
the same?

Another thing; why doesn't the rc.d script use tomcatctl?

Remco

> Thomas,

> Just ^C, that won't hurt, except for that your pkg database may assume that
> the port is not installed (so you'll have to delete
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3/ yourself).

> Then try:

>    tomcatctl start

> Perhaps I should add an option that makes the script more verbose. I have no
> idea what the problem could be. Lemme know, and I'll try to fix this ASAP.

> I'm using the port with JDK 1.3.1 native as well...

> Ernst

> > I just tried the port and I get the following (using JDK1.3.1 native)

> > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > Jakarta Tomcat 3.2.3 has been installed in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3.
> > Use 'man tomcatctl' for information about starting and stopping Jakarta
> > Tomcat.
> > Starting Jakarta Tomcat...

> > Except that it hangs there.

> > Tom Veldhouse

We endeavor to engage turn-key mega-schemas and expertly envision
our real-time interfaces to take us ahead of the competition.

Port updated: www/jakarta-tomcat

Post by Remco van 't Vee » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:50:50

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

JSP don't work because the JAVA_HOME (if not set) is setup after
trying to include tools.jar in de CLASSPATH.  Attached you will
find a modified version of tomcatctl which sets up tools.jar
properly and puts the JVM in the background when starting.

Remco

PS. great work, thanks!

--
It is our responsibility to achieve progress in harnessing evolutionary
mega-assets and speedily generating scalable mindshare.

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

#!/bin/sh

# Set some variables
VERSION=3.2.3
APP_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3
USER_NAME=tomcat
STDOUT_LOG=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3/logs/stdout.log
STDERR_LOG=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat3.2.3/logs/stderr.log
JAR_FILE=${APP_HOME}/lib/webserver.jar
MYSELF=`basename $0`

# Set the CLASSPATH
unset CLASSPATH
for i in ${APP_HOME}/lib/* ; do
        if [ "$CLASSPATH" != "" ]; then
                CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$i
        else
                CLASSPATH=$i
        fi
done

# Check if we're being run as a shell script or as an rc script
if [ ${MYSELF} = "jakarta-tomcat.sh" ]; then
        AS_RC_SCRIPT=yes
else
        AS_RC_SCRIPT=no
fi

# Check if the JAVA_HOME directory is defined, otherwise set it to the
# fallback default
if [ "${JAVA_HOME}a" = "a" ]; then
        JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1
fi
JAVA_CMD=${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java

# include tools.jar for jasper
if [ -f ${JAVA_HOME}/lib/tools.jar ] ; then
        CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:${JAVA_HOME}/lib/tools.jar
fi

# Function that starts the application
start() {
        # Make sure the application directory does exist
        if [ ! -d ${APP_HOME} ]; then
                if [ "${AS_RC_SCRIPT}" = "yes" ]; then
                        echo ""
                fi
                echo "tomcat: ERROR: Unable to find Jakarta Tomcat home directory at ${APP_HOME}."
                exit 2
        fi

        # Make sure the application JAR file exists
        if [ ! -r ${JAR_FILE} ]; then
                if [ "${AS_RC_SCRIPT}" = "yes" ]; then
                        echo ""
                fi
                echo "tomcat: ERROR: Unable to find Jakarta Tomcat JAR file at ${JAR_FILE}."
                exit 3
        fi

        # Make sure the Java VM can be found
        if [ ! -x ${JAVA_CMD} ]; then
                if [ "${AS_RC_SCRIPT}" = "yes" ]; then
                        echo ""
                fi
                echo "tomcat: ERROR: Unable to find Java VM at ${JAVA_HOME}."
                exit 4
        fi

        if [ "${AS_RC_SCRIPT}" = "yes" ]; then
                echo -n " tomcat"
        fi
        su - ${USER_NAME} -c "(cd ${APP_HOME} && ${JAVA_CMD} -cp ${CLASSPATH} -Dtomcat.home=${APP_HOME} org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat) >> ${STDOUT_LOG} 2>> ${STDERR_LOG} &"

Quote:}

# Function that stops the application
stop() {
        if [ "${AS_RC_SCRIPT}" = "yes" ]; then
                echo -n " tomcat"
        fi
        su - ${USER_NAME} -c "(cd ${APP_HOME} && ${JAVA_CMD} -cp ${CLASSPATH} -Dtomcat.home=${APP_HOME} org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat -stop) >> ${STDOUT_LOG} 2>> ${STDERR_LOG}"

Quote:}

case "$1" in
        start)
                start
                ;;
        stop)
                stop
                ;;
        restart)
                stop
                start
                ;;
        *)
                echo ""
                echo "Usage: ${MYSELF} { start | stop | restart }"
                echo ""
                exit 64
                ;;
esac

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--

1. ANN: Jakarta Tomcat 4 now in www/jakarta-tomcat

Hi all,

After a *long* time and a lot of requests, Jakarta Tomcat 4 is now finally in
the Ports Collection. It has taken the place of Tomcat 3 in
www/jakarta-tomcat.

If you have already installed Tomcat 3, you can upgrade to Tomcat 4
using portupgrade. You should have portupgrade
(/usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade) installed, after which you can execute:

        # portupgrade jakarta-tomcat

If you have not yet installed Tomcat 3, then you can install Tomcat 4 as
follows:

        # cd /usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat
        # make install

For those who prefer Tomcat 3, it is from now on available as the port
www/jakarta-tomcat3. You cannot use portupgrade to upgrade from an old
version of the Tomcat 3 port to a newer version. To do this you should
deinstall your Tomcat 3 port and then install the jakarta-tomcat3 port. For
instance:

        # pkg_info | grep tomcat
        jakarta-tomcat-3.3_2 A 100% Pure Java web server with built-in...
        # pkg_delete jakarta-tomcat-3.3_2
        # cd /usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat3
        # make install

For any additional questions, please send an email to the FreeBSD Java

Kind regards,

Ernst

2. HELP: plp tunelp HP-LJ IIID suse

3. Port www/jakarta-tomcat refactored

4. SCO 3.2.4.0 and AHA-2940UW controller

5. Tired of manually deleting jakarta-tomcat port...

6. Solaris X86 2.4 - Custom Video Settings

7. jakarta-tomcat port

8. **cron jobs do not alwats run

9. Repocopy request: www/jakarta-tomcat4 -> www/jakarta-tomcat4-devel

10. Repocopy request: www/jakarta-tomcat4 -> www/jakarta-tomcat41

11. Logs in Jakarta-Tomcat ??

12. Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.18 + FreeBSD + linux-sun-jdk14 won't start ...