1. Slow Browsing with FreeBSD 5-RELEASE & Samba 2.2.8a
Dell Poweredge 500SC, 1.2g Celeron, all UDMA100 IDE 7200-rpm drives,
1gb ECC-SDRAM, 2 100mb NICs
FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE, providing file/print/DNS/WINS/DHCP/Mail/HTTPD/FTP
functionality for a 5-user network, using Samba, BIND, Apache, ProFTP,
ISC DHCP, Postfix/Cyrus, and IPF. IPF is configured to allow ANY on
the internal NIC.
Kernel: GENERIC, with options for IPF added only
Sysctl: tuned up with extra IP options, NMBClusters, etc...
Workstations: all use the IP of the FreeBSD server as their default
gateway, and WINS/DNS entries also.
I compiled Samba 2.2.8a from the ports collection. I have added the
usual socket opts to make it run faster:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
I have 3 Windows boxes on the network with this server (Win98, Win2K,
WinXP). All 3 boxes exhibit the same problem. When I open Explorer,
then start opening folders inside my mapped drive (Z: maps to the
samba share I need), it takes FOREVER to open folders and display
their contents. FOREVER = 15 seconds.
I can copy files really fast from the Samba shares to the local hard
drives on each workstation, about as fast as file copies between the 3
So, file copies work, but browsing is slllooooowwww. Any ideas,
2. Backup with tar and floppy
3. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!
4. Cannot assign requested address
5. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release
6. Some linux screenshots ...
7. disabling bell on Free BSD 2.2.5-RELEASE
8. Problem with pw-syscall4.1 & sys_kuload
9. jdk14 no go on freebsd release 5.0p3
10. Problem building jdk14 in 5.0-RELEASE-p7
11. jdk14 no go on freebsd release 5.0p3
12. IBM Sign-up Site for IBM announcements, promotions, press releases
13. Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4