[Fwd: Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?]

Post by Scott Ree » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 04:28:58

--------------080406050703070108040005

I'm forwarding this note along because this is the solution that I ended
up going with.  It worked very well and I now have a working setup.
Thank you all for your help!

-Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:48:40 +0000

I did it by hand with the latest connectors

Built it with the next three steps.

extract jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.*-src.tar.gz to
/usr/local/src or wherever convenient.

copy the build freebsd.sh to the
"jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-01-src/jk/native/apache-1.3" directory.

in the same directory run sh ./build-freebsd.sh. This will build
mod_jk and copy it to /usr/local/libexec/apache.

--------------080406050703070108040005

#!/bin/sh

# Remake of the build-unix.sh for FreeBSD
# Usage: build-unix.sh
# Sets a bunch of variables and calls APXS to build mod_jk
# on Unix.  An alternative to the makefiles, hopefully more portable.

# Configure by changing the following variables:
# Set to match the ports installation .

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1
APACHE_HOME=/usr/local

# name of subdir under JAVA_HOME/jre/lib
ARCH=i386

CFLAGS="-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -fpic  -DSHARED_MODULE -O2 -D_REENTRANT -pthread -DLINUX -Wall"

APXS=$APACHE_HOME/sbin/apxs

# Expects native FreeBSD java install
# Adjust for linux emulation

JAVA_INCLUDE="-I ${JAVA_HOME}/include -I ${JAVA_HOME}/include/freebsd"

INCLUDE="-I ../common $JAVA_INCLUDE"
SRC="mod_jk.c ../common/*.c"

#echo INCLUDE=$INCLUDE
#echo SRC=$SRC

# Run APXS to compile module
echo Compiling mod_jk
$APXS -c -o mod_jk.so $INCLUDE $LIB $SRC

# Copy mod_jk.so into the apache libexec directory
echo Installing mod_jk.so into $APACHE_HOME/libexec/apache
cp mod_jk.so $APACHE_HOME/libexec/apache

# Done!

1. Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and jk?

[Please cc: me in any replies as I am not currently subbed to this list.
  Thank you.]

Hello,

My ISP is going to be upgrading our server within the next few weeks and
we also wanted to upgrade Tomcat to version 4.1.18.  There is one small
problem with this, however.  There is currently no port of jk or jk2
that will allow us to let Tomcat 4 and Apache play together.  mod_webapp
is not really an option because that is only for Apache 2 and (according
to the Tomcat docs) is a poor substitute for jk.  I know there is a lot
of interest in something like this as I've found numerous other
instances of people asking my same question, but there seems to be no
answer currently.  In light of this, I was wondering if there were plans
to make a port of jk or jk2 for Tomcat 4 so that we may take advantage
of the newer features and better perfomance of Tomcat 4.  Or, if no
plans are in the works, does anyone have a working set up where Apache
1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.18 are working together as they should?  If so,
I'd be very interested in hearing about how this was accomplished.

Thank you,
Scott

2. Testing existance of substring in string...

3. Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.18 + FreeBSD + linux-sun-jdk14 won't start ...

4. X windows configuration

5. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

6. Q: Sendmail SMTP

7. jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

8. AST ethernode driver availability

9. Specifying jdk for tomcat 4.1.18

10. mod_jk for tomcat 4.1.18 and Aix5.1

11. apache 1.3.27 make errors

12. mod_dir to use hostname instead of ServerName (Apache 1.3.27)

13. using .htaccess files in apache 1.3.27 virtual dirs