SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

Post by Ernst de Ha » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 19:50:19

Alexey, Greg,

We're in the middle of deploying quite a large frontend application on
Tomcat 4. We'd prefer to deploy on J2SE 1.3/FreeBSD, but we're getting
SIGBUS errors. Currently we're using these versions:

* Tomcat 4.1.24
* JDK 1.3.1p7

* x86 SMP system (Dual P4, I think)

I see a number of alternative solutions:

* Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.8 (I remember there were some Java-related
  improvements after Nov 2002, right?)
* Upgrade to JDK 1.3.1p8
* Set MAXUSERS to 0 in the kernel config file and recompile and install the
  kernel (I remember this solved some native JDK problem in the past)
* Use a different J2SE VM (I don't really want to do this)
* Examine the core file to see what exactly went wrong

Any suggested approach?

Would any of you be able to examine the contents of this core file? I have
no experience with that sort of thing whatsoever :(

This is the head of the error message in the log file:

SIGBUS    10*  bus error

Full thread dump Classic VM (1.3.1-p7-goran-021210-11:39, green threads):
    "Keep-Alive-Timer:templates.gpf.wanadoo.nl" (TID:0x28e46e48,
sys_thread_t:0x8b4d680, state:CW) prio=8
        at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
        at sun.net.www.http.ClientVector.run(KeepAliveCache.java:216)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
    "Thread-25" (TID:0x28dd5bd8, sys_thread_t:0x8b4d280, state:MW) prio=5
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1355)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1289)

Regards,

Ernst

SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

Post by Alexey Zelk » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:19:42

hi,

Well.  I am not jdk1.3 expert, but quick look on dump shows that you're
using 'green threads'.  So, problem can be related to JIT which you're
using or maybe application itself.

Actually, from my expirience of porting jdk14 -- SIGBUS is usually notice
of StackOverflow, but I don't know details of stack implementation in
'green threads'.

> Alexey, Greg,

> We're in the middle of deploying quite a large frontend application on
> Tomcat 4. We'd prefer to deploy on J2SE 1.3/FreeBSD, but we're getting
> SIGBUS errors. Currently we're using these versions:

> * Tomcat 4.1.24
> * JDK 1.3.1p7

> * x86 SMP system (Dual P4, I think)

> I see a number of alternative solutions:

> * Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.8 (I remember there were some Java-related
>   improvements after Nov 2002, right?)

No reason to do it, unless you propose to use 'native threads' or jdk14.

Quote:> * Upgrade to JDK 1.3.1p8

That's first point which you need to try.

Quote:> * Set MAXUSERS to 0 in the kernel config file and recompile and install the
>   kernel (I remember this solved some native JDK problem in the past)

You're not using native threads, so native threads methods are unapplicable.

Quote:> * Use a different J2SE VM (I don't really want to do this)

Why not ?

Quote:> * Examine the core file to see what exactly went wrong

> Any suggested approach?

Try updating to -p8 and see if anything changes.

SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

Post by Ernst de Ha » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 21:05:27

Quote:> Well.  I am not jdk1.3 expert, but quick look on dump shows that you're
> using 'green threads'.  So, problem can be related to JIT which you're
> using or maybe application itself.

No JIT is used. And the application self (Tomcat) cannot be the problem, can
it? It's running within the JVM...

Quote:> Actually, from my expirience of porting jdk14 -- SIGBUS is usually notice
> of StackOverflow, but I don't know details of stack implementation in
> 'green threads'.

You mean a stack overflow in the C code?

Ernst

> > Alexey, Greg,

> > We're in the middle of deploying quite a large frontend application on
> > Tomcat 4. We'd prefer to deploy on J2SE 1.3/FreeBSD, but we're getting
> > SIGBUS errors. Currently we're using these versions:

> > * Tomcat 4.1.24
> > * JDK 1.3.1p7

> > * x86 SMP system (Dual P4, I think)

> > I see a number of alternative solutions:

> > * Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.8 (I remember there were some Java-related
> >   improvements after Nov 2002, right?)

> No reason to do it, unless you propose to use 'native threads' or jdk14.

> > * Upgrade to JDK 1.3.1p8

> That's first point which you need to try.

> > * Set MAXUSERS to 0 in the kernel config file and recompile and install
> > the kernel (I remember this solved some native JDK problem in the past)

> You're not using native threads, so native threads methods are
> unapplicable.

> > * Use a different J2SE VM (I don't really want to do this)

> Why not ?

> > * Examine the core file to see what exactly went wrong

> > Any suggested approach?

> Try updating to -p8 and see if anything changes.

SIGBUS on FreeBSD 4.7-S / Native JDK 1.3

Post by Greg Lew » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:48:25

Hi Ernst,

> We're in the middle of deploying quite a large frontend application on
> Tomcat 4. We'd prefer to deploy on J2SE 1.3/FreeBSD, but we're getting
> SIGBUS errors. Currently we're using these versions:

> * Tomcat 4.1.24
> * JDK 1.3.1p7

> * x86 SMP system (Dual P4, I think)

> I see a number of alternative solutions:

> * Upgrade to FreeBSD 4.8 (I remember there were some Java-related
>   improvements after Nov 2002, right?)

Native threading only.

Quote:> * Upgrade to JDK 1.3.1p8

This may solve your problem.

Quote:> * Set MAXUSERS to 0 in the kernel config file and recompile and install the
>   kernel (I remember this solved some native JDK problem in the past)

I've never heard of that :).

Quote:> * Use a different J2SE VM (I don't really want to do this)
> * Examine the core file to see what exactly went wrong

This is particularly helpful if you can get a core generated with java_g.

Quote:> Any suggested approach?

Upgrade to 1.3.1p8 and see if you can reproduce the problem, particularly
with java_g.  There was at least one SIGBUS fixed by p8.

Quote:> Would any of you be able to examine the contents of this core file? I have
> no experience with that sort of thing whatsoever :(

My time is pretty limited right now, but if the problem still occurs after
upgrading to 1.3.1p8 I'll try and take a look.

--

Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com