Problems with the netscape plugin

Post by Jon Kust » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:30:00

Is anybody else having problems using the jdk1.3p8 plug-in with
Mozilla?  Mozilla finds and seems to load the plug-in (it's listed in
about:plugins), but when it comes time to actually run an applet, it
doesn't do anything. No "loading applet" - it doesn't even seem to
download the applet.  The demos that get installed with the port work if
I manually run them from the command line, so I don't think it's a
problem with the jvm itself.  I've currently got it build with Hotspot,
but the plug-in wasn't working without Hotspot either.  Any ideas?

FreeBSD jonnyv.kwsn.lan 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Thu Jun 12

i386

Thanks
Jon Kuster

Date: 15 Jun 2003 20:29:42 -0700
::Is anybody else having problems using the jdk1.3p8 plug-in with
::Mozilla?  Mozilla finds and seems to load the plug-in (it's listed in
::about:plugins), but when it comes time to actually run an applet, it
::doesn't do anything. No "loading applet" - it doesn't even seem to
::download the applet.  The demos that get installed with the port work if
::I manually run them from the command line, so I don't think it's a
::problem with the jvm itself.  I've currently got it build with Hotspot,
::but the plug-in wasn't working without Hotspot either.  Any ideas?

Do you use proxy when browsing the Net?

jdk1.3 does not seem to reference the proxy setup for Mozilla.
You have to manually setup proxy with ControlPanel program, that
comes with jdk1.3.

Hope this helps,
 Haro

Post by Jon Kust » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:25:33

> Date: 15 Jun 2003 20:29:42 -0700
> ::Is anybody else having problems using the jdk1.3p8 plug-in with
> ::Mozilla?  Mozilla finds and seems to load the plug-in (it's listed in
> ::about:plugins), but when it comes time to actually run an applet, it
> ::doesn't do anything. No "loading applet" - it doesn't even seem to
> ::download the applet.  The demos that get installed with the port work if
> ::I manually run them from the command line, so I don't think it's a
> ::problem with the jvm itself.  I've currently got it build with Hotspot,
> ::but the plug-in wasn't working without Hotspot either.  Any ideas?

> Do you use proxy when browsing the Net?

> jdk1.3 does not seem to reference the proxy setup for Mozilla.
> You have to manually setup proxy with ControlPanel program, that
> comes with jdk1.3.

I'm behind a NAT (user-ppp), but I'm not using any proxies.  I found the
control panel.  If I run it with the shell script in jdk1.3.1/bin
independently of mozilla, it works, but if I use the webpage in
jdk1.3.1/jre, it doesn't work.  FWIW, this setup (different binaries, of
course) used to work under -stable with no problems.

-Jon

Post by Antony T Curt » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:23:51

Problems with the netscape plugin

Post by sh.. » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:45:20

Quote:> > It blows up and takes Mozilla
> > with it if I try to use libkse or libthr, but that's another matter.

> I think you'd have to make sure that mozilla is using the same threading
> library as the java plugin.

Those threading libraries can be different because the JVM invoked as
a Plug-in is a different process from the browser.
See

  Subject: Re: Java for FreeBSD
  Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:49:35 +0900 (JST)
  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=37329+0+archive/2002/fre...

Post by Greg Lew » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:41:30

> > Ugh.  I feel like an idiot.  I forgot to enable Java in my Mozilla
> > preferences.  The plug-in works fine.  It blows up and takes Mozilla
> > with it if I try to use libkse or libthr, but that's another matter.

> I think you'd have to make sure that mozilla is using the same threading
> library as the java plugin.

No.  Think 4.x where Mozilla uses libc_r and the plugin uses green threads
(by default).

--

Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

1. Cant load plugin /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/java_30

The directions say to put java_30 in /usr/local/lib/netscape. It is
only the default plugin file (libnullplugin.so) that goes in the
plugins subdirectory.

Regards-
                                                - Marty

Java Programming Resources: <http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/>

2. 3 ide disk problem

3. Flash Plugin for netscape+xmms = Netscape freezing?

4. Sol 8 sparc & TCPWrappers. Cant get logging to work. Please help.

5. Flash Plugin & Netscape 6.1 on Mandrake 8.0 Problems

6. Simple directory-copy-with-owners question

7. Real Player 7 plugin problem with Netscape 6.

8. X Terminals and Solaris

9. Netscape plugin development problem...

10. netscape problem with plugins

11. problem with Netscape java plugin

12. Problems with RealPlayer plugin in Netscape

13. Netscape plugins problem (Flash)