TIB software and JDK 1.2.2b10

Post by Chuck Ries » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:35:40

------=_NextPart_000_0110_01C16229.9EA550E0

Here is a follow-up to getting TIB/RV working on FreeBSD and Java:

I couldn't get Tibco's TIB/RV (Version 6.8) software to work on my =
FreeBSD 4.3 machine using jdk1.2.2p10.  The VM kept crashing.  I talked =
to Tibco customer support and got the following reply:

  " Since the Java jdk only supports green threads on FreeBSD 4.3 and =
Rendezvous (TIB/RV)
requires the use of native threads, the Java API is not supported on =
this
platform. "

So, I don't know if what customer support says is true.  But I did =
notice that I could not get the example TIB/RV programs to run on =
jdk1.1.8 on FreeBSD 4.3 either.   I did get the C example programs to =
run.  I was able to get the example program "tibrvlisten" to work by =
using rva (instead of rvd) and changing the transport from =
TibRvdTransport to TibRvaTransport and running in JAVA mode vs NATIVE =
mode which bypasses the JNI calls to the C Tibco library functions and =
calls pure Java functions as I understand it.

So if I build jdk1.31p5 on FreeBSD 4.3 will it use native threads?  Do I =
need FreeBSD 4.4? Do I need a thread patch?

Thanks a bunch

------=_NextPart_000_0110_01C16229.9EA550E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Here is a follow-up to getting TIB/RV working on FreeBSD and =
Java:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I couldn't get Tibco's TIB/RV (Version 6.8) software to work on my =
FreeBSD=20
4.3 machine using jdk1.2.2p10.&nbsp; The VM kept crashing.&nbsp; I =
talked to=20
Tibco customer support and got the following reply:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;" Since the Java jdk only supports green threads on =
FreeBSD 4.3=20
and Rendezvous (TIB/RV)<BR>requires the use of native threads, the Java =
API is=20
not supported on this<BR>platform. "</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So, I don't know if what customer support says is true.&nbsp; But I =
did=20
notice that I could not get the example TIB/RV programs to run on =
jdk1.1.8 on=20
FreeBSD 4.3 either.&nbsp;&nbsp; I did get the C example programs to =
run.&nbsp; I=20
was able to get the example program "tibrvlisten" to work by using rva =
(instead=20
of rvd) and changing the transport from TibRvdTransport to =
TibRvaTransport and=20
running in JAVA mode vs NATIVE mode which bypasses the JNI calls to the =
C Tibco=20
library functions and calls pure Java functions as I understand =
it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So if I build jdk1.31p5 on FreeBSD 4.3 will it use native =
threads?&nbsp; Do=20
I need FreeBSD 4.4? Do I need a thread patch?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks a bunch</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0110_01C16229.9EA550E0--