cvs commit: ports/java Makefile ports/java/forte Makefile distinfo (fwd)

cvs commit: ports/java Makefile ports/java/forte Makefile distinfo (fwd)

Post by Maxim Sobol » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:22:46

Quote:> Hi Maxim,

> Seems I was too hasty.  I think the updated patch (attached) handles
> things better.  Please let me know.

Still no go. Apparently I misguided you in my last e-mail. The error
message in question ls:

/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/../bin/java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=big_brother:1028,suspend=y -Djava.compiler=NONE "-Xbootclasspath:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/../lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/i18n.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/classes:" -classpath "/root/ffjuser30/system:/usr/local/share/java/forte4j/system:/usr/local/share/java/forte4j/beans/TimerBean.jar:/root/ffjuser30/sampledir:/tmp:/usr/local/share/java/forte4j/modules/ext/AbsoluteLayout.jar:/usr/local/share/java/forte4j/lib/ext/servlet.jar" Test
Can't load "libjdwp.so", because /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/../jre/../lib/i386/libjdwp.so: Undefined symbol "fork1"

I donno where that `fork1' came from - the system in question is fairly
recent 5-CURRENT box, last updated on 17 August.

There are also another serious problem with it - it doesn't accept uppercase
letters, i.e. when I'm trying to type uppercase letter it gets lowercase
instead, which makes it pretty useless, as Java is case-sensitive. At the
same time Linux JDK doesn't have such problem, so it is unlikely that this
is a local misconfiguration.

Please let me know if you will have any ideas on how it could be fixed.

Thank you!

-Maxim

Post by Bill Hu » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:40:35

> I donno where that `fork1' came from - the system in question is fairly
> recent 5-CURRENT box, last updated on 17 August.

Nuke that out of the source tree. Replace that with a normal fork(), vfork()
should work out just as well since Solaris's fork1() only copies the current
executing thread and expect you to do a execv() of some sort.

Let me do more investigation, this bring back some memories..

Quote:> There are also another serious problem with it - it doesn't accept uppercase
> letters, i.e. when I'm trying to type uppercase letter it gets lowercase
> instead, which makes it pretty useless, as Java is case-sensitive. At the
> same time Linux JDK doesn't have such problem, so it is unlikely that this
> is a local misconfiguration.

Don't know about that.

bill

Post by Bill Hu » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 16:50:45

> Nuke that out of the source tree. Replace that with a normal fork(), vfork()
> should work out just as well since Solaris's fork1() only copies the current
> executing thread and expect you to do a execv() of some sort.

> Let me do more investigation, this bring back some memories..

Replying to my own post. ;-)

It's looking it build the wrong file. Let me check it out more...

bill

Post by Bill Hu » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 19:31:13

> I donno where that `fork1' came from - the system in question is fairly
> recent 5-CURRENT box, last updated on 17 August.

Try changing the fork1() to vfork() and report back in:

../ext/jpda/src/solaris/back/exec_md.c

There's a number of other places that have fork1() that were missed,
but I want to see if this changes your results.

;-)

bill

cvs commit: ports/java Makefile ports/java/forte Makefile distinfo (fwd)

Post by Fuyuhiko Maruya » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:04:01

Hi,

At Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:21:12 +0300 (EEST),
...snip

Quote:

> There are also another serious problem with it - it doesn't accept uppercase
> letters, i.e. when I'm trying to type uppercase letter it gets lowercase
> instead, which makes it pretty useless, as Java is case-sensitive. At the
> same time Linux JDK doesn't have such problem, so it is unlikely that this
> is a local misconfiguration.

> Please let me know if you will have any ideas on how it could be fixed.

The native J2SDK 1.3.1 on the CVS already fixed the problem -
uppercase letters cannot be used.

The next patchset will help you.

--

Matsuoka laboratory,
Department of Mathematical and Computing Sciences,

Post by Maxim Sobol » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 04:19:25

> Hi,

> At Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:21:12 +0300 (EEST),

> ...snip

> > There are also another serious problem with it - it doesn't accept uppercase
> > letters, i.e. when I'm trying to type uppercase letter it gets lowercase
> > instead, which makes it pretty useless, as Java is case-sensitive. At the
> > same time Linux JDK doesn't have such problem, so it is unlikely that this
> > is a local misconfiguration.

> > Please let me know if you will have any ideas on how it could be fixed.
> The native J2SDK 1.3.1 on the CVS already fixed the problem -
> uppercase letters cannot be used.

> The next patchset will help you.

Fine! Do you have any estimates as to when it will be available? I really
think that it should be done RSN, because in its current state JDK is hardly
an usable one. So far I encountered three serious problems with it:
1. Unability to use JIT;
2. Undefined references to fork1() in some of the shared files;
3. Problem with uppercase letters.

I was also observing some rather weird problems with networking in Jedit,
but have not performed any investigation to make at least minimal problem
report.

Nevertheless, I would like to thank you and all members of Java porting team
for your truly great work, please keep doing!

-Maxim

Post by Greg Lew » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 05:50:20

> Fine! Do you have any estimates as to when it will be available? I really
> think that it should be done RSN, because in its current state JDK is hardly
> an usable one. So far I encountered three serious problems with it:
> 1. Unability to use JIT;
> 2. Undefined references to fork1() in some of the shared files;
> 3. Problem with uppercase letters.

> I was also observing some rather weird problems with networking in Jedit,
> but have not performed any investigation to make at least minimal problem
> report.

Probably the connect() problem which is also fixed in the repository.

New patchset will be out this weekend.  I hope to send you some patches
for the port at the same time.

--

Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887
Information Technology                Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

Post by Greg Lew » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 14:21:57

> I downloaded the 3rd patchset, and couldn't get it to apply cleanly.  I
> applied all of the reject's by hand.  The funny thing is, when I did the
> 2nd patchset it applied cleanly.

> Anyway now I get a jvm crash while trying to build it.  I tryed my
> internal build first, and then the linux-jdk with no luck.

> Is there anyway for me to tell if I have the correct src tarball?  I saw
> some talk about updating the patches for the latest version of the src,
> and I wasn't to sure which one I have.

Given that patchset 2 applies cleanly and patchset 3 doesn't, you have
the older version of the source base (thats when the cutover happened).
Please download the newer version from Sun.