chflags not change flags at symlink

Post by Andrew A. Oz » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 05:42:50

Hello All! After unsuccessful "make world" at FreeBSD 4.4  I have
in/usr/obj a some not-deleteted symbolic link ." rm: Operation not
permitted ...etc"
 The strangest, that chflags does not change anything so:
 #bwa-gw  ls
 make_ext make_ext.b
 #bwa-gw chflags noschg make_ext
 #bwa-gw ls-lo
total 5 lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel sappnd 78 Jun 27 17:26 make_ext -
Quote:>/usr/src/gnu/usr .bin/perl/suidperl/.../../../contrib/perl5/ext/util/make_ext-rw-------1

root wheel - 4005 Jun 28 23:30 make_ext.b
#bwa-gw whoami root
#bwa-gw
 Flags -R -L chglags changed, securelevel too-1/0; sappnd does not
change in any way .nosappnd also not change .  Question does not help
- as it is treated?

Best regards       Andrew A. Ozol  sysadmin

1. "Symlink component flag not implemented": problem with long symlinks?

Hi,

ther other day I got the following kernel error messages, a couplt of times:

"Symlink component flag not implemented"

Something followed by a number. Looking through the kernel souce code I found
that this message is generated by the rockridge part of the iso9660. Which
makes sense because I was reading a CD-ROM. I suspect the error is cause by
a buffer overflow of some kind because when I tried to reproduce the error
it displayed less errors than before! Eventually the number of errors was
reduced to 1.

I got this error with: kernel 2.2.8 using while reading the Solaris 2.5.1
installation CD-ROM (Sparc version). For instance try to do an ls on:

/cdrom/MU/Solaris_2.5.1MU5/sparc/Patches/patch/SUNWpatch.sun4u1/reloc/opt/SUNWit
s/Graphics-sw/xil/lib/pipelines

And see what happens. In my case the first symlink should probably end in
"pipelines/", but it was displayed as "pipelinki". So it seems there's some
kind of buffer overflow (?).

Is this a know problem? (couldn't find anything on dejanews though).

Cheers,
Peter

--

    Peter Bouthoorn        |  "We will encourage you to develop the three

     Linux addict          |   impatience, and hubris"
                           |                          L. Wall & R.L. Schwarz

2. Announce: North Texas Linux Users Group

3. Problems in 4.4: fxp in SMP-Mode, chflags /kernel: Operation not permitted

4. Can't write to NFS drive.

5. chflags: Operation not permitted ?

6. openwindows can't find libs

7. Can't Change the desktop symlinks icons.

8. Linux Ethernet HOWTO

9. hp-ux C compiler flags vs hp-aix C compiler flags

10. Changing symlinks mod time.....

11. patch 08/38: CLIENT: change hard limit on symlink length

12. rdist changes symlink owner to root

13. REPOST patch 07/38: CLIENT: change hard limit on symlink length