indirect route

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:09:05

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here.
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I have dynamic dns for my freebsd box (we'll call it foobar.net), and all
> works well as a gateway and stuff.
> The problem is that sometimes "tracert foobar.net" from my other machine
> reveals a roundabout route to guestwho.net (ie. it goes to the gateway, then
> out through my ISP, and back in again). Other times it just realises
> foobar.net is on the internal network and it goes directly to it like I
> want.

> My question is, what is causing this to happen ? Is it my end or my ISP ?

Probably your end.  You need to make sure that the address mappings
are happening properly, and that the internal machines know they are
on the same network as the mapping for "foobar.net".