Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

Post by Ker Lut » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:01:22

Can someone help me upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE?  I tried
getting the sources for RELENG_4, but then when I tried make
buildworld I got all sorts of compilation errors.

Then I saw a note that said I had to go to 4.1 first.  So I set
RELENG_4_1, but for that target I get no sources at all! (my /usr/src
is now empty)

I don't need help on how to build, I plan on following the UPDATING
instructions, but I am confused about what set of targets I should aim
for and in what order.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:59:13

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is a poorly propagated newsgroup.  For better
results, try the official newsgroup, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, or
better yet, the mailing lists.
   [ http://www.freebsd.org/support.html ]

> Can someone help me upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE?  I tried
> getting the sources for RELENG_4, but then when I tried make
> buildworld I got all sorts of compilation errors.

> Then I saw a note that said I had to go to 4.1 first.  So I set
> RELENG_4_1, but for that target I get no sources at all! (my /usr/src
> is now empty)

There is no RELENG_4_1 tag.  I think you meant RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html).

But really, it's a lot easier to do a binary upgrade first, to get you to
4.4, and then start using source upgrades from there.

Quote:> I don't need help on how to build, I plan on following the UPDATING
> instructions, but I am confused about what set of targets I should aim
> for and in what order.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

The basic synopsis, as covered there and in the UPDATING file, is:
 - update sources
 - make buildworld
 - make buildkernel
 - merge /etc files [mergemaster(8) recommended]
 - rebuild devices
 - make installkernel
 - reboot (single-user mode) with new kernel/modules
 - make installworld

1. 3.2-STABLE to 3.4-STABLE device name change

Shifted across from a 3.2-STABLE kernel to a 3.4-STABLE kernel (after
a `make world` on 3.4-STABLE source). A device has changed name, it
appears.

Under 3.2-STABLE it is:

 $df -k | grep ccd
 /dev/ccd0c    8695067  3598685  4400777    45%    /usr/local/var
 $mount | grep ccd
 /dev/ccd0c on /usr/local/var (ufs, local, writes: sync 135447 async 15757194)

Under 3.4-STABLE it is trying to mount a six-character device name.

Has anyone else experienced this or can shed some light as to what's going
on and/or why the change was necessary? Thanks.

2. eth1 process

3. Upgrade from 2.1-Stable to 2.2-Stable

4. slow connection

5. Cant find errno.h while upgrading 3.1-stable (to 3.1-stable)

6. Samba Performance on FreeBSD

7. 3-Stable -> 4-Stable upgrade using cvsup possible?

8. Upgrading Apache

9. problems with (r)adc0c on 4.X-STABLE

10. buildworld on 4.x-STABLE failing

11. x10d not working on 4.x-stable

12. NATD gags on UDP packets in 3.4-STABLE

13. Update 3.4-RELEASE to -STABLE