CD-ROM mount failure: invalid argument

Post by JB » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:20:08

Dear All,

I've tried:

% mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: incorrect super block
% cd /dev && rm acd* && cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV ./
% ./MAKEDEV acd
% chmod 666 acd0c
% mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: invalid argument

I have no idea how to mount CD-ROM onto my system.
With previous version of FreeBSD, there was no problem
occured when I tried to mount CD-ROM. FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
is currently installed on my system.

If there is anyone knows how to solve the problem
mentioned above, please post any advice for me.
Thanks for the care to answer my question.

CD-ROM mount failure: invalid argument

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 04:08:04

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I've tried:

> % mount /cdrom
> cd9660: /dev/acd0c: incorrect super block

That sounds like a problem with the disk in the drive.
Make sure it's an ISO 9660.

Quote:> % cd /dev && rm acd* && cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV ./

The sources match the kernel installed, right?  If you have newer
sources than your installed system, the devices may not match
correctly.  I don't think anything has changed relative to acd, but I
could be forgetting something.

Quote:> % ./MAKEDEV acd

You mean acd0, right?

Quote:> % chmod 666 acd0c
> % mount /cdrom
> cd9660: /dev/acd0c: invalid argument

> I have no idea how to mount CD-ROM onto my system.
> With previous version of FreeBSD, there was no problem
> occured when I tried to mount CD-ROM. FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
> is currently installed on my system.

use "sh MAKEDEV all" and everything else will be built as well).  Then
try mounting with an explicit command (so that you're not dependent on
your fstab file, which you didn't show us):
 "mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom"