screen resolution at bootup

Post by Konstantin Goudko » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:46:05

I think there is a compatibility issue with older chipsets that prevents
using more than 64K of buffer. So to be safe, FreeBSD does not allow any
changes to the video mode of the terminal.

Quote:> Hello all,

> In Linux it's possible to supply a kernel parameter at bootup to set the
> screen resolution, e.g.

>   kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x319

> would set the screen resolution to 1280x1024. Other resolutions are
> possible, see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt.

> My question: is something like that possible in FreeBSD? I'm new to
FreeBSD,
> but quite familiar to Linux.

> I really would appreciate some help with this.

> Cheers,

> Leen

screen resolution at bootup

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:12:35

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> Hello all,

> In Linux it's possible to supply a kernel parameter at bootup to set the
> screen resolution, e.g.

>   kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x319

> would set the screen resolution to 1280x1024. Other resolutions are
> possible, see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt.

> My question: is something like that possible in FreeBSD? I'm new to FreeBSD,
> but quite familiar to Linux.

Sure.  Use vidcontrol(1).

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. Pentium/SCO vs RS/6000

3. Screen Resolution and virtual Screens

4. lp Problems final Formfeed on an hp laserjet

5. screen resolution on laptop LCD screen too small

6. Change blank space in Filename

7. Virtual screen size and screen resolution

8. Turtle Beach Montego II on Corel Linux

9. Changing screen resolution on multiple screen system

10. Bootup splash screen

11. blank xwindow screen on bootup

12. splash screen at bootup

13. Most common bootup failures that req "Rescue Mode" bootup?