Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Post by Trev » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:00:15

Hi All,

I'm thinking about installing FreeBSD on my Toshiba laptop.
Is there any installation tricks that I should know about before I go ahead
with it?

Will it run properly?

I'd appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.

Trev.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Post by Berk S. Daemo » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:30:23

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm thinking about installing FreeBSD on my Toshiba laptop.
> Is there any installation tricks that I should know about before I go
ahead
> with it?

> Will it run properly?

> I'd appreciate any inputs.

> Thanks.

> Trev.

I run FreeBSD and OpenBSD on a 4300 Series (literally called 4300 series)
and runs perfect!

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Post by ericg » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:56:41

I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 on a Toshiba 4300 without any problem. Only spent
little time figuring out the right values for my Xircom card into
/etc/pccard.conf. One more thing is i was unable to boot from the cdrom for the
installation. :-(

Eric.

> Hi All,

> I'm thinking about installing FreeBSD on my Toshiba laptop.
> Is there any installation tricks that I should know about before I go ahead
> with it?

> Will it run properly?

> I'd appreciate any inputs.

> Thanks.

> Trev.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Post by Trev » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:42:00

Thanks for the reply.

I kinda forgot about this post (which I posted a while ago).

I'd like to know if you were able to show the console screen-wide.
I mean, I know that if I configure X, it will use the whole screen.  But if
I don't want to use X, can I use the whole screen?

Thanks.
Trev.

Post by Berk S. Daemo » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:05:18

> Thanks for the reply.

> I kinda forgot about this post (which I posted a while ago).

> I'd like to know if you were able to show the console screen-wide.
> I mean, I know that if I configure X, it will use the whole screen.  But
if
> I don't want to use X, can I use the whole screen?

> Thanks.
> Trev.

> > I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 on a Toshiba 4300 without any problem. Only
spent
> > little time figuring out the right values for my Xircom card into
> > /etc/pccard.conf. One more thing is i was unable to boot from the cdrom
> for the
> > installation. :-(

> > Eric.

> > > Hi All,

> > > I'm thinking about installing FreeBSD on my Toshiba laptop.
> > > Is there any installation tricks that I should know about before I go
> ahead
> > > with it?

> > > Will it run properly?

> > > I'd appreciate any inputs.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Trev.

Yes.

I personally use vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600.

I hope I have that line correct, because i'm doing this off of memory. I've
set it in /etc/rc.conf with allscreens="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600". I also
enabled VESA mode in the loader.conf so that on boot up I have a 'perty'
800x600 splash screen as well.

You need to compile kernel with:

options         SC_PIXEL_MODE
options         VESA

After that, if you want say splash screen or splash to load in VESA 800x600,
then compare the values in /boot/defaults/loader.conf and simply add to
/boot/loader.conf accordingly.

vidcontrol(1) has examples too, same if you want different console fonts,
etc.

Hope that helps!

Regards!

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 DVD on FreeBSD

Post by Trev » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 05:15:32

Thanks Berk.

I'll try it out.

Trev.

> > Thanks for the reply.

> > I kinda forgot about this post (which I posted a while ago).

> > I'd like to know if you were able to show the console screen-wide.
> > I mean, I know that if I configure X, it will use the whole screen.  But
> if
> > I don't want to use X, can I use the whole screen?

> > Thanks.
> > Trev.

> > > I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 on a Toshiba 4300 without any problem. Only
> spent
> > > little time figuring out the right values for my Xircom card into
> > > /etc/pccard.conf. One more thing is i was unable to boot from the
cdrom
> > for the
> > > installation. :-(

> > > Eric.

> > ahead

> Yes.

> I personally use vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600.

> I hope I have that line correct, because i'm doing this off of memory.
I've
> set it in /etc/rc.conf with allscreens="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600". I also
> enabled VESA mode in the loader.conf so that on boot up I have a 'perty'
> 800x600 splash screen as well.

> You need to compile kernel with:

> options         SC_PIXEL_MODE
> options         VESA

> After that, if you want say splash screen or splash to load in VESA
800x600,
> then compare the values in /boot/defaults/loader.conf and simply add to
> /boot/loader.conf accordingly.

> vidcontrol(1) has examples too, same if you want different console fonts,
> etc.

> Hope that helps!

> Regards!

1. Unable to install RedHat 6.2 on Satellite Pro 4260

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260 running Windows NT. I have only one
partition (it's NTFS) and some free space on my hard disk. I've downloaded
RedHat 6.2 and it resides on my NTFS drive. I am able to boot using the boot
disk but not long after that, Linux ask to specify how the system is to be
installed. I choose "from hard disk" and it tells me that I have no hard
drive installed. Hmm... ? I looked around here and there seem to be a lot of
people running Linux on their satellite pro 4260.
Is it the hard disk controller it cannot read or because I am running NTFS ?
Anybody ?

Thanks and our help is very much appreciated.

 Louis Grenier

2. gethostby*() failure diagnostics (was Re: pardon a simple(?) question...)

3. Anyone knows if FreeBSD 4.5 will run good in a new Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 Notebook ?

4. XFree86 in RH5.0 - bug?

5. toshiba satellite pro 6000 on mandrake 9.1

6. FDDI and SCO 5.04 In MP Environment

7. Toshiba Satellite Pro TE2000 series

8. mgetty+sendfax

9. RedHat 7.0 on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320

10. S: XF86Config for Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 running RH 7.2?

11. Linux on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4270 / Boot problem.

12. Built-In Modem on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280ZDVD Laptop

13. 3Com 3c589 PCMCIA ethernet card on Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT