correct name for tape-device in FreeBSD 4.8

correct name for tape-device in FreeBSD 4.8

Post by Markus Schanovsk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:50:15

Hello!
I am not shure which tape-device-name to use in FreeBSD 4.8
I have one SCSI-tape (a HP-compatible  DLT VS80-streamer)

There are:
sa0 (or sa0.0 for the first tapedevice)
rsa0
nsa0
nrsa0

I know - the "n" at the preceding means "nonerewinding"-device.
But what's with the "r"?

My second problem is: How to switch to "hardware-compression" on the
commandline using tar or similar?
Exacuting "mt -f /dev/nsa0.0 comp on" doesn't switch the compression on - I
still have only 40 GB on the tape.

With best regards from Vienna
Mark Schanovsky

correct name for tape-device in FreeBSD 4.8

Post by Lowell Gilber » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:00:02

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> Hello!
> I am not shure which tape-device-name to use in FreeBSD 4.8
> I have one SCSI-tape (a HP-compatible  DLT VS80-streamer)

> There are:
> sa0 (or sa0.0 for the first tapedevice)
> rsa0
> nsa0
> nrsa0

> I know - the "n" at the preceding means "nonerewinding"-device.
> But what's with the "r"?

Nothing whatsoever, any more.  /dev/rsa0 and /dev/sa0 are identical.

Quote:> My second problem is: How to switch to "hardware-compression" on the
> commandline using tar or similar?
> Exacuting "mt -f /dev/nsa0.0 comp on" doesn't switch the compression on - I
> still have only 40 GB on the tape.

Make sure you're *not* doing software compression -- you can't
usefully mix the two.  In any case, check "mt status" to see what the
driver thinks the drive supports.

1. What is the correct Tape Device name Syntax?

I have been having problems with an Archive 4mm tape drive attached to a
Sparc 20.  It is running in a program written in Perl since the
programmer who set it up found out that the tape tool in Solaris 2.4
(supplied by Legato I am told) does not like Connor/Archive tape drives.

I have been trying the various syntax commands such as mt -f status
tar and cpio and the respond is that the tape is not present or off
line but it has the default SCSI of 4.

Can someone help me with some info on the right command line syntax
for checking an Archive 4mm 90mm tape status and contents?

2. Help on Motif programming!

3. FreeBSD 4.8 & Gnome Display Manager

4. Ultra-33 ATA Drivers

5. FreeBSD 4.8 and Samba 2.2.2.8a

6. BBS Development for Linux

7. freebsd 4.8 ??

8. NS451 install

9. FreeBSD 5.0, 4.8 iso images

10. FreeBSD 4.8 is now on ftp server

11. Sony Clie 415T and FreeBSD 4.8

12. FreeBSD 4.8 s10sh don't work anymore

13. STL, gcc33, FreeBSD 4.8