FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

Post by Ross Willia » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 22:10:14

FreeVeracity is a free integrity-assessment
network security tool for free platforms
(GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD etc) that
uses cryptographic hashes to detect unauthorized
changes in computer file systems. FreeVeracity
V3.2 is now available at:

   http://freeveracity.org/

In its client/server configuration, FreeVeracity
enables you to monitor the integrity of a whole
network of computers automatically from a single
point using FreeVeracity "snaplets". If so much as
a single bit in the monitored files changes, you
will be notified by email. This makes FreeVeracity
an excellent intrusion detection tool.

FreeVeracity is also an excellent general-purpose
data integrity tool whose applications include
backup verification, file transfer verification,
CD-ROM verification and remote file system
comparison.

FreeVeracity is released under the Free World
Licence (http://freeworldlicence.org/) which
provides all the usual free-software freedoms, but
for free platforms only.

FreeVeracity is released and supported by Rocksoft
(http://rocksoft.com/), vendor of the Veracity
(http://veracity.com/) integrity-assessment
security tool used to secure the networks of
leading global companies in finance,
communications, transport, aerospace, power
generation and defence.

You can download FreeVeracity and set up a
FreeVeracity integrity server (on IANA-allocated
FreeVeracity TCP port 1062) on a free platform
(GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD) in the next
thirty minutes by visiting the FreeVeracity
Website at:

   http://freeveracity.org/

I hope you find FreeVeracity useful. If you have
any comments or questions, please email me at

Ross.

Rocksoft Limited  http://rocksoft.com/
Veracity Software http://veracity.com/

FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

That's nice, but tripwire, oh my... is awesome.

Post by Marc Spitz » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:19:28

> That's nice, but tripwire, oh my... is awesome.

Could you provide some info here?  I have experence with commerical
tripwire in 150+ server data center.  We orignaly got it because it
had a neat centeral reporter thingie and it could not be made to work
well enough to be trusted/useful so we were reduced to having it send
mail every day.  The problem was that is a lot of mail for someone to
read.  I would say it is about 1/3 to 1/2 person to keep up with it.
So a 3 boxes got hacked and no one noticed until it was figured out
that ls was not working and someone had to look at the mail.  Now
freeveracity/veracity has a server for manageing multple servers that
you get full source(perl) to and it is smart.  It will notify you of a
change in state once, so if you run a check every 2 minutes on
programs that are root kit targets(ls, login, su, etc.) you get 1
message that this is broke and you do not keep getting spamed every 2
min.

Does the free version of tripwire do that?

marc

>> FreeVeracity is a free integrity-assessment
>> network security tool for free platforms
>> (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD etc) that
>> uses cryptographic hashes to detect unauthorized
>> changes in computer file systems. FreeVeracity
>> V3.2 is now available at:

>>    http://freeveracity.org/

>> In its client/server configuration, FreeVeracity
>> enables you to monitor the integrity of a whole
>> network of computers automatically from a single
>> point using FreeVeracity "snaplets". If so much as
>> a single bit in the monitored files changes, you
>> will be notified by email. This makes FreeVeracity
>> an excellent intrusion detection tool.

>> FreeVeracity is also an excellent general-purpose
>> data integrity tool whose applications include
>> backup verification, file transfer verification,
>> CD-ROM verification and remote file system
>> comparison.

>> FreeVeracity is released under the Free World
>> Licence (http://freeworldlicence.org/) which
>> provides all the usual free-software freedoms, but
>> for free platforms only.

>> FreeVeracity is released and supported by Rocksoft
>> (http://rocksoft.com/), vendor of the Veracity
>> (http://veracity.com/) integrity-assessment
>> security tool used to secure the networks of
>> leading global companies in finance,
>> communications, transport, aerospace, power
>> generation and defence.

>> You can download FreeVeracity and set up a
>> FreeVeracity integrity server (on IANA-allocated
>> FreeVeracity TCP port 1062) on a free platform
>> (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD) in the next
>> thirty minutes by visiting the FreeVeracity
>> Website at:

>>    http://freeveracity.org/

>> I hope you find FreeVeracity useful. If you have
>> any comments or questions, please email me at

>> Ross.

>> Rocksoft Limited  http://rocksoft.com/
>> Veracity Software http://veracity.com/

1. FreeVeracity integrity-assessment network security tool.

[...]

2. Floppy fails to mount - RH71, kernel 2.4.2

3. Named pipe with mknod

4. gnome problem

5. MOTIF: Customizing a Dialog