Network device setup

Post by Balendr » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:42:09

Hi BSD gurus!!

This could be a dump question!! Since I am not an IT person, I hope
that I have an exception. Anyway...

I am trying to setup a FreeBSD server and I am having some
difficulties to understand the network device configuration.
Specially, what is my host, domain, ipv4 gateway, name server, etc.
Please help me out.

Oh by the way, the system that I am trying to setup will be a http
server.

Thank you,
Balendran

Network device setup

Post by Lowell Gilber » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 03:00:48

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here.
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
<followups redirected accordingly, if I remembered the syntax correctly>

> I am trying to setup a FreeBSD server and I am having some
> difficulties to understand the network device configuration.
> Specially, what is my host, domain, ipv4 gateway, name server, etc.
> Please help me out.

You need to get that information from whoever operates your network
(service provider, network administrator, etc., as appropriate).

Quote:> Oh by the way, the system that I am trying to setup will be a http
> server.

Then you probably should pick up some basic knowledge of how the
Internet works as well.

Network device setup

Post by Mina Nagui » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 04:23:08

1. Network device -> PCI device mapping

Hi

In userspace -- is there any way I can, by only knowing the interface
name (e.g. eth0), determine which PCI device it belongs to? Any bright
ideas?

(BTW: I've tried using the SIOCGIFMAP ioctl -- which leaves me with a
base_addr and irq, but I couldn't get these matched uniquely with
/proc/bus/pci/devices)

Thanks
Ole Andr

-

2. Where is "glint" after RH6.0 upgrade?!?

3. Network device is gone -no such device

4. ip alias only works partly

5. Copy from tape device to tape device across the network

6. Cannot fork

7. Firewall setup - ?network setup during installation

8. REDHAT 5.2 NEWBIE

9. Network RAID with Linux network block device

10. 1pc, 2 network devices in same network -> ping problem

11. free tty devices over network, network tty config

12. Network Options and Network Devices together

13. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"