Why do my hard disks take off after a long idle time?

Why do my hard disks take off after a long idle time?

Post by Sir » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 12:46:44

FreeBSD 4.1 stable on an IntelPII. The disks take off with about 3-4
minutes of frantic activity. It still does it if I turn off my router so
I know it's not external access. Any ideas??

1. Why it takes a long time to connect(TCP) in this condition ?

Two Linux machines: embedded ( client ) and Ubuntu ( server ).
Everything works fine If the server is UP and listening when the
client tries to connect.
But if the server is not UP yet, then the client calls connect, it
fails ( which is OK ), but then I sleep(1) and try to connect again.
Then I start the server and I would expect the next connect call to
work fine, but it does not, it keeps failing for a while and then
after
a looooong time ( 30s or so ) it works.
I have capture the packets, I am not sure if I should post it here
and in what format, I can see that after the server is UP, SYN ACKs
are sent back from the server to the client, but the client just keep
seending more SYNs.

Thanks is advance for any comments.

2. Installing OpenServer from IDE cdrom drive ---- PLEASE HELP ME!

3. [Fwd: Re: Help: recv takes a long time to time out!]

4. What does Apache use /etc/shadow for?

5. Help: recv takes a long time to time out!

6. power pc model 6015-0C1

7. AIX 4.3 idle time: is 4% idle time acceptable?

8. inline to the extreme???

9. 2.4.2: cure the kapm-idled taking (100-epsilon)% CPU time

10. route takes very long when isdn is off

11. Telnet takes a long time to give a login prompt

12. application takes a long time to come up on DEC Unix 4.0

13. takes a long time to start a shell