Internet sharing with 3 freebsd boxes (v4.3) and win2k

Internet sharing with 3 freebsd boxes (v4.3) and win2k

Post by Rey S. Li » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:30:01

Hey,

   I was just wondering if it's possible to have internet connection sharing
for 3 486 boxes runnins freebsd 4.3 and a box running win98 or win2k. I know
that there's a few applications out there that does the job, but it only
works for Windows systems. Any ideas?

Rey

Internet sharing with 3 freebsd boxes (v4.3) and win2k

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 00:31:31

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd isn't a "real" newsgroup: in future, try
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc if possible (or better yet, the FreeBSD
mailing lists)

Quote:>    I was just wondering if it's possible to have internet connection sharing
> for 3 486 boxes runnins freebsd 4.3 and a box running win98 or win2k. I know
> that there's a few applications out there that does the job, but it only
> works for Windows systems. Any ideas?

This depends on exactly what you mean by "internet connection sharing".
Generally, the best way to share a network link is by running the FreeBSD
box as a router and the other machines on a private LAN.  This may require
network address translation, if you have fewer public Internet addresses
than you have machines.  How to set this up is quite well described in the
FreeBSD Handbook.

1. Help with sharing internet sharing on my win2k box

There are several possible ways to do that. Either use the Win2K
machine as a proxy, or setup NAT and IP Forwarding on it. Then
point the Linux box to be using the Win2K machine as gateway.
You could be using the ICS service as well, though this may be
a bit tricky to setup (it will only work with the local machine's
LAN IP being 192.168.0.1 and nothing else).

Michael

2. which nvidia card?

3. Win2K/RH 8 Network Share + Internet Share

4. help need (libstdc++ and threads)

5. Accessing the Internet thru an ICS-enabled Win2K Pro box.

6. Ulimit Hard and soft limit

7. no access to linux share from Win2k box

8. Help! Cannot get data from LDAP server.

9. Accessing internet via Win2k Box

10. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) w/Win2K & Solaris 8 Intel

11. linux win2k network and internet sharing setup

12. Connect to Win2k Workstation's HD from a FreeBSD Box

13. redhat 6.1 + win2k +internet connection sharing = good clean fun?