FreeBSD 4.3-Rlease Running on a Alteon 708 (Nortel Hybrid) switch.

FreeBSD 4.3-Rlease Running on a Alteon 708 (Nortel Hybrid) switch.

Post by Rory Sava » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 06:06:15

I am currently running RH 7.1 Linux, and FreeBSD servers on two
seperate vlans.
Until I started migrating most of our servers to FreeBSD the network
was
preforming fine, until I noticed that I was not getting the desired
transfer speed from our FreeBSD machines across the vlans.  This is
what seems to happen,
all FreeBSD machines seem to max out with a maximum trasfer rate of
about 10k/s
when sending to any other server in vlan1 or vlan2.  However if I send
from a FreeBSD server to the outside world, which passes though a
firewall and get NAT'd, I get normal transfer speeds.  Also, when I
send data via a routeable
network address to an IP in vlan1 or vlan2, I get very decent transfer
speeds.
And what's more surprising, when I transfer files from Linux to
FreeBSD, I get
full transfer speeds, but not vise versa.  I've searched the
newsgroups, and
asked around and nobody knows.  What I have done is to disable inet6,
and bpf, but alas, no luck there.  What surprises me is that the Linux
server run just fine, on vlan1 and vlan2.
I've also swap'd the ports from my Linux server to what my FreeBSD
servers are plugged into, and still no luck.  I've played with sysctl
-w kern.inet."xxxx" till I'm blue in the face, and still no luck.
What am I missing?
If you have any information, or can point me in the proper direction,
please let me know, your input is appreciated.  Thanks,

-Rory Savage

919-836-5987

1. Connecting a Nortel VPN client through OpenBSD (2.9) to Nortel VPN Switch

I am trying to allow a system on my local net (using Nortel Extranet Access
Client) to connect through my OpenBSD Gateway (ver 2.9) to my companies
Nortel VPN Switch. I have been reading a ton on esp, gre, a possible patch
to ipf but nothing seems to work and there are no definitive howto's?

Any suggestions (and please not buy a LinkSys/DLink/NetGEAR home broadband
gateway - I want to do this with my OpenBSD box and it should be possible
either via proxy or passthrough?)

Thanks in advance,

- will

2. Sunscreen by Sun

3. Xamian on FreeBSD 4.3 || X 4.1.0 on FreeBSD 4.3

4. How to use a remote printer that was installed on WIN95 ?

5. UDP 708?

6. Video modes, solaris 2.6 x86

7. Always Technology SCSI-2 AL-708 multifunction card device drivers

8. iBook hdd upgrade: possible?

9. Problem with natd, running on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE

10. running crack on freebsd 4.3?

11. dial up connection to Nortel Switch from Solaris

12. Nortel 2600 VPN Switch and IPSEC

13. How do I switch core dump format on AIX 4.3 to pre-430 style ?