video and more

Post by Alien Lifefor » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:36:11

Ok...  i've always had problems with linux and video but the newer
distributions (redhat, mandrake, caldera) all seem to handle my NVIDIA
GeForce cards and ViewSonic GS17-2 monitor w/out any problems...  thats
exactly why i spend the bucks for the quality hardware, compatability!!
but this dumb freeBSD, even when I tell the xconfig the exact frequency
etc of the card, monitor and all that stuff (that i hounded down on the
internet) it STILL 'f'..s' up my system so bad i have to start over
(totally)...  been there done that so many darn times i refuse to do it
again...  i don't even suspect 4.4 will be any better than 4.3 at this
point... so...  who among you can tell me how in the hell to set up
xfree86 so i can use kde, knome, blackbox, etc..??  i'm just to tired to
look any more...  if i get no help here, freebsd is out and i'll just
have to go full force into linux...

oh..  btw...  the damn loader always screws up my booting every time...
( i have 18gig drive w/3 os's)  looks like that may be two pretty soon..
:-(

mike

video and more

Post by Cecil Mee » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:12:14

First of all, FreeBSD isn't dumb.  It doesn't care WHAT kind of video
card you
have installed.  It's the XServer (XFree86, in this case) that
controls the gui
engine that KDE, GNOME, etc. sit on.

Once again, it isn't FreeBSD that is causing the video problems.

Ok, so, how can it be fixed?  Well, how did you install XFree86?
Did you download the sources and compile? Were there any errors during
compile?
Did you choose a package install of XFree86 from the initial setup?

Anyway, shouldn't matter.  Go to /stand/sysinstall and run that.
Choose CONFIGURE and select XSERVER setup  (you have to have a server
running before the KDE/GNOME can run).

Try using the FullGraphical setup...that way, it will test your
configuration before you launch X.  I have FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE with a
GeForce256 and Viewsonic 17" E771 and it works like a Swiss watch.

Linux may remove some of the headache from installing a GUI, but how
fun is that?  What do you learn yourself when Linux (or Windows) does
it all for you?

One of the reasons I use FreeBSD (among others) is that I love knowing
exactly how everything is running...

-cb