4.5-RELEASE kernel panic

Post by eggo » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 14:43:16

Reading through LINT I read this:

# Set the size of the mbuf KVM reservation, in clusters.  This is scaled
# by approximately 2048 bytes.  The system will auto-size the mbuf area
# if this options is not specified or set to 0.
#
options         NMBCLUSTERS=1024

So I thought id do:

options NMBCLUSTERS=0

in my main kernel to see what the auto-size would be. But when it boots it
panics.
I don't have the error on hand, but just thought you should know.
Commenting out the option works as LINT says.

4.5-RELEASE kernel panic

Post by Lowell Gilber » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 04:18:57

> Reading through LINT I read this:

> # Set the size of the mbuf KVM reservation, in clusters.  This is scaled
> # by approximately 2048 bytes.  The system will auto-size the mbuf area
> # if this options is not specified or set to 0.
> #
> options         NMBCLUSTERS=1024

> So I thought id do:

> options NMBCLUSTERS=0

> in my main kernel to see what the auto-size would be. But when it boots it
> panics.
> I don't have the error on hand, but just thought you should know.
> Commenting out the option works as LINT says.

I don't have the time to check this out myself at the moment, but you
should be aware that posting to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd isn't likely to
help at all.  This newsgroup was never officially created, and isn't
widely read.

The best way to report a bug like this is with send-pr(1).

4.5-RELEASE kernel panic

Post by Lowell Gilber » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:24:02

> > Reading through LINT I read this:

> > # Set the size of the mbuf KVM reservation, in clusters.  This is scaled
> > # by approximately 2048 bytes.  The system will auto-size the mbuf area
> > # if this options is not specified or set to 0.
> > #
> > options         NMBCLUSTERS=1024

> > So I thought id do:

> > options NMBCLUSTERS=0

> > in my main kernel to see what the auto-size would be. But when it boots it
> > panics.
> > I don't have the error on hand, but just thought you should know.
> > Commenting out the option works as LINT says.

> I don't have the time to check this out myself at the moment, but you
> should be aware that posting to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd isn't likely to
> help at all.  This newsgroup was never officially created, and isn't
> widely read.

> The best way to report a bug like this is with send-pr(1).

I submitted a bug report on this.  PR kern/34637

1. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

Hi,

I have upgraded my firewall  using ipfilter with ipnat capablity.
Buildworld process went through smoothly.   But when booting with the
upgraded kernel, booting hangs at the "Local package initialization" ..but
if I hit CTRL-C, it will finish booting and let me log in, without user
intervention, it hangs.

The good part is the firewall allows traffic going in and out, does anyone
know how to get around this problem?

Thanks so much in advance.

Dan

2. Determining which fd caused the SIGPIPE ?

3. NFS changes in Solaris 2.7?

4. help! kernel panic freebsd 4.5 mounting FAT32

5. after xfree86 compiling

6. 4.5-RELEASE kernel messages

7. Andrew for x86 Solaris ???

8. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

9. 4.5 and 5.0 RELEASE hang at boot of kernel

10. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

11. 4.5 and 5.0 RELEASE hang at boot of kernel

12. Remote Update from 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE