Linux Compatibility

Post by Couns » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:01:40

Hello:

I have successfully installed FreeBSD 5.0 on my Dell Laptop (1GHz,
512MRAM, 30GBHD, Nvidia Go chip w/ 16MB RAM).  During installation, I
did elect to install the linux compatibility.  However, during the
installation, I get an error message 1 indicating that it was not
installed.

Any suggestions?  Or do I need some more information before anyone can
help?

Counsel

Linux Compatibility

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:45:40

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I have successfully installed FreeBSD 5.0 on my Dell Laptop (1GHz,
> 512MRAM, 30GBHD, Nvidia Go chip w/ 16MB RAM).  During installation, I
> did elect to install the linux compatibility.  However, during the
> installation, I get an error message 1 indicating that it was not
> installed.

Remember that FreeBSD 5.0 isn't a "production quality" release, as the
notes on the main FreeBSD page point out.

Quote:> Any suggestions?  Or do I need some more information before anyone can
> help?

Try to install it again, using the ports or packages system *after*
installation, and you should get more informative error messages.

1. linux JRE 1.4 under linux compatibility only runs as root

I'm having the same problem.  It looks like this has been discussed on -STABLE,
-JAVA, -HACKERS, and -QUESTIONS, but to no avail:

<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=437107+0+/usr/local/www/d...>

I'm sorry for the redundant cross-post, but this looks like a hard one to
solve.

-jj

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate's form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how

2. Strange problem...

3. What RAM's for 7248-100?

4. Linux Compatibility: Toshiba Satellite T2135CS

5. Looking for www-adresses of pc-hardware manufacturers

6. Linux Compatibility Logo

7. question !!!

8. Linux-compatibility resource for RS/6000's?

9. SunOS and AIX against Linux compatibility

10. Linux compatibility - Compaq Proliant 800

11. Linux Compatibility?

12. Installing Kylix and Linux Compatibility