freeBSD boot manager

Post by Joseph Yue » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 06:43:03

I guess this question has been asked billion times....>.<
hopefully there would still be somebody willing to answer me....>.<
I just installed win2k on my system and it killed my
boot manager. I have tried several ways to get it back, but seemed
not working at all.

1. First, I've tried to use boot disk to get to the installation menu. I
    then tried to install the boot manager again from the fdisk options,
    but that didn't work out.

2. After, I tried to boot my system with the MS-Dos boot disc and then
    ran the bootinst.exe in the tools/ directory of my FreeBSD distribution.
    However, this doesn't work also.

3. I tried to boot the FreeBSD boot floppy, I then went to the "Fixit" shell
    and intended to run fdisk command. But, I don't have a Fixit floppy
    nor CDROM #2, so could find the fdisk command....>.<

Can anybody sugguest me what else can I do in order to get the boot
manager back? Thanks in advance.

freeBSD boot manager

Post by xunli » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:11:59

> I just installed win2k on my system and it killed my
> boot manager. I have tried several ways to get it back, but seemed
> not working at all.

Boot from the freebsd cdrom, enter the label editor, specify the mount
points of you slices, (but don't toggle the newfs flag).

After that it will run fsck on your slices and mount them.
In the fixit shell you now have access to the binaries.

If the bootloader is now win2k, you can enter the fixit shell and
do :
shell> mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
shell> dd if=/dev/<freebsd partition> of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

Then reboot Win2k, copy bootsect.bsd from the floppy to C:\ and edit
c:\boot.ini, adding the following c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

Hope I helped you!
xunlis

1. FreeBSD boot manager and Windows NT disk manager

Hello,

I've installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 and Windows NT 3.51 on my hard disk and use
the FreeBSD boot manager. When I call the NT disk manager it tells me
that it wants to write a signature to the disk. Does this overwrites the
boot manager?

Thanks in advance.

--

Universitaet Goettingen / Stabsstelle DV       -------------------------
Gosslerstrasse 5-7                             fon: +49 551 394160

2. mail server ????

3. boot labels in freebsd boot manager

4. login: doesn't come back.. ?

5. How do I REMOVE the FreeBSD boot manager?

6. Educational Question - non-techincal

7. How do I restore the FreeBSD Boot Manager on my disk?

8. suse linux + HP deskjet 710c ? INSTALLATION ?

9. FreeBSD boot manager not autobooting

10. FreeBSD boot manager

11. Installing the freebsd boot manager

12. Windows NT Server 3.51 & FreeBSD Boot Manager

13. FreeBSD boot manager