i need some help with ftp on freebsd 4.3

i need some help with ftp on freebsd 4.3

Post by Dilemm » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:15:37

I have installed freebsd 4.3 and apache 1.3.20 and everything works
great my only problem is that it takes ma about 20 trys befoe I can
ftp into the machine.  it keeps rejecting the connection and then
finally it will accept one.  I have tried to look through the error
logs but I cannot find one for ftp and the http logs are clear.
any help is appreciated
thanks

i need some help with ftp on freebsd 4.3

Post by Rory Sava » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 06:05:31

There are a number of things that could be wrong here.
The best thing for you to do, is paste in the ``exact'' error message,
that will help us out alot.  But, in the mean time, I will give you a
few things to check out.

If you are on a 100mb full-duplex network, make sure you NIC is set
for 100baseTX full-duplex.

Also, is your default route correct?  Do you have a default route?
netstat will become your friend.  netstat -nr should show you your
default route.

What other processes are you running?  Do you have virtual ip running
around?  Does your console complain about any errors?  and if so, what
are they?

-Rory Savage

> I have installed freebsd 4.3 and apache 1.3.20 and everything works
> great my only problem is that it takes ma about 20 trys befoe I can
> ftp into the machine.  it keeps rejecting the connection and then
> finally it will accept one.  I have tried to look through the error
> logs but I cannot find one for ftp and the http logs are clear.
> any help is appreciated
> thanks

i need some help with ftp on freebsd 4.3

Post by Dilemm » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:23:58

Thanks for your relpy.

first I am getting 1 error fairly regularly "_secure_path:
/usr/local/.login_conf is not owned by uid 1000"  I'm not sure if that
relates to my problem or not.

I typed in netstat -nr and i do have a default route but I notice 1
line in the report that was strange.  it started with a local ip but
it had a slash instead of a dot on the last set of numbers. for
example 432.43.4/43.  and under the gateway it said link#1.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again

Oh i have noticed that if I ftp in with my browser then it works.
using my browser also lets other ftp programs work.  this is very
strange.

>There are a number of things that could be wrong here.
>The best thing for you to do, is paste in the ``exact'' error message,
>that will help us out alot.  But, in the mean time, I will give you a
>few things to check out.

>If you are on a 100mb full-duplex network, make sure you NIC is set
>for 100baseTX full-duplex.

>Also, is your default route correct?  Do you have a default route?
>netstat will become your friend.  netstat -nr should show you your
>default route.

>What other processes are you running?  Do you have virtual ip running
>around?  Does your console complain about any errors?  and if so, what
>are they?

>-Rory Savage

>> I have installed freebsd 4.3 and apache 1.3.20 and everything works
>> great my only problem is that it takes ma about 20 trys befoe I can
>> ftp into the machine.  it keeps rejecting the connection and then
>> finally it will accept one.  I have tried to look through the error
>> logs but I cannot find one for ftp and the http logs are clear.
>> any help is appreciated
>> thanks

i need some help with ftp on freebsd 4.3

Post by Dilemm » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 02:02:37

I have mysql installed on my freebbsd 4.3 machine and i just got an
error wile importing some data that my /var partition is full.  is
there any way to give that partition more space?

Post by Leon Da » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:36:20

> I have mysql installed on my freebbsd 4.3 machine and i just got an
> error wile importing some data that my /var partition is full.  is
> there any way to give that partition more space?

I think the simplest way is to move /var/xxx (the dir that mysql is
accessing) to /usr/var/xxx, then create the softlink to /usr/var/xxx
as /var/xxx.

In the future if you stick in a new drive, you can mount it as
/var/xxx.

Leon

1. Xamian on FreeBSD 4.3 || X 4.1.0 on FreeBSD 4.3

is this possible?
i downloaded the X 4.1.0 binaries and all i can run is X or XFree86 ?
its config'd and everything to 1600x1400 but i have no dri support(ati
radeon) and i have to startx with & export display then start my window
manager, there must be a better way to do this?

2. kfm background image?

3. pppoe need help with freebsd 4.3

4. Real reason OpenServer is free now

5. 4.3-RELEASE on ftp.cz.FreeBSD.org

6. apache & jserv

7. FreeBSD 4.3 server: need your suggestions about this.

8. format doesn't see disk

9. help: I can't install FreeBSD 4.3 on Tekram DC-390U3W Card.

10. Help setting up mail server on FreeBSD 4.3

11. smbmount and FreeBSD 4.3 -- Help

12. X Problem (Xwrapper) FreeBSD 4.3 -PLEASE HELP QUICK

13. help with Adlib PNP sound card (FreeBSD 4.3)?