unable to login as root

Post by news.verizon.ne » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 02:48:26

While setting the default shell (using chsh as root) of the root account, I
inadvertently typed "user/local/bin/bash" instead of "usr/local/bin/bash".
I did not catch the mistake until I tried to login as root after re-booting:
"user/local/bin/bash file does not exist".

I tried logging in as another user then using su -m but keep getting
"Permission denied (shell)".

Anyone have a suggestion?  I am trying to get back in as root to correct the
mistake.

unable to login as root

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:53:43

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here.
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...

> While setting the default shell (using chsh as root) of the root account, I
> inadvertently typed "user/local/bin/bash" instead of "usr/local/bin/bash".
> I did not catch the mistake until I tried to login as root after re-booting:
> "user/local/bin/bash file does not exist".

> I tried logging in as another user then using su -m but keep getting
> "Permission denied (shell)".

> Anyone have a suggestion?  I am trying to get back in as root to correct the
> mistake.

The FreeBSD FAQ answers this question.  [short version: re-boot in
single-user mode to edit the password database]

unable to login as root

Post by Too Many Mirror » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:48:56

> While setting the default shell (using chsh as root) of the root account, I
> inadvertently typed "user/local/bin/bash" instead of "usr/local/bin/bash".
> I did not catch the mistake until I tried to login as root after re-booting:
> "user/local/bin/bash file does not exist".

> I tried logging in as another user then using su -m but keep getting
> "Permission denied (shell)".

> Anyone have a suggestion?  I am trying to get back in as root to correct the
> mistake.

Try booting into single user mode, also to use bash
#cp /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash
#echo "/bin/bash" >> /etc/shells

You can then use bash in single user mode

1. Unable to login at login prompt - not even root

Hi Folks,

If this question's already been answered a million times, please point
me at it - I've been google'ing all day and must have missed it.
Otherwise, any assistance would be ace:

I'm running a Pentium based box as my firewall. The o/s is Mandrake
8.2 with msec set to 5. I've also tried it at msec = 3 and booting to
"linux" instead of "linux-secure" - no change.

When I go to log into the machine at the console, I key in a valid
username & password, it goes to think for a bit and then clears the
screen and puts the login banner at the top with a "<host> login:"
prompt again. It *should* show me a message of the day script and some
debug notes from /etc/bashrc then log me in but it doesn't show
anything.

If I try to use an invalid login name/password it borks quickly as
expected with "Login incorrect", skips a couple of lines and puts a
new "login" prompt up.

If I use a non-existant account name it takes a long time after
entering the user name before coming back to the clear screen & login
prompt - never asks for a password.

I've gone into single user mode and removed a password from one
account - same behaviour with no errors but no access.

I've changed from /bin/bash to /bin/sh - same behaviour

I've set the shell for one user to /usr/bin/uptime to see what would
happen - same behaviour

Under msec 5 I get a "Login incorrect" if I try "root" (as expected)
but under msec 3 I get the same behaviour as if I tried with a
"normal" user.

I've gone to single user mode and run /bin/login and all works fine -
I log in as expected.

No errors being logged to auth.log for the "correct" logins - it's
just doesn't go anywhere.

Any help, pointers, constructive advice, etc would be greatfully
appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant

2. How to get full-duplex

3. unable to login as non-root user.

4. Solaris 9 install: device detection

5. Unable to root login - ideas anyone?

6. DAT Drive

7. S.O.S. for Newbie:unable to login as root!?

8. Setting up a Netmeeting Server on Linux

9. unable to login to account except root

10. Unable to login to Gnome except as root

11. Unable to login as root

12. Unable to Login as a Non-Root users when..